Poll: Are children or adults smarter?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are children or adults smarter?
Adults
82 81%
Chuildren
19 19%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
Well, I didn't search for a thread but if it has been made already just link me.

This is the age-old question of what intelligence is. It it the ability to learn, or it is what one has already learned? Maybe a mixture of both?

Children generally learn things significantly faster than adults, so would they be smarter, even if they don't have the same amount of knowledge?

First you have to define "intelligence." Does the ability to learn, or knowledge itself, make someone smarter?

Example:

Say there is a 70 y/o man. He spends his entire adult life, starting at 18, learning about astronomy.

Now, there is a 25 year old, studying from the time he was 18, who shares about 90% of that same knowledge.

Assuming each have the same tools and each "%" is equal, who is smarter?

Intelligence derives from the Latin verb intellegere; per that rationale, “understanding” (intelligence) is different from being “smart” (capable of adapting to the environment).

Which would just mean that there are grammatical differences.
In your example, they guy with the biggest dong is smarter.
This holds true in all things.
The 25 yr old, as the 70 yr old probably did learn twice as much as him but became senile and forgot it?

The 25 yr old is probably more intelligent and a quicker learner, but the 70 yr old probably has more overall knowledge and life-long wisedom, even if he is not as quick witted.

Also that example is kinda pointless, as it in now way applies to your poll, which says adults or children as a whole, rather than that particular adult or child.

EDIT: Fuck what I said, the guy above me got it spot on.
Last edited by benonbass1 at Jul 8, 2010,
Children don't fully understand various concepts, like death for example.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
You can't measure intelligence.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
To be intelligent means to be knowledgeable.

To be clever means to have common sense, to be wise and most importantly, to know what is right.

These are my interpretations.

Edit:
Quote by benonbass1

To quote Binet:

"The scale, properly speaking, does not permit the measure of intelligence, because intellectual qualities are not superposable, and therefore cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured."
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Last edited by hellbound_jonny at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by benonbass1

Different tests throw different results, as well as taking the same test several times, it's nowhere near being an absolute intelligence measure
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by MightyAl
In your example, they guy with the biggest dong is smarter.
This holds true in all things.

You got that right.
Adults are smarter, Children lack formal operations.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by damian_91
You can't measure intelligence.

Sure you can. My intelligence is 8 inches longer than yours.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I've always taken intelligence to mean, well, basically what the Wikipedia extract said. To me intelligence has always been about understanding things and being able to learn things through understanding.

Saying that, you could say that both adults and children have a similar capacity for intelligence, regardless of age.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Jackal58
Sure you can. My intelligence is 8 inches longer than yours.

I don't need a magic pill in order to make my brain function
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by damian_91
I don't need a magic pill in order to make my brain function

Snappy retort is snappy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by hellbound_jonny
To be intelligent means to be knowledgeable.

To be clever means to have common sense, to be wise and most importantly, to know what is right.

These are my interpretations.

Edit:

To quote Binet:

"The scale, properly speaking, does not permit the measure of intelligence, because intellectual qualities are not superposable, and therefore cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured."

I agree with what you said, and I agree with your interpretations too, it's just, there is a widely used scale to measure intelligence.

Whether it is actually any good or not, I couldn't say.
Quote by Jackal58
Snappy retort is snappy.

We were talking about dicks, weren't we?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by damian_91
We were talking about dicks, weren't we?

Apparently one of us was.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Children could possibly learn the material faster, but the adult will have way more real life application with whatever knowledge they have.

Also, your example makes no sense. They both started studying when they were 18, but this guy is 70 and somehow the other guy learned 90% of what this 70 year old knows is in 7 years? This kid definitely isn't average and shouldn't be included.
Adults. Children learn more quickly so they can spend as little time as possible being stupid, annoying, loud little shits.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I chose children, but they aren't necessarily "smarter" than adults, but the child's generation WILL be smarter than the adult's generation, due to technological advancements and such.

But I don't know if the word "smart" is the word, I'd use knowledgable.
DeVillains!
Children memorize things more quickly than adults, however they don't have the same tools in their cognitive tool box and can't do a lot of the real higher order thinking that adults can. They have trouble handling abstractions, thinking critically, finding fallacies, and so on.

So a kid can memorize the orbital patterns of the planets more quickly, but an adult would better be able to understand how gravity, mass, and so forth enter into making the planets move that way in the first place.

I don't know about you, but the person figuring stuff out seems smarter than the person memorizing to me. If some prize winning physicist lost on jeapordy, I'd still think he/she was probably smarter than the other contestants who happen to be good at memorizing arbitrary crap.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 8, 2010,
i think younger would be smarter in a certain sense. adults have spent a lot of time in this world so they'll be more acquainted with the ways of this world, but as a result their minds won't be as flexible.

like a computer, maybe. one with a newly reformatted hard drive will run smoother if you install things, but one that has a load of crap on it won't. yet, as it is, the one with a load of crap on it can do more things.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Chuildren, definitely. Did you know that chuildren generally are 20% smarter than their parents? Damn chuildren.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by GuitarViking
Chuildren, definitely. Did you know that chuildren generally are 20% smarter than their parents? Damn chuildren.

How is this measured?

Intelligence isn't all about acquiring knowledge, it's also about processing it. Sure, anyone can read a physics book, but not everyone can derive new formulas and propose new theories about how the world works. That requires reasoning, rather than just observation.

The young and old person might know the same facts, but it's the way they use that information that will set them apart.
I think that intelligence is brains in relation to an individuals age (or experience). My high school math teacher always used to tell me that there are plenty of kids smarter than him in the class, not in total knowledge but in knowledge and comprehension in relation to their age.
I read a statistic that stated 90% of what you know in 50 years time will be things you have learnt IN those 50 years! I find that amazing and if true means there's no reason why you should define intelligence as knowledge you have already acquired, it should be based on your ability to learn in the future...
lol obviously 12 children voted
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Dude, kids are fucking idiots.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Kids have a greater imagination and are not as biased about things. Adults generally pay more attention to what they think is important. As to you OP, I have no clue.

edit: What the hell is chuildren?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Jul 8, 2010,
assuming because you spelt children wrong i'm gonna say adults, even though experience =/= intelligence i'd say kids are pretty dumb in general
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Adults are more intelligent, but children are more creative. Generally. And I would say that intelligence is more knowledge than the ability to learn. Of course though, both interact and are required.
I would enjoy watching those that voted children have kids and try to raise them. Kids are stupid.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2