Page 1 of 2
my uncle is getting payed soon for a roofing job he's working on and he said he would buy me something as soon as he does. I figure since the V22 I'm saving up for doesn't have very br00tal distortion, I should probably have him grab me a distortion pedal.

Whats the best one you can think of for under 70 dollars?

I want distortion/fuzz that can handle the tones of these songs...

Murder Train A Commin'
Run to the Hills
The Thing That Should Not Be
War Pigs
Mechanix

i think you get the idea

any ones come to mind?
To be honest mate, you're not going to get a spectacular distortion for that price. However, a versatile distortion pedal at that price is the MXR Distortion III. It won't do metallica thrash, but you could use it to boost your amp's lead channel for some higher gain stuff. It's a very nice crunch pedal.
^ This. Save up more. There's nothing brilliant in that price range unless you pick up a used MT-2 and Keeley Twilight mod it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
^ This. Save up more. There's nothing brilliant in that price range unless you pick up a used MT-2 and Keeley Twilight mod it.

I don't think you actually read my post.

my uncle is BUYING ME SOMETHING

not giving me cash

I don't have the option to "save"
Quote by NakedInTheRain
To be honest mate, you're not going to get a spectacular distortion for that price. However, a versatile distortion pedal at that price is the MXR Distortion III. It won't do metallica thrash, but you could use it to boost your amp's lead channel for some higher gain stuff. It's a very nice crunch pedal.

Oh no no no, please do NOT push the preamp of a SS amp. Horrible! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL is the only thing it'll do. Boosting your amp with an OD pedal is something that can be done with TUBE amps.

But i agree, for 70$ you wont get anything nice. Save up for a EHX metal muff, which is around 100$ (don't know the exact price, but google will tell you). That will be the closest to 'good distortion' you will get with a minor budget.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Oh no no no, please do NOT push the preamp of a SS amp

The Bugera V22 is a tube amp...
Quote by B.Renegades

not giving me cash

Well, then you don't have the option "good distortion".
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by B.Renegades
The Bugera V22 is a tube amp...

DOH

my bad.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Well, then you don't have the option "good distortion".

then what do YOU think I should ask my uncle to get me?
order something of http://www.daddys.com/

i bought my zakk wylde overdrive pedal off there, it retails for like $100 and i got it for $50, so if you can find a deal like that, you could get something pretty good and save money on it
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
wont be able to do online shopping, other than maybe Craigslist

im thinking I should have him buy me a Roland Cube 15X, just to "tide me over" til I get my Bugera V22 (which won't be for a while)
Check out craigslist, there are some gems to be found. And also be wary of 'tide-me-over' amps, as I got one a few weeks back (because both my MG15 and my V55 crapped out), with the notion that it would tide me over for a few weeks until I could save up for my next amp. I hated the sound, and took it back the next day.

But yeah, is a pedal all that you'd want? Maybe get a few packs of strings or something? Maybe you need a capo or a slide? Or all of the above? It sounds to me at the moment that until you get a new amp, anything that you play through your GT-5 won't sound the way that you want it to. How far are you away from affording the V22?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Check out craigslist, there are some gems to be found. And also be wary of 'tide-me-over' amps, as I got one a few weeks back (because both my MG15 and my V55 crapped out), with the notion that it would tide me over for a few weeks until I could save up for my next amp. I hated the sound, and took it back the next day.

But yeah, is a pedal all that you'd want? Maybe get a few packs of strings or something? Maybe you need a capo or a slide? Or all of the above? It sounds to me at the moment that until you get a new amp, anything that you play through your GT-5 won't sound the way that you want it to. How far are you away from affording the V22?

well as soon as I get my 200 dollars that an unnamed person owes me, I can sell my crybaby on CL for like 40, (that makes 240 ), and just wait til a used one comes up on CL (i see them all the time in my area, people buy Bugeras a lot here. Mid Michigan is just a hive for country/blues guitarists)

But, I most likely won't be getting the 200 for a while.
Actually ef that dude I freaking need that pedal... half the songs I know require it for the solo

Probably wont be getting it until xmas then >.<

Unless im lucky and see one for 200 on CL
Quote by B.Renegades

not giving me cash

Tough titties then. You also paid no attention to the very plausible suggestion I made in my post.

If your uncle wants to do something for you why not ask him if he'll contribute to your amp fund. It's a better idea than buying a pedal that might not sound good through your amp or an amp that's a waste of money if you're getting another one anyway.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
Tough titties then. You also paid no attention to the very plausible suggestion I made in my post.

If your uncle wants to do something for you why not ask him if he'll contribute to your amp fund. It's a better idea than buying a pedal that might not sound good through your amp or an amp that's a waste of money if you're getting another one anyway.

No it would just be burning a whole in my pocket for 1+ months then..

I guess I could pick up one of the new Pokemon games. That should be fun.
Quote by B.Renegades
I guess I could pick up one of the new Pokemon games. That should be fun.

I think this is your best bet. It does sound like fun.

And to keep this spam free or if you change your mind. Get a Boss SD-1. You can pick them up on craigslist for about $35. That way you could get two of them.
^^Now you've done it. Pokemon? And you're fifteen? You're right getting laid IS overrated.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
First off, unless you're willing to buy used (and most likely online, depending how your local music community is) then you're not going to find a decent sounding pedal in your price range.

Second, why are you saving for an amp that doesn't suit your style. If you need a decent sounding distortion then why not buy an amp with a nice drive channel?
Quote by tubetime86
^^Now you've done it. Pokemon? And you're fifteen? You're right getting laid IS overrated.

whats wrong with pokemon?

Second, why are you saving for an amp that doesn't suit your style. If you need a decent sounding distortion then why not buy an amp with a nice drive channel?

Yeah I don't really get it either, but everyone here seems to think a Bugera V22 is my best bet.
Quote by B.Renegades

Yeah I don't really get it either, but everyone here seems to think a Bugera V22 is my best bet.

Nope.

We gave you way better advice that you ignored in your previous ten threads about the same topic.
Quote by eyebanez333
Nope.

We gave you way better advice that you ignored in your previous ten threads about the same topic.

Previous two threads you mean?

Not even the point, I was suggested a Bugera V22 and everyone seemed to jump on that band wagon.

I personally don't want it, but then again you guys know better than I.

Guess I'll just conform.

How very un-rocker of me.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334880

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333927

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334637

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332749

Here's 4...plus this one. So you're right...it's only 5. But still dude, seriously. All threads of yours end up with the same results...you expect us to find your dream amp in a ridiculously low budget. I suggest you re-vist these threads...write down the amps we've suggested...AND GO PLAY THEM! Go to a guitar shop, and play everything you can get your hands on...find an amp YOU LIKE! Then save money and buy that amp.
Quote by eyebanez333
I suggest you re-vist these threads...write down the amps we've suggested...AND GO PLAY THEM! Go to a guitar shop, and play everything you can get your hands on...find an amp YOU LIKE! Then save money and buy that amp.

+1
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by eyebanez333
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334880

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333927

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334637

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332749

Here's 4...plus this one. So you're right...it's only 5. But still dude, seriously. All threads of yours end up with the same results...you expect us to find your dream amp in a ridiculously low budget. I suggest you re-vist these threads...write down the amps we've suggested...AND GO PLAY THEM! Go to a guitar shop, and play everything you can get your hands on...find an amp YOU LIKE! Then save money and buy that amp.

2 of those werent in search of an amp, one was in search of a demo; the other, a ngd thread.

So I was right. 2. Plus this one, 3
Quote by B.Renegades
2 of those werent in search of an amp, one was in search of a demo; the other, a ngd thread.

So I was right. 2. Plus this one, 3

My point still stands. Every thread you have another idea of what you want. Have you actually played any of these amps? Coming to UG for advice is a start, but you need to go play the amps we've recommended. Like this thread...if you get an amp that suits your needs better, you probably won't need a pedal at all. If I were in your position...I'd get busy saving some money. You're young..mow some lawns or something. Get a job washing dishes... In the meantime, go to a guitar shop and play every amp under $1000...chances are, you can find that very same amp for around, or less than $500 if you look used. $500 is nothing to save up, your almost halfway there. Why spend your current budget on another amp you don't want? (again, this last part has been said before).
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
My point still stands. Every thread you have another idea of what you want. Have you actually played any of these amps? Coming to UG for advice is a start, but you need to go play the amps we've recommended. Like this thread...if you get an amp that suits your needs better, you probably won't need a pedal at all. If I were in your position...I'd get busy saving some money. You're young..mow some lawns or something. Get a job washing dishes... In the meantime, go to a guitar shop and play every amp under $1000...chances are, you can find that very same amp for around, or less than $500 if you look used. $500 is nothing to save up, your almost halfway there. Why spend your current budget on another amp you don't want? (again, this last part has been said before).

Eh...

With XMas comming up, I think i'll be alright

Just get a roland cube to use until then

Thanks tho
Quote by B.Renegades
whats wrong with pokemon?

What's wrong with getting laid?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
What's wrong with getting laid?

she could make fun of my more than likely sub-par sexual performance
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So....keep the Cube and get Pokemon. Great idea.

+1

I give up...

I thought maybe...just maybe...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So....keep the Cube and get Pokemon. Great idea.

I think what im gonna do is this

get Roland Cube shortly (from uncle)
get Epiphone Valve JR Half Stack when I get my 200 (one used in my area for 180)
get boss ds1 with leftover 20 dollars
get Boss GE7, DD3, PH3, and TU3 for XMas
get ESP LTD MH53 for B-Day (Feb)
enjoy more than half way decent rig
get a job
Save up for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo
sell DS1
buy SD1
Save up for Gibson 1974 Gold Top Les Paul
graduate high school
start metal band
rock the 2013+ era
Quote by B.Renegades
I think what im gonna do is this

get Roland Cube shortly (from uncle)
get Epiphone Valve JR Half Stack when I get my 200 (one used in my area for 180)
get boss ds1 with leftover 20 dollars
get Boss GE7, DD3, PH3, and TU3 for XMas
get ESP LTD MH53 for B-Day (Feb)
enjoy more than half way decent rig
get a job
Save up for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo
sell DS1
buy SD1
Save up for Gibson 1974 Gold Top Les Paul
graduate high school
start metal band
rock the 2013+ era

i didn't see get job in there anywhere....
Quote by gregs1020
why do you constantly ignore good advice?

because i dont care what you think is good, to ME, its about what I think is good
Quote by B.Renegades
because i dont care what you think is good, to ME, its about what I think is good

Then go away. Why post here if you don't care what we think?
Page 1 of 2