Hello UG

I am going to buy a stack soon (used), and what is currently avavible were i live is the following:

- Bugera 333xl without cab ( so have to find some cab to macht it with), the seller says says he has played it for a year without problems.
- Peavey Valveking with a valveking cab
- Engl Thunder 50 Drive E322 + a engl Z4 pedal (NOT a stack, but a nice combo?)

Now what i would demand from the amp is the following:
- Should diffinitly be able to play some very heavy metal, without having to use a lot of pedals.
- Should also do very nicely live when playing like pop - rock (do that for money sometimes)
- Should be able to sound good at lower volumes, like in a bedroom =P.

guitar: I use a ESP LTD JH-600 with EMGs.

Should be able to play genres like: Deathmetal, trashmetal and also a bit of blackmetal from time to time =P

So what to take? the bugera would probalby end up being a littlle bit more expensive, given that i have to buy a cab seperately.

How important is the loss of volume when buying a 50 watt combo compared to a 120 watt combo?

Thanks
/ Rasmus
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
I had an ENGL Thunder, but it broke on me 3 times, and my mates failed in the same way...

It sounded awesome though, so don't let me put you off ^_^ If it doesn't break, you'd probably be pretty happy with it. Can't speak for the VK or the 333, but i've bought a Bugera 6260 with an Orange 2x12 cab to replace my ENGL...

Edit: I never really needed all the volume on my ENGL, 50w is still a lot.
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
If you don't want to use a lot of pedals, and you play metal, the valveking won't suit your needs at all. It needs mods/ pedals to do most metal tones, The ENGL is probably the better amp but I've never played the thunder model, just the fireball which was great.

A 100 watt amp is only 10% louder than a 50 watt amp, so you really don't lose much volume. I would vote for the ENGL but try em out if you can.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Hey, now... this thread looks awfully familiar...
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah but just found a cheap engl Thunder, so thats why i posted again, even though it is a bit spamish =P

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
A new 333xl wont set you back much than the used one you're looking at. Also the Bugera 6262 or 6260 are great metal amps(I know a lot of people here hate on them, but there are also a lot of people, like me, who are greatly satisified with the Bugeras) Although, you wouldn't really be able to use it well in a bedroom. 120w is often too loud even for small gigs.

I haven't had much experience with the other amps, but I hope I've helped a little.
Irland ist ein Drogenparadies?
Last edited by Forderr at Jul 8, 2010,
The Thunder won't have nearly enough gain to cope with thrash without a good OD in front of it. To be honest, though, that is probably the best option given that us Europeans get ENGL's far cheaper than those over the Atlantic and I imagine with a boost it is probably the most versatile on the list (that said I've not played a 333XL). I've got a Screamer and it copes really well with being used at bedroom volumes.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by bj_squeelie
If you don't want to use a lot of pedals, and you play metal, the valveking won't suit your needs at all. It needs mods/ pedals to do most metal tones, The ENGL is probably the better amp but I've never played the thunder model, just the fireball which was great.

A 100 watt amp is only 10% louder than a 50 watt amp, so you really don't lose much volume. I would vote for the ENGL but try em out if you can.

I pretty much agree with this. The VK cannot do modern metal without boosts and mods....and please please please do not buy a peavey valveking cab. I've never played a 333 but make sure it is a newer model. I've heard iffy things about the Thunder but I would still go for the Engl if those were my only 3 choices.

What else is available to you? How are you buying? What do you have now? What is your timeframe? What is your total Budget?
Well those are the choices, giving that i am going to buy used.. i could also buy a used marshall.. but seems to me they are more of a hard rock amp, and not a metal amp.

Only Pedal thing i have been considering would be something like a TC electronics Nova systems (which can also works as an OD pedal among a lot of other stuff)

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
I played the Thunder 50 on a Mesa cab and thought it kicked serious ass. Cleans were nice too. If you are going with something like a Nova system to then that changes everything. What is your total budget for amp head, cab, (combo), MFX?
Well for now my budget is only just enough for the amp (head+cab or combo) and then latter when i get some more money i would buy a really nice MFX system .. and then very much later on get a Engl Savage or something like wise being rediculusly expensive =P

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
Don't get the valveking cab whatever you do.

It could work though if you just got a head and some decent speakers in an avatar cab or something. Most of valvekings bad tone is with the speaker. Then swap tubes and get an OD and EQ and you're all set.

But really if you don't want to get mods / pedals then don't get the amp. I have my combo 1x12 valveking and it sounds great considering what I've payed for it, but it took some work.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
I wouldn't buy a Bugera used, period. You never know if it was from the newest "good" batch, or the old "bad" batch. So unless you know what you're doing electronically and can open it up to see if it'll need work, or if it's the newer version that's been fixed... I'd stick with buying new from them
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Hidden Hippo
The Thunder won't have nearly enough gain to cope with thrash without a good OD in front of it. To be honest, though, that is probably the best option given that us Europeans get ENGL's far cheaper than those over the Atlantic and I imagine with a boost it is probably the most versatile on the list (that said I've not played a 333XL). I've got a Screamer and it copes really well with being used at bedroom volumes.

What? I did not find this to be the case at all when I played the Thunder, it had more than enough gain to do anything IMO. It has a more modern voicing which might not be ideal for classic thrash tones, but its gain should not be in question.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I wouldn't buy a Bugera used, period. You never know if it was from the newest "good" batch, or the old "bad" batch. So unless you know what you're doing electronically and can open it up to see if it'll need work, or if it's the newer version that's been fixed... I'd stick with buying new from them

If you get the opportunity to inspect it before buying, you could look at the serial number. That should at least tell you if it's from the old batch.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
If your willing to take a risk, the Bugera could potentially give the best metal tones. The VK would be my last choice of the 3. The Engl is interesting, Engl makes great amps but I'm not very familiar with the Thunder 50, so I can't say much about it.
I would go with the Bugera if you could do like Kanthras said and inspect the serial number, then you would know for sure when it was made, although even an older one isn't guaranteed to have problems, I bought my 6260 used and its from Jan 08 and its been great, but I could just be lucky.
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Schecter Hellraiser DLX
ESP MH-401
Bugera 6260
2x12 made by a local guy, now loaded with an Eminence Texas Heat and Man O War
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Patrick_W at Jul 8, 2010,