sorta... It's a good way to get the raw skills needed to lock with a drummer., but its not teaching you HOW to do it.

IF that makes no sense its sorta like soloing.
is practicing scales a good way to learn how to solo? it helps but the only way to get good at soloing is to solo. its the same with a drummer.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Yes and no. It helps you with your rhythm obviously, but a metronome doesn't account for the human factor of playing with an actual drummer.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
its a good way to get a feel of what you'll be needing to do but not exactly the same thing, unless your drummer is just playing extremely simple 2/4 rock beats, then its pretty much the same thing.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
but im guessing the improvement of your timing by the metronome does help you to build a foundation with playing with a drummer?
Best way to learn to lock in with drummer is to play with drummer, if u don't have one - drum machine will do it fine.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by C0_0kie
Best way to learn to lock in with drummer is to play with drummer, if u don't have one - drum machine will do it fine.

+1

Drummers are human. Metronomes are machines. It sounds stupid obvious, but the human factor makes this different that if you practice JUST with a metronome. Every drummer i have played with had their own 'style' with their own set of 'things' they would do/not do. The more you play with a person, the more you can feel them out and that's what makes 'locking in' a possibility.
Metronomes are useful in that they make your playing and rhythm consistent throughout a song. They are a good starting place for locking in with a drummer because they train your ear to lock to an external source, the "click", a skill that will help you with a drummer later on.

Drum machines are "second best" to a drummer. They are very consistent and will teach your ear to lock to different elements in a drum kit--above all the bass drum and the ride/crash cymbal. If you don't want to invest in a cheap keyboard or drum loop machine, there are several on line share ware programs. I use Hydrogen myself.

Drummers are the best. Good ones will react to what you are doing and allow you to play against what they are doing. They teach you to balance your fills against their fills etc.
Depends on the drummer, does the drummer have good timing ? If not then it´ll hurt more then help. If yes then thats how you learn to groove.
Any drummer worth his metal will always practice with a metronome so it makes sense for other musicians to do the same, it WILL improve your time keeping no doubts.
You need to think of the metronome as another instrument rather than something you need to stick to rigidly, give it a few weeks and you'll forget it's there.

As a drummer who's recently taken up guitar I can confirm, there's nothing worse than a bass player who races off and the rest of the band is left trying to keep up lol
A metronome can teach you to play in time and keep the time while doing crazy little fills. For locking in, though, you need a real drummer. A metronome can't give you a rhythm...only the tempo.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Metronome practice is very useful though, to get licks up to speed and such. It will help a little, but only to the extent of helping you keep in time with music in general.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Listening to the kick drum is a good way to practice locking in with a drummer.
Obviously you need to be able to keep time too.
It will help with timing but its not as good. What I do when I can't find a drummer is open up Garageband on my computer and set it up to play a bunch of drum loops, then improvise over that
Bottom line i think is metronome is a step in the right direction, and will help. I practiced with a drum machine to get used to listening for the drum beat (just set to keep tempo to the tune I wanted to do), and when I started jamming with a real drummer it was pretty easy then.