While listening to some of my old mixes, I realised how I'd overused a lot of effects and I got to thinking about how many of us go through a similar thing before we realise that less is more when applying effects. With that in mind I thought it might be cool if we had a bit of a mixing competition.

It'd be more of a bit of fun for people to experiment with certain aspects of mixing, rather than a reflection of how good a mixer they are all round. I'll explain in more detail since that seems a bit ambiguous.

The rules would be as follows:

I'm curious to see how good the Recordings forum can make an entirely dry mix sound. With all the highly skilled people that post here, I'm sure the quality would be pretty good.

Right now, I'm just looking to see if there would be any interest from people with regards to both taking part and judging, but I don't imagine there would be a particularly strict deadline or competitor limit. Submissions would also not have to be standard length songs.

*To the mods* If this belongs in the contest forums, so be it, but I'd like to make two points before you do that. 1) There's not much traffic in there, let's be honest; and 2) It seems to be less about recording than musicality.

What do you think?

Edit:

Quote by Pure_Morning

Also, when you say no effects: is that after recording, or during? For example, if you recorded the tremolo of your amp while you did a guitar track, rather than add it after, would that be fine?

Effects used for the performance are fine, but only use what you normally would. Don't try and make up for what you might normally use in mixing while you're recording. E.g. Don't add extra chorus to your guitar because you know you won't be able to later.

Up for it list:

jof1029
        Pure_Morning
        L2112Lif
        Last edited by piop at Jul 8, 2010,
        I'm willing to allow EQ if it'll mean a greater uptake.
        all it would take is a couple of good room mics and you've got natural reverb.

automation and/or good musicians and vocalists and you dont need compressors nearly as much. that and music that actually has dynamic range to it...

proper mic choice and placement and you dont need EQ.

A good mix starts with good tracking.
        I'm strangely up for it, though for my first contribution will be a cheap shot really.

Also, when you say no effects: is that after recording, or during? For example, if you recorded the tremolo of your amp while you did a guitar track, rather than add it after, would that be fine?
        My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
        Boss OD-2
        EHX Small Clone
        EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
        Quote by sandyman323
        all it would take is a couple of good room mics and you've got natural reverb.

automation and/or good musicians and vocalists and you dont need compressors nearly as much. that and music that actually has dynamic range to it...

proper mic choice and placement and you dont need EQ.

A good mix starts with good tracking.

Yeah. But I've only got enough inputs for one mic and a DI, and my acoustic-electric's output isn't working properly (I'm waiting to get either a new battery holder or preamp) So, I agree you don't need compression/limiting/reverb if you actually take the time to play with the sliders, but I don't agree that you don't need EQ. I need to take some highs off of my voice on almost any microphone I use, because it becomes over-accentuated. Good tracking is the first step, yes, but EQ is there to fix any inherent tonal differences in an instrument, and the voice has not only a wide range, but also a wide variety of colors because everyone's voice accentuates some frequencies and dampens others.
        Obviously good tracking is the beginning of any good recording, you can't polish a turd and all that, but passable tracking should be possible for many of the people on this forum. (Even if it's not, have a go anyway!)
        Also, I've updated the OP.
        I just wrote a nice acoustic blues song for this, I personally think its awesome for a ten minute recording with only acoustic guitar, voice, and slide. Just a little bit of EQ to clean some things up.

Here's one link to it:
        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6226271/The%20Forgotten%20Monkey%20NOFX.mp3

And to my profile:
        http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/L2112Lif/music/all/play863409
        Quote by L2112Lif
        I just wrote a nice acoustic blues song for this, I personally think its awesome for a ten minute recording with only acoustic guitar, voice, and slide. Just a little bit of EQ to clean some things up.

Here's one link to it:
        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6226271/The%20Forgotten%20Monkey%20NOFX.mp3

And to my profile:
        http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/L2112Lif/music/all/play863409

Pretty good job man, but I think you should keep your voice in the lower octave. When you sing lower you have a better tone and you are more in tune. It sounds like your really struggling on those high notes, and they get pretty out of tune. Also the vocals are clipping a bit, I dont know if thats the recording aspect or you turned em to high on the mix. Anyways, keep it up.
        Quote by MetalBass 77
        Pretty good job man, but I think you should keep your voice in the lower octave. When you sing lower you have a better tone and you are more in tune. It sounds like your really struggling on those high notes, and they get pretty out of tune. Also the vocals are clipping a bit, I dont know if thats the recording aspect or you turned em to high on the mix. Anyways, keep it up.

I'm actually not struggling too much to get those, its just a bit of morning voice, making my chest and falsetto mix a bit faster than they usually would. I didn't really notice them being out of tune... I'll go check on that one, because thats a biggy-wrong if I am out of tune vocally.

And any vocal clipping or distortion is absolutely intended. I like overdriving the mic sometimes.
        Last edited by L2112Lif at Jul 8, 2010,
        I would like to do it, but I think it would be cool if everybody got the same DIs and we just had a mixing contest.
        Quote by L2112Lif
        I'm actually not struggling too much to get those, its just a bit of morning voice, making my chest and falsetto mix a bit faster than they usually would. I didn't really notice them being out of tune... I'll go check on that one, because thats a biggy-wrong if I am out of tune vocally.

And any vocal clipping or distortion is absolutely intended. I like overdriving the mic sometimes.

Yea, I'm sure if you warmed up it'd sound fine. Also, I would really recommend *not* over-driving your mic, as it gives a really unprofessional sound. Plus it doesnt really sound like distortion, it sounds like clipping, which is a VERY ugly sound. Nothing wrong with some grit, but clipping is bad news. Hope im not coming off as harsh, but im just trying to give some constructive criticism .
        @L2112Lif, can't you please upload without any EQ whatsoever? :\ I starting to worry that my tracking just isn't great and that it's not just EQing that i need to get down so i just want to hear what your guys recordings sound like completely dry.

On that note: piop, couldn't you make that no EQing rule?
        Last edited by 21Fretter at Jul 8, 2010,
        Damn l2112Lif (that's not an easy name to refer to anyone by ¬¬ I really liked your song. At first I heard the vocals and I was like "Oh no D= ". But I had to pause it to go wash the dishes and the sound of the song actually stuck in my head remarkably well. That's a compliment btw

How would you all feel about me procuring some dry tracks and then us mixing those? Anyone would be welcome to submit some, even if it's just for self-promotion.
        I'm not much of a mixer, I don't have outboard faders which, if anyone's planning on getting into recording/mixing/mastering are almost a necessity, trust me. Saves hours of having to mix a fader at a time, then having to re-mix what you just mixed because your trigger finger got happy.

Thanks for the compliment! I went from recording an acoustic version of the Soundgarden song Burden in my Hand, and I just played around in the tuning and wrote a song explaining why I'm now calling myself The Forgotten Monkey, lol. Long backstory there though.
        ill try and throw something together tomorrow. ive been meaning to record something new, so maybe this will give me some motivation.
        Welp, luckily where I live, I have a giant raquetball court nobody uses. Lets give it up for way too much reverb :p
        Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
        Quote by L2112Lif
        Catharsis, what do you record into, ProTroll LE?

thinking about it...

CT
        Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
        well its just a really simple 3 chord progression, song is something i wrote 5 or 6 years ago.

and i really dont like my voice. this is one of the songs i think i sound ok singing, hence why i used it for something without effects. though i guess if it reminds you of pink floyd it cant be all bad
        Quote by jof1029
        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8945157/TakeCareofYourself1.mp3

not entirely proud of it, but i tried to do some interesting things with the electric guitar to get some wierd room reverb. didnt work exactly like i intended, but oh well.

Yeah! That sounded really good imo. I really like what you did with the guitars, are they two takes hard panned either side?
        ^ there are actually 6 guitar tracks on there. two acoustic tracks with two mics each, and an electric track with two mics. each acoustic track has the neck mic hard panned, and the body about 50% either way.

the electric is straight up the middle, but fairly low in the mix except the part with the faster tempo. neither mic was actually pointed at, or close to, the cab. i recorded in my kitchen to try to get some natural reverb off the hard surfaces, which worked ok, but not great.