It may be broad though I'm interested in seeing all the different styles for jazz improv

After a little more than a year I've heard of:

Modal Playing
Chord Tone Playing
Arpeggio + Scale
Combination of these
Playing What You Hear

Though are there other of these general methods thanks
Mango, jazz is the most complicated style of music you will ever hear or study. Especially in terms of theory.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Another thing to consider is experimenting with accidentals and chromatic stuff. Bebop and free type jazz especially relies heavily upon accidentals and chromaticism from what I've heard anyway.
Quote by Hernandez93
It may be broad though I'm interested in seeing all the different styles for jazz improv

After a little more than a year I've heard of:

Modal Playing
Chord Tone Playing
Arpeggio + Scale
Combination of these
Playing What You Hear

Though are there other of these general methods thanks

Well, those aren't really methods.

modes, chord tones, arpeggios, scales ....... those are the nuts and bolts.

if you want to get into improv, the best thing you can do is get good at music first. then eventually you'll be able to improvise.

listen to, learn how to play, memorize, study, and enjoy solos that you like.

TIP:

Don't learn how to play music via step-by-step instructions. learn how to play music by playing music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 8, 2010,
you forgot chord scale theory and guide tones.
though i think relying on chord scales doesnt get you anywhere and even if it does, it doesnt get you a jazz sound. also, all these methods arent really meant to be used when improvising, your supposed to learn them so well that when you improvise you don't need to think about them or even use them.
Play along to songs.. learn the licks and riffs and solos by ear.. you'll learn heaps of little tricks you can use and expand on and mix up into your own kinda thing.