I'm in the market for some new speakers for my AV production.

Anyway I'll test a few and I want to know what you think a good song to test speakers with would be?
Obviously it's best to play the same song(s) through them to gauge properly which are best.

So the song needs to...

- Have an excellent mix with plenty variation of detailed sounds
- A nice balance of rich bass as well as some nice glassy highs
- Available to download in high quality
- Preferably music of a band rather than techno as it's easier to tell what it's supposed to sound like.

Any ideas guys?

I've found metallica black album to sound good overall, also some foofighters and GnR albums have some nicely produced stuff
Last edited by vitchb at Jul 8, 2010,
Devin Townsend - Triumph

Not only will I recommend that whenever possible, but it actually fits the criteria.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 8, 2010,
I like to use Nirvana- Drain You. Brilliant combination of clean, distorted, fuzzy, and a great mixture of treble and bass.
Also try out some high quality dubstep, e.g. Mt Eden- Sierra Leone. Thats a good start
Quote by webbtje
The first Rage Against the Machine album.

i came in here to say exactly this.

in particular, try know your enemy take the power back, my mistake.
Go Veg.
Last edited by im not mental at Jul 8, 2010,
Take the Power Back - RATM, srsly.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Mark Knopfler's solo records, in particular "The Ragpicker's Dream". All of his records are extremely well produced, with lots of layers of different instruments.

Also, Bryan Ferry's "Dylanesque"
Quote by vitchb

- Have an excellent mix with plenty variation of detailed sounds
- A nice balance of rich bass as well as some nice glassy highs
- Available to download in high quality
- Preferably music of a band rather than techno as it's easier to tell what it's supposed to sound like.

Dahhh

Once you know the clarity, listen to some heavy drum'n'bass to find out how your sub is working. I recommend Noisia - Stigma, since there's a fair amount going on throughout the spectrum there too even though the emphasis is on the WUMMMMMMMMMMMM.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

Why? It's minimally mic'ed and processed and you probably know every damn song on the album. It's not that great of a recording but good speakers will make it sound real. Listen for the round woodiness of the acoustic bass. You should be able to close your eyes and pick out the bass position in the "room." Bad speakers make the choir sound shrill and compressed, good ones separate the voices. There are lots of room noises like music stands rattling that are very obvious on good speakers. Listen for the brushes on the snare and the damper pedal on the piano. Bad speakers will make it sound like just another Christmas album in July. The speakers that get you groovin' to O' Tannenbaum in the middle of summer are the ones you want.
Quote by sashki
Mark Knopfler's solo records, in particular "The Ragpicker's Dream". All of his records are extremely well produced, with lots of layers of different instruments.

Also, Bryan Ferry's "Dylanesque"

+1

Anything by Knopfler would work really well.

And it's just generally fantastic music too.
Know Your Enemy is a good call, I've got that album and forgot it does sound sweet.
It's already been said..

But the first Rage Against The Machine album, especially Take The Power Back.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...