As you probably know, the main riff is relatively simple and got different variations where you play it with power chord or the octace. And the the power chord version is really peace of cake.

However you'll notice that every second or third note is an opened chord, and here comes my problem. How do you switch between the third fret - forth fret to opened to six - seven ?

Here's a lesson of slash doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZATGGrz2VOY

I'm not sure but it seems to me he's allways muting the A string with his indexe, while using second and third finger to play the fretted octaves. This would solve the open octave issue but I'm not sur I can do it that easily. I know how to play octaves normally, here it's in drop D but it doesnt change much.
The problem is that all the songs I learned that used octaves were fretted, so my indexe would naturally mute the string it has to mute.

So is this the way to dit for this song ? Or do you go opened 2/3 string power chord ?

Thanks in advance !
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I'm not sure what you mean - but the way I switch from 'third fret - fourth fret' to open to 'six - seven' is just to shift while you play the open chord. So your hand is ready on the 'six and seven' while you play the open chord - understand?
Look @ 2:50 when he starts playing the ocatve. To play the octave normally my index would be say on 3 of the low E (D tuning) and my middle finger on the third of the D string. And the A string is naturally muted by my index !

The problem is that in the riff there are open chords and since I don't use my index, there's nothing to mute the A string. I guess I should try to use the index on the A string, middle finger on E (tuned to d) and third finger on D. This way when I open, my index is still muting the A string.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3