Single coils have better breakup IMO, and as far as clean playing goes, there is no contest. This is why many blues players prefer single coil Strats.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
what about during like a solo or something? like i do prefer single coils while playing clean though, hum just kinda over does it
To be honest, it's more of a preference thing. I absolutely LOVED the sounds I was getting when my Strat had single coils, but then again I love the low end I get from buckers even more. That's just the tone I want and prefer.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
so if i were to coil tap my two hums on a hh setup would i loose quality from my humbuckers sound?
If you was to do it with push/pulls it would just make it that much more versatile. If you have the money to drop on that kind of mod, then go for it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Ranelbau
so if i were to coil tap my two hums on a hh setup would i loose quality from my humbuckers sound?

No, the humbuckers would sound exactly the same, but you'd get an additional single coil sound (it doesnt sound like a true single coil, but its still a good sound)
alright sounds good, can anyone reccommend a a hum that will can split and give me like a really tight but super clear distortion that i can put in my bridge and then something i could use clean for like more jazz kinda stuff that is really clear. i absolute hate muddy sound.

i forgot to mention that i want the two pickups to be splitable
Dimarzio D-Sonic. And almost all humbuckers nowadays are splittable, at least from the major manufacturers. Just make sure they're 4 conductor (need to be to be splittable)
They're expensive but any pickup related thread I have to preach about them.

Bare Knuckle pickups are great. Great tones, great customer service. My pair of Nailbombs should be arriving any day now and I'm adding a push/pull to my tone knob to allow coil splitting, can't wait.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory