I'm going to buy some new pickups for my gibson les paul studio, i was looking for something that will souin similair to slash's, but maybe be a bit brighter. price around $100-200
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Last edited by GreenDay0013 at Jul 8, 2010,
you could look at seymour duncan alnico II pros, they're what slash uses, i think slash's signature version has a stronger magnet in it
Saving up for a new amp will get you further than just buying new pick-ups. Save up for something like a JCM-800, that'll get you in the ballpark. The Pick-ups in your Studio are fine, they are better than the Alnico 2 's he uses, though that is just my humble opinion. Burstbuckers are amazing.

here on UG:
the amp is one of the most important factors that give you a certain tone.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 8, 2010,
I think Slash uses Alnico Pro II's as said above.

All I've ever seen him play through is Vox amps (not a big fan though, so I haven't seen much). You'll probably get closer to his tone with a new amp.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by darkravers009
Saving up for a new amp will get you further than just buying new pick-ups. Save up for something like a JCM-800, that'll get you in the ballpark. The Pick-ups in your Studio are fine, they are better than the Alnico 2 's he uses, though that is just my humble opinion. Burstbuckers are amazing.

here on UG:
the amp is one of the most important factors that give you a certain tone.

In your case TS the amp really is the weak link! The Metal Master pedal should probably go as well.
Moving on.....
You're not going to get anything remotely close to Slash's tone with that solid state Crate and the Metal Master pedal. Slash's tone (and other tones like his) come almost entirely from his amp - the reason he uses those SD Alnico II Pros is because they are low output and have quite flat response so they let the amp do all the work instead of forcing a particular tone themselves. When you put Alnico II Pros in any guitar, you're making the amp influence the tone even more than usual and you're making the guitar's woods, hardware and construction impact the tone more than usual too; using Alnico II Pros is kind of like ''resetting'' your pickups since they have such little influence on tone themselves.

However, that's not just true of the Alnico II Pros. your pickups don't effect your tone all that much other than harmonic response, clarity and general brightness and output, though even that is only effected in a very vague fashion by your pickups. Different pickups certainly give different tones, but it's nothing revolutionary or ground-breaking; unless you make a massive jump in pickup design such as going from low-output alnico III pickups to high-output alnico VIII, you're not going to notice much of difference. This is especially true when using solid state and/or digital equipment which give a more precise representation of your tone and won't be ''coloured'' by differences in pickup as much as a valve amp will be.

To that end, Slash's tone (and almost all tones similar to his) come from having a naturally mid-gain, pure valve amp driven very hard. You can't get that kind of sound just from a pickup change; you need to change your amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ This man is right. Get a new amp.

But, if you really think pickups is what you need;
Iron Gear Rolling Mills. I just put them in mine, they sound incredible and just what you're looking for.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_022.htm

Bargain.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Jul 8, 2010,
as stated by mr fibble, you'll need to upgrade your amp to get close to slash's (or most any pro's) tone. they use tubes. tubes sound different that solid state.

that being said, your guitar will benifit dramatically from a pickup upgrade (even a cheaper one... leaving you some money to start saving for that amp with). i would suggest looking at:
- lace hemi's (about $100 each): one of the coolest sounding pickups. ever.
- SD slash set ($185 for both): if you want slash's tone...
-SD JB and 59 set ($150 for both): standard les paul upgrade because it works
-Dimarzio PAF (B) and Tone Zone (N): really good and "vocal" sounding

these pickups would all seriously help your guitar. really though, you need a new amp before you upgrade your guitar. the amp is contributing more drag to your rig than your pickups and swapping out the pickups is not going to overcome the amps shortcomings