i just started playing guitar today, so could anyone shoot me some pointers on how to play stuff like Devourment? my brother gave me guitar pro before and i got a file off of this site for baby killer, but playing the chords hurt my hands, and when i looked at a guitar pro for ingested, i knew straight away i couldn't play that kind of stuff
Don't expect to be able to play stuff like that anytime in the upcoming future. It's really complex stuff, you will need some years of practising to be able to play deathcore.
It all takes practice. Practice on some easy songs, whether you like them or not. This site has a couple good forums that reccomend songs for new players. You're best bet is to get proper playing technique down, if chords hurt your fingers then you should practice those for a while until you get used to the positioning. I am being bias to the genre and assuming that the only chords you have to play will be power chords, these comevery easily in a short amount of time; usually.

-Just go and get some good beginner songs from thise site and start playing them, in no time you will be playing some of your favorite songs and amazing your friends.
Quote by DarkValo666
Don't expect to be able to play stuff like that anytime in the upcoming future. It's really complex stuff, you will need some years of practising to be able to play deathcore.

you bands not bad at all, reminds me a lot of in flames
Well, from a theoretical standpoint;

Grindcore melody is all about dissonance and tension.
Grindcore rhythms are all about the hard breakdowns and usually feature lots of polymeters (i.e. a measure of 5/4 followed by a measure of 8/8), complex time signatures, and rests to create "cliffhangers" - rhythm is chugging along and then rhythm section stops suddenly.

So, study rhythm and practice using complex time signatures, poly rhythms, and poly meters. If you don't know what those are, this site is a good place to learn, or you can pick up a good book on rhythm, learn from it, and start analyzing the rhythms of the songs you enjoy.

As for the melody; the two most dissonant intervals are the flat fifth and the flat second. I personally like the flat second more - when you play it as a harmonic interval, it sounds really tense. Look these up on this site or get a book on melody.

Typically, I hear a lot of grindcore bands playing with distortion. That means typical barre chords won't work - this is why a lot of these bands use voicings with two or three chord tones. Thirds, fourths, and fifths (power chords) are commonly used in the rhythm section too.

Now, for tension - the chromatic scale and chromatic modulation. Converge likes this; listen to the breakdown of Dead. That higher melody, the one that sounds like putting your face through a cheese grater made out of concrete? That's just three perfect fourths that go down a half step, up a half step, then another, then back down to the starting note. It's kind of similar to the breakdown in Zeppelin's Achilles Last Stand, right before that epic bridge with the rising thirds.

Another thing you probably figured out already - a lot of grindcore bands tune down, which means you'll want heavier gauge strings.

Technically, you'll want to get good at legato, specifically pulling off to an open string and hammering on to a note from nowhere.

For recommended listening, I'd check out "March On Electric Children" and "Burn Piano Island, Burn" by the Blood Brothers. One of my friends described it as musical calculus - it's not really my thing anymore, but those are the only two grindcore albums I've been able to get into, unless you count Converge as grindcore. I think of them more as metalcore or mathcore.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by DarkValo666

Dont know about 'years' but yer you trying to sprint before you can walk learn basics first chords, playing simple melodies and general beginner stuff.
SMILE!
Quote by DarkValo666

that's a joke right? It didn't take me *that* long to learn how to chug powerchords and some do some generic runs
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

If he is really into that style of music and really wants to play and he has a solid influence, he could pull it off.

I first got a guitar in November 2004. I purchased a TAB book for John Mayer's album "Heavier Things" and I started playing some riffs, etc from the book without knowing even basic chords, etc at that time. He may find guitar easy to pick up like I did. But i think it helped me to be hugely influenced by John Mayer and I wanted to play his stuff so bad. I mean the first chord I learned to play was C#m7add4. And it came from the TAB book. Crazy. And I'm not saying I'm god on the guitar, because I'm not. I just love to play and want to play well.

I do recommend you learn basic stuff, first. And you're likely not going to like it if you are into metal that much. Most metal heads don't have fun playing a G chord. But you gotta learn it, mango.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jul 8, 2010,
e -000--000-0-00--3harm.-------4h7-4h7------------------------0---------0--------0--00-00-0
B -111--111-1-11-------------5h8-------------3harm.-------------1---------1--------1--11-11-0

There, have a typical grindcore riff.

But for what's already been said, things like All shall Perish, and All That Remains etc, you're going to need to power workout your technical abilities and polyrhythmic skills every day for a few years. If you are dedicated enough, you can come out a shining guitar god.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Thanks for the help guys, but to someone that posted earlier, i don't want to play deathcore, that stuff is pretty lame, i want to play grindcore, and goregrind
Nearly everybody in this thread is an idiot. Grindcore is not Deathcore.
Call me Batman.
The genre isn't important, especially when it comes to learning from tabs. It doesn't matter if it's technical death metal, jazz, or what have you; when it's something out of your reach you keep playing and learning until you can play it.

When I started playing I went straight to the stuff I wanted to learn and tried, even though it was beyond my skill level. I kept on trying to learn those songs, one section at a time and when I messed up, I'd see what went wrong and try to correct it. I think this is a good way to advance and improve your technical skills quickly along with learning some songs you like.

You can't rush through it and expect to make much headway however. Take it slowly, until you can play the riff correctly and it sounds right. If you rush through it and learn the song shoddily, you'll develop bad playing habits. I know it sucks in the beginning, but the only way to get better, make your hands stop hurting from playing, and really start having a lot of fun playing, is to keep doing it.

Just keep playing and practicing, and if you're devoted enough, nothing will be out of your reach.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
I'm into technical death jazz myself

But the others here are right, if its your first day, you need finger strengthening and practice with coordination, things of that nature. Learn your chords...

Maybe a nice cover of Kumbaya?

:P

Gratz on picking up the guitar, hope you have a blast.
just because it has "core" in the name everyone assumes its the same as every other core sub genre, then someone mentions ATR which is obviously metal core on their older stuff anyway. then ASP which is death core last time i checked.... ahhhh core....
Devourment isn't grindcore, TS. You should start out with stuff like Metallica, just so the power chords will come more natural to play for you. Don't underestimate Devourment, the first minute or so of Babykiller totally wrecks my hand, and I've been playing for about 2,5 years (granted, I don't practice a lot for that kind of style, so).
Quote by Visceral_Grind
i just started playing guitar today, so could anyone shoot me some pointers on how to play stuff like Devourment? my brother gave me guitar pro before and i got a file off of this site for baby killer, but playing the chords hurt my hands, and when i looked at a guitar pro for ingested, i knew straight away i couldn't play that kind of stuff

Well, you just started playing today. That hand hurting will stay with you for a while until you get more familiar with actually playing the guitar.

TS, start with the basics. You're getting way ahead of yourself.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Your hand shouldn't hurt when you play guitar... practice it slowed way down and concentrate on staying relaxed. I didn't break any plateaus until I learned that and applied it.
Quote by STONESHAKER
Your hand shouldn't hurt when you play guitar... practice it slowed way down and concentrate on staying relaxed. I didn't break any plateaus until I learned that and applied it.

It's going to hurt, whether you like it or not. At least when you first pick up the guitar.

You're using muscles you don't normally (or you're using them in a different way) and your body has to get used to that/strengthen them. Granted, it should be more of a discomfort than an actual pain.

Except on your fingertips. You're on your own for that one. After two weeks or so, your callus would have developed and you'll be fine.

Don't ****in' pop those blisters though.
Not to start an argument, but I disagree.

The reason people play guitar and say their hand or shoulder hurts is because they are so used to playing through tension. How hard is it to push a string down to the fret so that the note will ring clearly? How hard do you have to pick a string to get a reasonable attack? None of these things require effort, yet if you walk into Guitar Center and watch some of the newbies play with the amps turned all the way up, you will see the tension. You will see the poor posture and wrist alignment. You will see the anchoring.

All these things and more create tension when people play guitar and after awhile, you lock that in through muscle memory and it feels normal, then you end up with an injury or carpal tunnel.

Think about refining your touch, not making your hand stronger. Your hand is strong enough to play guitar, for the most part. You just need to teach it to relax, build a little flexibility (which is promoted by relaxation fyi), and make sure your positioning is good.

Another more immediate thing you could do is to get lighter gauge strings and lower your action. This makes the guitar a lot easier to play.
Quote by STONESHAKER
Not to start an argument, but I disagree.

All great points (listen to this guy about this). But the hand will hurt. My wrist had to find a comfortable position. My fingers had to develop callus'. My shoulder never hurt though (well, later it did, but on those days I stopped playing because of it). FP has great vids on posture if I remember.

To get back on topic though, get lessons first.