Just wanting some outside opinions. The other guys in my band and I are all around 18-20. We recently auditioned a singer who we're 90% sure is roughly aged between 29 and 31.

Is this age gap just too huge? I know musically it isn't an issue, but what we're concerned about is the image its going to project. Is it just too weird that he's so much older?
Depends what your aims are really. If you plan to make it huge with this band, it's better that you pick someone closer to your age group. But if you just wanted a local following mostly it's fine to go with anyone of any age, and older guys are "usually" better.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
We are 19-22 in my band and got a drummer that just turned 13, getting a 12 year old in the band might sound like a big no to many, but hes been playing since he was 5 and is really good. Make a decision based on his musical skills and personality, not the age.
Last edited by vismbr at Jul 8, 2010,
It could be an issue depending on what your aims are. If he's that old he may have different aspirations or a different lifestyle etc. that could conflict with the band.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
I don't think it'd be weird in any way. There are no rules. If you think he's a good singer, take him
Quote by vismbr
We are 19-22 in my band and got a drummer that just turned 13, getting a 12 year old in the band might sound like a big no to many, but hes been playing since he was 5 and is really good. Make a decision based on his musical skills and personality, not the age.

his parents are okay with that? lol
Quote by vismbr

Does that become an issue when playing in pubs? What about touring

As I said, it's cool if you don't want to make it too big.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Does that become an issue when playing in pubs? What about touring

As I said, it's cool if you don't want to make it too big.

No problem so far, i think it's because he looks so young that no one would take him for 18 and let him buy alcohol. Might get harder when he's 15-17 tho

If we get to go on a tour i think his parents would let him take a break from school, they are both musicians and would hopefully support him.
Last edited by vismbr at Jul 9, 2010,
If your goal is to get a record deal, he's really pushing it for "too old." Proof: turn on MTV and watch for two hours. How many singers do you see over the age of 30? Pretty well none, and those that you do (Green Day, for instance) have been in the game for a while and broke long before they were 30.

If you're just starting out, by the time you're 30-ish, the train is leaving the station.

However, if you're just doing covers or beating around town.... none of that applies.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
IMHO depends on your genre if the image is important or less so
My band is an old school death metal band with a bit of a mix

Vocalist - 41
Bassist (me) - 33
Guitar - 25
Guitar - 19
Drums - 21

so bit of a spread but were all into the same stuff and musically it works (also helps that us older guys dont look or act our age!!)
I went to a friends show and a band that played after him had teenagers and an enourmously fat 60-something street person. This guy was an animal on the guitar, so musically it was fine, but it was odd to see.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
I think the OP needs to clarify a couple of things: what genre of music do you play, and what are your goals with this band?

Having one member who's significantly older than the rest of the band isn't always a big deal, especially if that person looks and acts much younger. But based on your description ("we're 90% sure is roughly aged between 29 and 31"), it sounds like he's NOTICEABLY older than you guys.

That's probably not so much a big deal if your target audience is serious music fans or people who are into more esoteric or underground styles of music, but it might be a problem if your goal is to become MTV-friendly mainstream rock stars.
My drummer is more then twice as old as I am, he's been drumming for as long as I've been alive. It works because instead of focusing on the differences in our musical tastes, we focus on the similarities.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
My bassist is in his 40s, I'm 27. He's a good player and he really brings value to the band. That's what you want to ask. What value can this guy bring to the band? Does he have a lot of friends he can get t come to the shows? He's older, does he have more connections?

For instance, my bassist has printed pretty kick ass flyers and stand up posters for out shows. He also scored us some on air radio time which lead to the Boston Herald wanting to do a write up on the album. He's older, but he's working his ass off to help the band in a big way. Look at the big picture.
Our band line up is:

Vocalist: 43
Rhythm/Lead Guitarist (me): 34
Lead/Rhythm Guitarist: 31
Drummer: 30
Bass: 25

So between the youngest and oldest theirs an 18 year gap! It doesn't matter as long as you all enjoy playing the music you like playing. I think it's slightly easier if you are writting your own material rather than doing covers.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
If your goal is to become huge here is a protip: Don't give a shit about what anyone thinks about you, being yourself will get you famous.

If he's good enough and have a good personality then you should definetly take him in. It will most likely give him a cool ringleader feel which always looks good on stage. Plus he is almost ten years older than you, he likely has more contacts and experience.

Btw in a band i was playing in before our lead singer was 35 and the rest was 17-19, didn't stop us from making great tunes.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Jul 16, 2010,
He still hasn't told us what his goal is....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Sorry about the slow reply guys, personal circumstances have made it difficult to get on here lately and give a reply. Thanks to everyone who has provided a response too.

I'll try to provide a bit more information in relation to what people have been asking:

- Our aims for the band are to see how far we can go with it. We're not going to be content just playing covers or "beating around town". We want to do the best we possibly can with this band.

- To drumwolf, we play rock/hard rock, with influences of metal as well. The singer has quite a mainstream type voice, very easily doing songs by the likes of Foo Fighters, Matchbox 20, etc

- To Gord@k, I definately agree with the part about not worrying about what others think, and just being yourself. However, there's a difference between being yourself and not caring what others think, and then just outright shooting yourself in the foot with certain moves. We're debating whether or not accepting him is one of these moves.

Hopefully this clarifies some things. If not, I should be able to reply a lot more frequently now. Thanks again for everyone who has replied.
We're Australian, so we can already buy our own

But I like your way of thinking.
If you want label interest, he is probably too old then.

CT

Everyone in my band is 18, so i don't have any experiene with age gaps. But something to ask is how committed is he? His commitment might be different then yours if he's married/has a family etc, I know mine would.