Just a quick question, I recorded a song on guitar a couple days ago, and it's all finished except for a guitar solo which I still haven't gotten around to recording.

The thing is that I am finding that my guitar could use a set of new fresh strings. What I'm wondering is, should I just finish up recording the song before changing strings, or would the slight difference in tone that comes with putting on new strings not really be all that noticeable on the recording and not be all that huge of a deal? I know it's a little subjective, but maybe one of you had a similar experience and could share what you ended up doing?
If you're doing a guitar solo with new strings and you could wait a day or so for the strings to settle down, go for it. You might love the liveliness that new strings gives to the solo over the duller sound of used strings. Thats what I would do.

Other people would vote for the continuity of the sound, and tell you to back off the string change until you record the solo, but lets face it. If you record the solo, and find that a string snaps during your recording, you're gonna need to change em out anyway.
Well, you're going to have to wait a few days if you put the new strings on. As I'm sure you know, they don't stay in tune great the first day or two, so if you're in any kind of hurry, just record. You're tone will sound a little brighter with the new strings, so if you aren't rushed and you want it to sound slightly better, wait to get strings. The amp makes a much bigger difference thouh, so it's not a big deal either way unless you're strings are seriously messed up.
Quote by sambot12
Well, you're going to have to wait a few days if you put the new strings on. As I'm sure you know, they don't stay in tune great the first day or two

I disagree, if a string change is done nicely, it can be nice and quick (I changed my strings 20 minutes before a guitar lesson on Monday; no problems because I took my time and streched the strings).
Yeah. Stretching your strings will help in your quest. I used to coat mine in WD-40 when I was in my college dorm and didn't have the money for coated strings. Works well, but leaves a WD-40 puddle (You spray into the bag/envelopes in which your strings are kept. W-40 permeates EVERYTHING, and keeps dirt and rust off the strings fairly well).
Quote by 100%guitarmad
I disagree, if a string change is done nicely, it can be nice and quick (I changed my strings 20 minutes before a guitar lesson on Monday; no problems because I took my time and streched the strings).

I stretch them too, and yeah it'll be fine for a guitar lesson, but for a recording to sound good, they need to be 100% in tune all the time.
record it with the dull strings then change strings and record it again and see which one you like better. That's what I would do. . .