You won't get anywhere without practice.

It sounds obvious, but there are many that haven't gotten it yet. Intellectually they assent to it, and nod their heads, but beyond that they are looking for THE THING that will get them results without commitment or work.

I have to tell you, that if you aren't practicing the guitar, and yet you are telling yourself that you "want to learn", that you might not be ready to learn. To be ready to learn means to be ready to practice, not jam. To apply what you are learning. Memorization, both intellect and muscle memory.

Its a commitment to go slow when first learning something so that you can take it faster. Its a choice to develop good practice habits.

I have a student in his third month that has already passed someone, thats played a year. The reason? Every day he practices 25 minutes (his mom sees to it that he does). When he shows up, he's made progress.

The other guy, seems to coast in each week saying he didn't play much that week and didn't study or finish the homework.

All of us have the answers, but so many are not USING the answers, we want it by osmosis or within 3 seconds. We live in the era of instant gratification, microwaves and ATM's. No one likes to wait, and patience is not high on our list for anything. Images change every 3 seconds on TV or else we lose interest.

But when it comes to the guitar, if you want anything, you have to study, and practice, and follow things through. That's it. No lesson program or series of articles or videos is going to get you there. You can decide today if you want to be real about practice and study or do you want to post again and again claiming that you really "Need to learn" that you "Want to understand". Do you want to pussyfoot around and try to get the benefit of others answering your questions, or do you want to lock yourself into a room, grab paper, and slow down and listen, and see your own musical progress? Practice, and focus upon a goal, and their willingness to stick to it, is the sole difference between those who succeed musically, in their execution on the guitar or their understanding and knowledge, and those who won't.
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 8, 2010,
U remind me of my guitar tutor in college, you're quite right though
Well said

I already play a lot but this makes me want to play even more!
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Hey. Give me some credit. I play everyday. A lot. Not just playing around, but a lot of scale stuff lately.

And I have actually been in standard tuning for a record breaking 4 or 5 days now.

Love your post, btw. So true.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Very motivational post!
Thank you!

It is nice to read words of encouragement like this.
It really makes me want to keep on trying to improve and stay positive.
TOTAL BRO
Quote by Sean0913
You won't get anywhere without practice.

It sounds obvious, but there are many that haven't gotten it yet. Intellectually they assent to it, and nod their heads, but beyond that they are looking for THE THING that will get them results without commitment or work.

I have to tell you, that if you aren't practicing the guitar, and yet you are telling yourself that you "want to learn", that you might not be ready to learn. To be ready to learn means to be ready to practice, not jam. To apply what you are learning. Memorization, both intellect and muscle memory.

Its a commitment to go slow when first learning something so that you can take it faster. Its a choice to develop good practice habits.

I have a student in his third month that has already passed someone, thats played a year. The reason? Every day he practices 25 minutes (his mom sees to it that he does). When he shows up, he's made progress.

The other guy, seems to coast in each week saying he didn't play much that week and didn't study or finish the homework.

All of us have the answers, but so many are not USING the answers, we want it by osmosis or within 3 seconds. We live in the era of instant gratification, microwaves and ATM's. No one likes to wait, and patience is not high on our list for anything. Images change every 3 seconds on TV or else we lose interest.

But when it comes to the guitar, if you want anything, you have to study, and practice, and follow things through. That's it. No lesson program or series of articles or videos is going to get you there. You can decide today if you want to be real about practice and study or do you want to post again and again claiming that you really "Need to learn" that you "Want to understand". Do you want to pussyfoot around and try to get the benefit of others answering your questions, or do you want to lock yourself into a room, grab paper, and slow down and listen, and see your own musical progress? Practice, and focus upon a goal, and their willingness to stick to it, is the sole difference between those who succeed musically, in their execution on the guitar or their understanding and knowledge, and those who won't.

well, yeah....... the more you play/practice your guitar the better chance you have of being successful at it.

What I found over the years is that motivation plays a very big role in this. There are people that genuinely enjoy playing/practicing the guitar, and there are people that love "the idea" of being a guitar player. ( and the respect that they think it will bring them)

The difference is obvious because the person that genuinely loves to play doesn't have to be told to practice, they just do it. You show them a few things, and then they come back the next week playing it perfectly and wanting more.

The person that plays because they like "the idea"of being a guitar player generally has a harder time because their motivation is different. they're not as much driven by the desire to play music as they are by the desire to be "good at guitar"..... or to be known by others as being "good at guitar".

Who is going to spend more quality time playing/practicing the guitar? I'll put my money on the person that genuinely enjoys playing the instrument.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 8, 2010,
That sounds like me about 5 yrs ago. I wanted to be good at the guitar but didnt have the maturity and the patience to do what it took, which was practice. After taking a 2 yr break, I'm back and thankfully finally have more maturity and a new found patience to put hours of practice in everyday of actual practice and not just "jamming".
You could always be a rapper! click the "play music button" on your computer and start rapping, no practice their!

That doesn't have to much to do with playing the guitar though...
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
You could always be a rapper! click the "play music button" on your computer and start rapping, no practice their!

That doesn't have to much to do with playing the guitar though...

actually there is some skill involved with rapping. I mean theres crap, but theres crap in petty much every genre.

The rhythm and phrasing from some rappers is quite respectable IMO.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
actually there is some skill involved with rapping. I mean theres crap, but theres crap in petty much every genre.

The rhythm and phrasing from some rappers is quite respectable IMO.

...and breath control and flow and rhyme scheme and cadence and timbre and enunciation and word use, metaphors, similies, alliteration, content...

If you've got a "play music" button on your computer that generates beats like DJ Shadow or RJD2 or DJ Premier or Tone/DJ Theory from the Problemaddicts, could I have it? Like, if you're not using it.

I don't think there's any type of guitar player I hate more than the guitar player with a disgustingly ignorant sense of superiority over music like hip-hop that isn't guitar-based.

Rapping and beat-making is just like guitar. You need to practice. sites.nick - you want to post up a few hip-hop songs to prove how little skill it takes? We'll wait.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
...and breath control and flow and rhyme scheme and cadence and timbre and enunciation and word use, metaphors, similies, alliteration, content...

If you've got a "play music" button on your computer that generates beats like DJ Shadow or RJD2 or DJ Premier or Tone/DJ Theory from the Problemaddicts, could I have it? Like, if you're not using it.

I don't think there's any type of guitar player I hate more than the guitar player with a disgustingly ignorant sense of superiority over music like hip-hop that isn't guitar-based.

Rapping and beat-making is just like guitar. You need to practice. sites.nick - you want to post up a few hip-hop songs to prove how little skill it takes? We'll wait.

Ya I know, I actually kind of wish I could rap, that last post was just some kind of lame joke...
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Id say you can't just 'always be a rapper'.
i had a friend at school who was a rapper (studying music industry) and id hear him practice sometimes (room next to mine) the exact same way id practice improvisation or a new song; taking a few lines and going over them until they're perfect (delivery wise and content wise) and then continuing.
This is right in many ways. I was like that in the beginning, trying to play everything fast...wanting to be good already. Now I practice about 3-4 hours daily, now some might say that's a bit much but for me, it feels damn good. And just when I think I'm good, I get my spirit broken by someone who is better and makes me practice harder. One thing about guitar that I love, is that you always notice yourself getting better.