I came across a pawn shop today and found a Series A electric guitar, with 3 single coil pickups, solid strat body with no pickguard. It has 2 knobs, one for volume and one for tone. They say its an 80s guitar. Anybody have any background information on this? Has anyone ever owned this guitar, or a guitar of this make? Anybody know what it sounds like? And how would it sound compared to a Squier strat?

I also saw a classified ad for a Harmony guitar, probably a Bobkat. It's made before '82. Has 2 humbuckers and three knobs for tone, looks like a Strat body sorta. I'm asking the same questions for this one as I am for the one above.

They're selling dirt cheap, and while its not an improvement over my Squier (probably not) I think that it might be good for different sounds and whatnot. Oh, and the frets/action, etc, are fine.
A Series A is more or less just another Stratocaster knock-off. I'd go with a Squier over it any day. They have another model that is notable for looking like a machine gun. It also plays like one.

Harmony guitars? never heard of them.
I actually did a little backup research and turns out the Harmony guitar is the H-802, and people say its not a bad guitar. And yeah I'm probably going to pass on the Series A one. I just wanna know if anyone has played one and what they sound like.
Oh, and one more thing, sorry for the bump, has anyone played El-Degas MIK strat copies? How are they? How are the tuners? Thats another one going for cheap.
These are all going for cheap because they are super cheap guitars. Each one you've named is bottom end. Doesn't mean one or more of them wouldn't make a great guitar. Just don't expect a lot from the tuners or anything else.

Your Squier is better than these guitars.
Quote by Ratraisin

Your Squier is better than these guitars.

This. If you're going for a strat knockoff, stick with your squier.
The only reason I would get another cheap guitar is if I needed something to mod the shit out of without wasting hundreds if I seriously mess it up.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
I had a Harmony Acoustic that sucked. I smashed it to pieces when i got my Martin.
Yeah, thanks for the information. I know its not going to be better than my Squier affinity, I mean, the Squier is solid agathis as compared to the others that are almost guarunteed MDF or something. What I'm looking for is a different sound as opposed to an upgrade, I still plan on keeping my Squier around as my main and save up for a MIA (which I'm almost there) or an Agile.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever played one, I mean, its super cheap and I kinda just want it for a vintage sound to play around with, and something to look at. Its just for shits and giggles, and maybe to do some minor modding.

Anyone know if standard Fender 6-in-a-line tuners would work for these guitars?
Quote by anthonyn66
Yeah, thanks for the information. I know its not going to be better than my Squier affinity, I mean, the Squier is solid agathis as compared to the others that are almost guarunteed MDF or something. What I'm looking for is a different sound as opposed to an upgrade, I still plan on keeping my Squier around as my main and save up for a MIA (which I'm almost there) or an Agile.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever played one, I mean, its super cheap and I kinda just want it for a vintage sound to play around with, and something to look at. Its just for shits and giggles, and maybe to do some minor modding.

Anyone know if standard Fender 6-in-a-line tuners would work for these guitars?

Of the bunch of them, I would go for the Harmony. Just because it's a bit of collectability like the old Aria's and stuff. I was playing around on one from around the 80's sometime the other day in my friends music store. Someone had put it in on consignment, and it wasn't bad, really. Actually I almost picked it up (it was only $80), but I have too many damn guitars.

**I have not tried that particular guitar you are looking at, so if you get it and it sucks, don't blame me!

The Fender tuners might or might not fit. Ideally you would get it, and measure where the screw holes are, the size of the bushings, etc and then get a set to match from Stewart MacDonald, Guitar Fetish, or some place like that.