my marshall mg100, yeah i dont care what you think about it, has started to make a very scary crackling noise when i turn it on, any suggestions what might be going on?
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
my marshall mg100, yeah i dont care what you think about it, has started to make a very scary crackling noise when i turn it on, any suggestions what might be going on?

those are tone gremlins. robbin your guitar.

no seriously, is it loud or soft in the background? and scary as in "omg my amps dying" or in some sinister progression?
i dont dare play through it, whenever i turn it on, it makes a crackling fizzing 'electricy' noise, i dont dare leave it on more than a few seconds, a friend of mine got frazzled by a old laney, hes alive, but he was in hospital for a long time, hence me bricking it
Tests are necessary
First try another guitar.
Try different cables.

I'd say it was a loose input.
Causing it to go on and off and crackle.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I think that's what the Marshall company calls "the sound of this amp"

Seriously, some soldering inside the amp probably is broken. Bring it to a store and have them check it.
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
its the old mg, its not the plug or cable

have a tech check it out if you want to try to keep it. an inspection here is usually around $40 just to look at it.
take it to a tech. even though marshalls are generally tanks (apart from eating through tubes like no other amp, but yours doesnt have any), they do have the odd issue. its probably something as simple as some loose soldering, which happens somewhat easily during transport (as was mentioned above)

however, be careful not to spend too much fixing the thing. if its more than $150 (checkups are at least $40-$50 before any repairs are done), just replace it
does anyone know how to get the bugger open? im fairly experienced with electronics but i cant seem to take it apart
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
does anyone know how to get the bugger open? im fairly experienced with electronics but i cant seem to take it apart

If you can not figure out how to crack open the case do your self a favor and take it to an amp tech.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.