I'm writing a song in standard tuning, which I haven't done in a long, long time. Got a pretty progression for verse so far. E - B - A. I play the E in the standard open position, but B and A further up the fretboard (as below).

Let's write a song together! Any suggestions for a chorus, bridge, etc?

Here's how I am playing the chords

ACOUSTIC GUITAR

E
--0----
--0----
--1----
--2----
--2----
--0----

B (actually Badd4)
--0----
--7----
--8----
--9----
--x----
--7----

A
--0----
--5----
--6----
--7----
--x----
--5----

Use thumb on low E string for both Bmaj and Amaj chords.
It's allowing me to get some cool hammer-ons with the pinky.

I actually want to call the B, Badd4.
Since the high E is left open for a for a more shimmery sound.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jul 8, 2010,
Okay, you've got a nice I V IV progression.

I can't really suggest anything for your song other than do use other chords that are in the key of E. But that's the safe way, and can get a tad boring.

You can voice a chord with the third in the bass. Hendrix really loved to do that.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Okay, you've got a nice I V IV progression.

I can't really suggest anything for your song other than do use other chords that are in the key of E. But that's the safe way, and can get a tad boring.

You can voice a chord with the third in the bass. Hendrix really loved to do that.

It's not as simple or beginner as it looks I promise.
I was playing around with it earlier and was getting some awesome hammer-ons and pull-offs on the Badd4 and A. Got chills. I have always avoided using simple chords (which is one reason why I'm playing them in weird position up the neck), but this is sounding great so far.

Will def share with you as it grows.
Will also attempt to put this thing into Tux Guitar, but I'm still new to these TAB programs and haven't been using them too much, but it's a good way to let you hear what's going on.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Going to go ahead and take a break for the night because I'm going no where with it for now. I'm sure that will change tomorrow.

I'm so stuck on the song that another one sprouted from it. I found two really cool, jazz, laid back sounding chords. They will of course not be included in this song, but I will do something with them because I love they way they are sounding. Upon examining the two chords, I decided they should be called Em9/G and Am11. They are bellow. Check 'em out.

Em9/G
--0---
--3---
--4---
--4---
--x---
--3---

Am11
--0---
--3---
--5---
--5---
--0---
------

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by c_foster88
Going to go ahead and take a break for the night because I'm going no where with it for now. I'm sure that will change tomorrow.

I'm so stuck on the song that another one sprouted from it. I found two really cool, jazz, laid back sounding chords. They will of course not be included in this song, but I will do something with them because I love they way they are sounding. Upon examining the two chords, I decided they should be called Em9/G and Am11. They are bellow. Check 'em out.

Em9/G
--0---
--3---
--4---
--4---
--x---
--3---

Am11
--0---
--3---
--5---
--5---
--0---
------

Your first chord is a G major 7
Quote by Sean0913
Your first chord is a G major 7

It would be Gmaj7 if I didn't have the High E open.
But we could call it Gmaj7add6

~Leonardo da Vinci
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jul 9, 2010,
You're right - I didn't catch that initially - its late here. Makes sense now, I was actually asking myself how you nailed the Am11 (I checked your work) and yet not found the G maj7 :P

alas

G B D F# E is Gmaj 7 add 6

Kidding...

I get your point - You're correct though, with the open E it's best known as an Em9/G

Sean
No problem, man. Haha. I actually re-checked whenever you said it was Gmaj7, because I thought you'd have more of a chance to be right than myself.

I still haven't gone anywhere with those two chords, or the first three I posted. Feels so weird to be in standard tuning for so long, but I've been really into scale practice lately. I have saved some G strings for sure by not re-tuning constantly. Planning on exploring DADGAD today though. Or dropping it half a step. That's always nice.

~Leonardo da Vinci