StompUnderFoot Hellaphant
2 6%
Keeley Fuzz Head
1 3%
Other
9 26%
Voters: 34.
Page 1 of 2
So I have been researching Fuzz pedals like crazy and there are to many to count. So far the ones that have sounded the best to me(via YouTube) are listed, which one will get me the closest to the classic fuzz to modern fuzz tones. I am looking to get in the realm of WolfMother, White Stripes, and some of the Classic Rock fuzz tones. Gear is listed below.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Last edited by 1ArmyGuitar at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
So I have been researching Fuzz pedals like crazy and there are to many to count.

Actually, that isn't as bad as you think. If you really get into fuzz pedals, you'll notice that there are only a couple of different types of fuzz. You have:
1. Fuzz Face (Jimi Hendrix used a Fuzz Face, it's a more splattery en rough fuzz)
2. Big Muff (Used by Gilmour on the Time and Comfortably Numb solos. Very smooth and scooped sound)
3. Tonebender (A more crunchy-like fuzz, used alot by Jimi Page, Whole Lotta Love for instance)
4. Superfuzz (A high gain, sustainy fuzz, like on Live at Leeds)
5. Octavia (Fuzz with an octave up, also used by Jimi Hendrix, on Purple Haze for instance)
Then there are a couple of original designs but most fuzzes are based on one of those types.

So step one is looking for which type of fuzz you prefer. Based on the info in you original post I think a Big Muff would suit you well.

Step two is finding the best fuzz of that certain type (within a specified budget or other criteria). So, out of the ones you listed I'd go for either the Violet Ram's Head or the Muff with Tone wicker.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Actually, that isn't as bad as you think. If you really get into fuzz pedals, you'll notice that there are only a couple of different types of fuzz. You have:
1. Fuzz Face (Jimi Hendrix used a Fuzz Face, it's a more splattery en rough fuzz)
2. Big Muff (Used by Gilmour on the Time and Comfortably Numb solos. Very smooth and scooped sound)
3. Tonebender (A more crunchy-like fuzz, used alot by Jimi Page, Whole Lotta Love for instance)
5. Octavia (Fuzz with an octave up, also used by Jimi Hendrix, on Purple Haze for instance)
Then there are a couple of original designs but most fuzzes are based on one of those types.

So step one is looking for which type of fuzz you prefer. Based on the info in you original post I think a Big Muff would suit you well.

Step two is finding the best fuzz of that certain type (within a specified budget or other criteria). So, out of the ones you listed I'd go for either the Violet Ram's Head or the Muff with Tone wicker.

WtrPlyr, thanks for the quick response and helpful info. I really dug the Tone Reaper, Big Muff, and Keeley in that order the most. Price wise the Big Muff is the best, I found a good deal on the Keeley, and the other 3 aren't to much more. I might have to give the Big Muff a try being the cheapest of the 5 listed.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
i think you'd like the tonebender.. couple that with an amp in mid-overdrive or light overdrive for dirty tonal heaven.
Quote by jimzer
i think you'd like the tonebender.. couple that with an amp in mid-overdrive or light overdrive for dirty tonal heaven.

I think the Tone Reaper is based off of that
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Yup, it's a MKIII Tone Bender if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with having a few different fuzzes on your board (if money lets you). It's very fun and you can get very cool sounds. atm I have a Fuzz Face (MJM London Fuzz) and a Big Muff (Blackout Eff. Musket Fuzz).
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Jul 8, 2010,
Have you listened to the 'Way Huge Swollen Pickle' too? that's a pretty cool fuzz imo, with lot's of possibilities
I say go with the Tone Reaper, cause I have an automatic bias towards Tone Bender clones.
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by WtrPlyr
Yup, it's a MKIII Tone Bender if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with having a few different fuzzes on your board (if money lets you). It's very fun and you can get very cool sounds. atm I have a Fuzz Face (MJM London Fuzz) and a Big Muff (Blackout Eff. Musket Fuzz).

More fuzz is always a fun idea. If you were looking into a higher price range as well a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz is a fantastic Big Muff variant. I like more than the standard muff because you can clean it up with your volume knob.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Man lots of good advice and info here guys, thanks. Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz, Ill check this one out as well. Anyone like the Keeley, only reason I ask is because I found a really good deal on one, and from what I have heard it sounds good. But as stated multiple fuzz pedals cant hurt. But based off of YouTube vids, so far the Tone Reaper and Big Muff Pi w/TW are the front runners.(Now I know thats not the best way, but I dont have a ton of spare time to make runs to shops to demo if they even carry them)
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
You might have a hard time finding a Musket in Europe. Crushthebutton.be had one a couple of weeks ago, but it's not easy to find one. I never played the Keeley or even heard it, so I can't comment on it.
I will be buying one or some of these via the net stateside, or if I find a good deal in the classifieds.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
supersonic fuzz gun

/thread

actually wmd devices has a new analog fuzz pedal coming out that looks effin sick.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I really like how the blackout effectors fuzz pedals sound, but they are a little costly.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
Look at the dba fuzz war, supersonic fuzz gun
eartthquaker devices monarch, hoof.

If you were just going for say jack's sound I'd say just get the muff that he uses but since you want a variety of different sounds out of the pedal I'd say go for something a lot more versatile.

the fuzz gun is super response to pickup output and you can dial in exactly how much fuzz and density and attack you want. It won't do the wall that a big muff will do that underlays your entire sound but it will allow you to power chord like say on the opening to seven nation army. The only downside is that it will clean up a bunch on single notes.

You should check this out.

http://www.wmdevices.com/images/atboxbig.jpg

It just came out and it looks tasty. Full control over the entire freq band of distortion. but if you want a simple wall of fuzz go with eh. they is cheap and has great resales.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
i am a real boy yes. wtf is your problem. do you know more about fuzzes then I do?

my buddies shop is an earthquaker devices dealer.

i am for real.

you think you know more about fuzzes then I do?

i hope you like apples.

It's just.. yeah I don't know. You are sooo knowledgable about fuzzes yet you advice something he totally isn't looking for.
it's got independent bias, density and fuzz controls and a self oscillator circuit. it sounds like whatever you want it to.

if you guys can't dial in a wolfmother or white stripes sound on the fuzz gun it's your ears that are shoddy.

Ya'll see on the poll where it says other? Just making sure ya'll eyes are working better then your ears.
Oh yeah, my ears, that's the problem.
and its the other option that is a license for stupidity? k, i'll remember that for next time.

The DBA Fuzz War would do the sounds TS asked for a gazillion times better than the Fuzz Gun, but I wouldn't recommend that either. SUF VHR is the way to go. The BMP w/tw is noisey and the NYC RI tones have too much of a mid-cut.
Quote by AcousticMirror
supersonic fuzz gun

/thread

actually wmd devices has a new analog fuzz pedal coming out that looks effin sick.

Wrong. Supersonic fuzz gun won't get him into that terrority anywhere near as easily as a muff with tone wicker would.
Quote by WtrPlyr

This is helpful TS. You can get some good sounds by driving the amp a little bit before you put fuzz on too. Hendrix for instance would play really loud but we know this isn't possible for everyone so i find a good start is to drive the amp abit and play about with your eq controls aswell as adjusting your fuzz amount, with the muff for isntance you really don't need to put the fuzz up much to get into classic rock areas.
Thanks for all the advice and helpful info UG. I will continue to look into the additional fuzz pedals mentioned. As of now I am leaning towards the Tone Reaper or BMP w/TW, as I now know they are based off of 2 different fuzz's(Thanks WtrPlyr for the info)
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
why all the votes for the big muff? it's a decent pedal but it completely thickens the tone into this scooped mush.. its a bit overrated imo. i havent tried the tone wicker version
the tone reaper sounds good to me though. maybe i just dig vintage fuzzes more
Rainger Doctor Freakenstein Fuzz. And yeah the Tone Wicker out of those ones.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
You could try the Red Witch Fuzz God II though it's quite pricey.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I wouldn't argue with acoustic on this one. He's owned more gear than all of us combined and knows his shit better than anyone. The fuzz Gun gets some great JAck White tones, it has that jumpy edgy sound to it. People think get a big muff and be done with it for his tone, when really there's better options. Muffs are deep scooped, which isn't how Jack sounds alot of the time.
meh
^I think acousticmirror normally gives some good advice, plus he's funny as ****. But seriously, good gear =/= good advice
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by get ta led out!
knows his shit better than anyone

Not to bash or nothin', but he's been playing for a year or something.
I'm not even sure he'd agree with that statement.

The Fuzz Gun doesn't sound like Jack's fuzz tone AT ALL. He uses V9 Muffs. The SUF VRH sounds better though. It is a classic muff sound, whereas the V9 is the modern muff(raspier, less mids) and doesn't sound as good imo.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by get ta led out!
I wouldn't argue with acoustic on this one. He's owned more gear than all of us combined and knows his shit better than anyone. The fuzz Gun gets some great JAck White tones, it has that jumpy edgy sound to it. People think get a big muff and be done with it for his tone, when really there's better options. Muffs are deep scooped, which isn't how Jack sounds alot of the time.

Jack Whites tone isn't scooped because he's running amps with a lot of mids and overdriving them abit first which has always given more mids to fuzz pedals. On my profile there is a tone test called 'scorched tone test' that i uploaded ages ago which has plenty of mids and that's all done using the big muff pi into an amp with abit of overdrive on it and the mids cranked.
Slightly off topic, but Andrew Stockdale (Wolfmother) Uses a Radical Tone Bender/Tone Bone (i forget ) if thats the sound you're after.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
No love for the MJM Brit Bender, Foxy Fuzz, or London Fuzz?

I like the GZ Fuzz too. The one with the I Can Haz cat shooting lasers out of his eyes... The mini-version of the Godzilla fuzz.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
No love for the MJM Brit Bender, Foxy Fuzz, or London Fuzz?

I like the GZ Fuzz too. The one with the I Can Haz cat shooting lasers out of his eyes... The mini-version of the Godzilla fuzz.

Me loves the London
Quote by WtrPlyr

very good advice there

If you like the big muff style tone either go for one of the stomp under foot pedals or the musket fuzz. If you like the fuzz face tone go for the MJM london, its the best fuzz face clone i've heard. If you like the super fuzz tone look into the Wattson classic fuzz.

I'm not as familiar with the other styles so i can't really make any suggestions.
you are what you is
Quote by WtrPlyr
Me loves the London

That's ny next pedal order. Or the Foxy....

^ also, what the above said. Love the Wattson
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta

The DBA Fuzz War would do the sounds TS asked for a gazillion times better than the Fuzz Gun, but I wouldn't recommend that either. SUF VHR is the way to go. The BMP w/tw is noisey and the NYC RI tones have too much of a mid-cut.

I just checked out the Fuzz War, holy crap I think that might be at the top of the list now!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Page 1 of 2