Hey guys been playing for bout four years with my Flying V and have been using a microcube lol. It has served me well over the years and I cant say anything bad about it other then I wish it had more treble, and that it isnt a Marshall stack lol.

I am trying to decide between the two above amps. I play everything (or try too lol) from, America and 80s rock to Incubus muse to Blink 182 and Sum 41 Linkin Park and BFMV and beyond. I like alot of different music it just depends what mood I am in.

I am just concerned that the VOX wont have enough go. I guess I dont really need like the chugga chugga heavy heavy, but when I played the VOX it didnt seem like it has the punch of the Peavy. I have watched a few vids on youtube and the cleaner settings didnt sound bad at all on the Peavy (havent tried one in person).

Any opinions would be great!

Also I read the 60 is a tube where the 75 is solid state?
Last edited by Hawk777th at Jul 8, 2010,
I would take the Vypyr, because it handles just about everything where the Vox will stop at pop punk at best. Still, go to your local store and try both because in the end, its your opinion that counts and your the one playing it.
And yeah, the 75 is a solid state where the 60 is a tube.
Quote by Metalcore Jero
I would take the Vypyr, because it handles just about everything where the Vox will stop at pop punk at best. Still, go to your local store and try both because in the end, its your opinion that counts and your the one playing it.
And yeah, the 75 is a solid state where the 60 is a tube.

Not true, the Vox can do metal too.

I don't have any experience with the Vox, OP, but the Vypyr sounded pretty good to my ears, all the effects were usable, etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Vox might be able to, but it wont sound anywhere near as good. The 6505 and XXX settings on the Peavey would destroy the Vox on metal. He'd need to spend even more on pedals to get a decent distorted metal tone in comparison to the pre loaded Peavey settings
To be honest what you would do is a side step, eventually a tiny bit of a step forward.

The Vypyrs and VTs are still just modelling practice amps, just like your Cube and are pretty much in the same category as your Cube. The only difference is that those 2 are louder and bigger. Basically they are oversized practice amps.

If you want a "real" upgrade you should look at higher end modellers or tube amps or whatever.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
75W practice amps...wha? ...why?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I'm assuming your price range is sub-$400 USD?

Quote by bogg808

Somewhere around 500 bucks roughly I mean if I am getting something worlds better for more money I wouldn't hesitate to spend a bit more but around there.
Quote by Hawk777th
What would u consider and upgrade then?

Depends on your budget and if you would go used.

Maybe a Peavey 6505(+)/XXX combo, a Blackstar HT-20/40 or something like that would work for you.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'm assuming since you've gone so long with the Micro-Cube you're not in a band or gigging, so maybe something like the Blackstar HT-5, then you'd have some room in your budget for a pedal or two to spice things up. I've never played the combo ($400), but I demoed the head/cab in Nashville, found it quite nice, and they generally get good reviews around here. It may not be able to nail some of your heavier stuff, but you could use your extra $100 or so to grab an OD to sort that out.

Quote by bogg808

I guess, If I am not really making an improvement in the amp compared to the cube then why would I spend that much lol. No I am not in a band I just play with one of my friends for fun is all.

5w doesnt seem like that much or is this higher end stuff?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-5-Series-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105154413-i1434794.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Studio-HT-20-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-423766-i1521957.gc

Probably leaning towards the 20w.

Im taking it I would have to have a pedal with these?

Can these things go into the metal world and that? Or are these more rock blues amps.
Quote by Hawk777th
I guess, If I am not really making an improvement in the amp compared to the cube then why would I spend that much lol. No I am not in a band I just play with one of my friends for fun is all.

5w doesnt seem like that much or is this higher end stuff?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-5-Series-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105154413-i1434794.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Studio-HT-20-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-423766-i1521957.gc

Probably leaning towards the 20w.

Im taking it I would have to have a pedal with these?

Can these things go into the metal world and that? Or are these more rock blues amps.

The HT-20 and higher wattage models can do metal on their own from what I have heard. The HT-5 would need a boost, which means you need an OD pedal to boost it for metal.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Was looking at the dist or dist x. I am not real knowledgeable about tubes do they have to be replaced is it something I can do or they have to be sent back.
Most accounts say tube pedals are kinda gimmick-y. You can do better for the money, if you want an OD, I highly suggest the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. Check it out.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by Hawk777th
Was looking at the dist or dist x. I am not real knowledgeable about tubes do they have to be replaced is it something I can do or they have to be sent back.

Basically if you are not gigging, you have to change tubes about every 1 or 2 years, if you think you can't do it yourself you can bring it to a shop and get them changed.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Im a electronics geek I can probly figure it out. Is there much difference between the 40 and the HT60? And I might need a pedal I guess but my V is pretty hot on the pickups!
Quote by Hawk777th
Im a electronics geek I can probly figure it out. Is there much difference between the 40 and the HT60? And I might need a pedal I guess but my V is pretty hot on the pickups!

I think the difference is in the wattage and the features, just look through the descriptions on the Blackstar website.

What kind of V do you have?

If you need a cheap boost pedal, a Digitech Bad Monkey will work very well for that.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Its a Gibby flying V 469R 500T Hums. Are tube amps pedals different than solid state.
Quote by Hawk777th
Its a Gibby flying V 469R 500T Hums. Are tube amps pedals different than solid state.

Well, there are some differences:

Tube amps sound better the louder they are, solid state amps sound worse and worse when getting louder.
(Good) tube amps let the guitar's own tone shine through much better (IMO).
Most people prefer tube amps' tone.
They are louder than solid SS amps.
They are easier to repair than SS amps.
They sound 'warmer' than SS amps.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ya I am ready to pull the trigger, am deciding between the 40 and 60 the 60 has a gain knob I am guessing that would help at lower volumes? And it has presence on it aswell. For more distortion do I want a Drive or Distortion pedal?
Quote by Hawk777th
Ya I am ready to pull the trigger, am deciding between the 40 and 60 the 60 has a gain knob I am guessing that would help at lower volumes? And it has presence on it aswell. For more distortion do I want a Drive or Distortion pedal?

If i recall correctly..

Overdrive Pedals boost the gain of the preamp, making your tone heavier

Distortion Pedals make your amps sound warmer, whilst also making them heavier

In my very limited experience, Overdrive is used to boost a weaker od channel on an amp to metal territory, where as distortion pedal are more used to go straight from clean to heavy.
^ Distortion pedals do not necessarily make tone warmer, but otherwise you're pretty spot on...

What you'll want is an overdrive pedal to boost the amp for solos, or just general 'tightening' purposes to really make your sound thick and come alive. The Bad Monkey, as already mentioned, is great at doing that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Hawk777th

AFAIK all the HT amps have a gain knob.

For more distortion you'll need an overdrive pedal, popular choices are the Digitech Monkey if you don't want to spend a lot, if you have some more cash the Ibanez Tube Screamer 808 or the Maxon OD808 (which is its clone) is a popular choice.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The boost will add up to 10db of level and can be used in conjunction with the OD Body switch for fat, singing leads. That wait it says about the extra knob lol. I am pretty noob when it comes to amps. I may just get the 40.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
The newer Valvetronix seem to have more metal models.

yea a VT should be able to handle any genre

I tried in the store with a Squier Standard Strat

WHAT

A

COMBO.

If I had 500 dollars, and not a single piece of equipment, I would def. grab a Squier Strat Standard and a VT15 right now and a hardshell case ofc... also some other accessories
Quote by B.Renegades
yea a VT should be able to handle any genre

I tried in the store with a Squier Standard Strat

WHAT

A

COMBO.

If I had 500 dollars, and not a single piece of equipment, I would def. grab a Squier Strat Standard and a VT15 right now and a hardshell case ofc... also some other accessories

Either the fail or the sarcasm is very strong on this one.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Hawk777th
Hey guys been playing for bout four years with my Flying V and have been using a microcube lol. It has served me well over the years and I cant say anything bad about it other then I wish it had more treble, and that it isnt a Marshall stack lol.

I am trying to decide between the two above amps. I play everything (or try too lol) from, America and 80s rock to Incubus muse to Blink 182 and Sum 41 Linkin Park and BFMV and beyond. I like alot of different music it just depends what mood I am in.

I am just concerned that the VOX wont have enough go. I guess I dont really need like the chugga chugga heavy heavy, but when I played the VOX it didnt seem like it has the punch of the Peavy. I have watched a few vids on youtube and the cleaner settings didnt sound bad at all on the Peavy (havent tried one in person).

Any opinions would be great!

Also I read the 60 is a tube where the 75 is solid state?

i have a vypyr 30 watt combo. i have got to say it is one of the most versatile pieces of work i've ever had the pleasure of growing up with. i got it when i was 13. i started out playing things like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. Now i have grown into the screamo scene and it was an easy change. (sound wise.) so whatever sound you want, the vypyr produces. hope this comment helps.