Yeah...been using Heavy Dunlop Tortex Jazz Picks to play Metal for a long time, but recently I started using standard thin Celluloid Fender picks...just to try them out. And I like the standard shape as it gives me more to hold on to for better control, and the thickness (or lack thereof) let's me pick the strings more accurately and my riffs don't sound like mud when playing at fast tempos. The only problem is they wear...fast. And yeah...it makes sense since they're thin picks...but...there's got to be a thin pick out there made of some sort of material that doesn't wear like that. Any suggestions?
v-picks.

however, I don't get why a really thin pick is helping you pick less muddy. it should be the other way around.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
ultex is pretty durable but it will still wear down but not as fast as celluliod
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Fender picks are well, crap from my experiences with them. They just seem to wear out faster than anything.

I use the green dunlop tortexes (.88) and they seem to last a good long while.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
Any thin pick will wear down quickly. Thicker picks will last longer but of course some people find them uncomfortable to play with. There are bone, shell and metal picks which all last longer but these have a significant impact on your tone and can be hard to get hold of (especially bone and shell picks which are illegal in many countries; most picks sold as being bone or shell are synthetic).

My advice would be to either find a balance and buy some picks which are thick enough to last longer without being so thick they are uncomfortable to use (I personally use Tortex 1.14mm picks and find each one last a couple of months before the point wears down; I've also used the Tortex 0.73mm picks which last about a month each and are very comfortable to use and the Gator Grip 0.96mm which are very accurate and last around a month each) or simply buy batch lots of thinner picks so when one wears out it doesn't matter. If you buy picks in quantities of about 50 or more there is usually a bulk discount; I buy my picks 100 at a time and it works out to be about 23p per pick, hardly anything.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by daemon9
Yeah...been using Heavy Dunlop Tortex Jazz Picks to play Metal for a long time, but recently I started using standard thin Celluloid Fender picks...just to try them out.

Any suggestions?

Go back.
Quote by AcousticMirror
v-picks.

however, I don't get why a really thin pick is helping you pick less muddy. it should be the other way around.

The flexibility, maybe? Not sure... I notice I use less effort in trying to be accurate when using those thin picks. My alternate pick runs...like the verse riff in Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire are more clear and consice. I thought it was really weird, tbh...
I dunno, I started playing on my acoustic with these really thin nylon picks and did all my initial metronome drills with thin picks but I got to a point where I just couldn't just them anymore.

the vpick i use is expensive but I take good care of them. I got 2 of the ones I use currently and I still have both after about a month. they haven't worn down at all.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I don'y play really fast and I am not a hard attacker. I use SD Brain Picks .88mm if I am playing rhythym and Jazz IIIs if I am doing lots of alternate picking. It all depends on what feels comfortable to you. To be completely honest, I could play what I play with any pick, even a nylon .73.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Ok...I thought of something...and hopefully someone already beat me to it and these are already in production. I want a pick with the point like the Dunlop Tortex Jazz pick, but the body of a standard pick. Does that make sense? Do those exist?
Dunlop Tortex picks. What thickness are you using? It probably comes in standard size. I use Tortex 1mm's (the blue ones).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Try stone picks.

I just picked up some agate and some jade ones from:

http://www.picksandstones.com/
http://www.stonepicks.com/

and am considering some others from:

http://www.dugainpicks.com/

The jade ones and 2 of the agate ones are standard-ish flat and 1.5-2mm in thickness. 2 of the agates are 2.5-3mm thick, and feel like Dunlop Stubby picks.

So far, despite my harshest abuse, neither the jade nor the agate picks have shown wear. And the reason is this: those materials have a higher Mohs rating than the strings. They'll no more wear down from use than your kitchen counter will be eroded by a bar of soap.

Theoretically, they should last forever with normal use.

However, there are tradeoffs: the better ones (read, those with extra features like special points or grooves for improved grip or custom tweeks) cost more, sometimes a LOT more, than standard picks. In addition, because of the crystalline structure of the materials, they may shatter if dropped onto a hard surface. This also means no flex at all unless you buy one of the thinnest of the thin...and then you risk outright breakage. As in, snap in two.

With their high polish and extreme hardness, they simply glide over the strings.

The ones from Picks & Stones have the widest variability in shape and features.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by daemon9
Ok...I thought of something...and hopefully someone already beat me to it and these are already in production. I want a pick with the point like the Dunlop Tortex Jazz pick, but the body of a standard pick. Does that make sense? Do those exist?

If I'm reading this right you're talking about a Dunlop Sharp.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Tortex-Sharp-Guitar-Picks-1-Dozen-104318274-i1176440.gc
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
If you do not mind having absolutely no flex in your picks then you cant lose with starpics http://www.starpicsaustralia.com.au/products.htm though I rather just keep using my Dunlop .50's even though they do wear out pretty quick.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Aug 28, 2010,
1mm nylon picks....i`ve been using the same pick for 2 years (picks are like £0.50 to £1 shouldn`t even be a issue).....yes the gnomes haven`t tried to get it yet.
I got two 1mm XL Series Jazz IIIs that ive been using for about 4 months now. And they bairly have any wear.
I just started using Dava picks. Their gel material is really nice - gives a pretty snappy tone it seems and so far I've seen little wear, my favoured gel jazz pick is still smooth as ever. They might well be worth a look.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then