Hey guys, I just started working on some Dubstep/drum n bass tracks.
Please check it out and let me know what you think, either over here or on the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/freakmmusic

ANY kind of real criticism appreciated.

and here's a link to some of my older downtempo/electronica stuff:

www.myspace.com/freakmmusic
OR
www.reverbnation.com/freakmusic

Thanks!
That's not what I know as dubstep (dubstep is shite), I'd go with drum and bass.

They're pretty good for drum and bass tracks. I would say there could be some more variation, but drum and bass tracks are like that really.
hey! thanks a lot for listening

What kind of variation would you say? Subtle ones like a change in the drum pattern? or something like a change in the actual setup of the song (verse chorus bridge that kinda stuff)

Thanks again!
Real criticism? Production needs a lot of work--- like compression, EQ, etc... it is way too bassy--- and it isn't tight. It could be my system, but it needs better balance.

The playing seems quite tentative- which is odd, since I assume it is programmed and not live.

Drum programming was rather monotonous.

If you are into this genre, I was expecting more filtering, lo-fi effects, etc...

Finally, the parts all feel pasted together. The phrases start and stop very predictably. Consider using more transitions.
hey
thanks a lot for that! really.
I agree it is really bassy, I'm still trying to figure out a good balance of frequencies.

Everything but the guitars are programmed.
Will work on the rest of the stuff

Again...thanks a lot!

EDIT: As for the filters, lo-fi stuff...That would be an error on my part. Forgot to mention that I'm not going for the traditional drum and bass sound. I don't know how to explain it but I guess it would be something like a fusion of trip-hop,electronica, downtempo, dubstep and drum n bass...if that makes sense.

Also, Could you suggest some things I could do to clean up the tracks? Some standard tips and tricks maybe?
Last edited by maggot4life at Jul 8, 2010,
I don't know what gear/software you are using-- but here are a few general tips for budget recording.

- never mix with headphones-- use some sort of monitors. If you are on a budget and using speakers, listen to a favorite song as reference and compare to it as you mix.

--you are generally better off mixing a bunch of mono tracks rather than stereo-- and it is better to record dry (you cannot remove an effect that has been already recorded). It is almost unfortunate that so much synth gear has stereo outs. A lot of "stereo" effects can mess with phasing in each channel-- and regardless, you lose control over the mix.

- cut your bass with low frequency roll-offs-- both for kicks and bass sounds. Thin your mids so they don't compete with bass, etc... you want to give each sound some space in the sonic spectrum.

-use compression as needed-- especially for bass, kicks, snares .

--aim for the highest bit stereo mixdown possible

--use some sort of soft limiting on your stereo mix to boost the levels (last two steps can possibly be combined these days-- depending on your system) as you convert to 16 bit or whatever.
I'm using Logic Pro, all the instruments (except guitar) and synths come from there.

I am mixing on speakers but the ones I got are absolute crap! saving up to get a decent pair.

Also, I record in 48Khz 24 Bit and I bounce it out as 44.1Khz 16 bit.

As for the rest of the stuff...thanks a million! Will get to work with it.

Just one more thing, about the limiters...I always put one on the stereo output channel and give it a 3dB gain and I think that is what's causing the boost in the low end. Seems to muddy up the mix.

Thanks!
Last edited by maggot4life at Jul 9, 2010,