Bought a Sennheiser e609 mic, and an Icecicle for the USB. Been recording with it for a few hours, played around. Got clean tones in pretty well, and the bass guitar got recorded perfectly. Drums even sound alright.
I just can't get the distortion to sound good. it comes out too quiet and way too many highs. Do I have to have it cranked up pretty loud? I haven't tried that because it's late, but that's what I'm thinking. Tried different positions, even in the back of the cab, but it's the same result. Suggestions?
Have not tried walls... maybe. It's just weird that we can get the quiet, clean tones to record wonderfully, but the heavy distortion equals suckage.
I'll try to experiment later in the day. I've never done this before, it's pretty cool to hear some of the results. I'm just so stunned at how great the bass and drums sounded coming from this mic. Now if only the guitar would come out better!
Another issue is the misunderstanding of how the guitar must sound to fit in the mix. The point is that distortion that fits well in the mix sounds way too squeaky alone. And vice versa: if you tune the tone to sound comfortable when played without a band, it will be too dark and will be lost in the mix.
The trick is that the high frequencies that are present in the distorted sound will be masked with the sound of drums' iron. So if you want to have a nice high grit and pinch when played in the band, turn that Treble and Presence knobs somewhat beyond the point at which you feel the sound to be comfortable.
The other way is to let the band play and tune your sound, then listen to it without the band. This way you can get the idea of how that must be.

So try to mix your guitars up - maybe the excessive highs won't be noticed that much.

EDIT: And yes, the tone is percieved too buzzy when played at low volumes - this is the issue of an amp's and speaker's compression and basic feel of volume.
Last edited by Ace Carson at Jul 8, 2010,
Another thing I'd try is to get a MIDI cable. If your amp has a MIDI jack, recording directly through a MIDI cable to your recording device may work better than trying to tweak your amp and the mic. I assume you're using a computer, and most Macs or PCs have a MIDI connection nowadays. I always prefer to play through a system directly than try to mic any electric guitar/amp, as I think it works out a lot smoother.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Another thing I'd try is to get a MIDI cable. If your amp has a MIDI jack, recording directly through a MIDI cable to your recording device may work better than trying to tweak your amp and the mic.

Alright, lets break this down with Midi 101:

Midi isn't sound. Plugging an amp with a midi out into your PCs midi in will not produce sound period.

Read more about Midi here so you don't post something stupid like that again: http://tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp