Page 1 of 2
writing an article and i can't remember a specific word that's perfect.

it refers basically to a psychological condition or just a common superstitious way of thinking whereby you believe that certain (or all) events depend on your actions, even if the events are huge global things. usually the word is used when it is (or is almost) logically impossible for your actions to have influenced the event in question to any degree.

for example, if you were watching the world cup on the t.v. and thought that leaving the room might result in your team conceding a goal, you might be said to have this condition.

anyone remember the word?
I just quickly went to wikipedia and found this Black Swan Theory

Didn't read all of it so I'm not sure if this is what you mean.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
is it in here somewhere? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

good idea but i've already had a look through wikipedia. can't find it anywhere. i know it exists i'm not going potty.

and a self-fulfilling prophecy is different yeah. that's essentially the idea that the existence of a prophecy influences events so that said prophecy (which was originally false) becomes true (i.e. fulfils itself). basically macbeth.
Quote by skagitup
writing an article and i can't remember a specific word that's perfect.

it refers basically to a psychological condition or just a common superstitious way of thinking whereby you believe that certain (or all) events depend on your actions, even if the events are huge global things. usually the word is used when it is (or is almost) logically impossible for your actions to have influenced the event in question to any degree.

for example, if you were watching the world cup on the t.v. and thought that leaving the room might result in your team conceding a goal, you might be said to have this condition.

anyone remember the word?

Karma?
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Quote by jonne.i
I just quickly went to wikipedia and found this Black Swan Theory

Didn't read all of it so I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

not that no but it's a great book. have you read it?
Superstitious or Paranoid
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by boreamor
Vain?

Edit: You basically want the scientific term for believing the world revolves around you?

it's not really vanity as much as it is superstition. vanity suggests an arrogance which is out of place here really.

say you were watching your favourite sports personality in the olympics and he/she had done brilliantly the first two days when you were wearing the same t-shirt. you might keep it on for the third day for "good luck". that kind of thinking. this word applies to that.
Quote by skagitup
it's not really vanity as much as it is superstition. vanity suggests an arrogance which is out of place here really.

say you were watching your favourite sports personality in the olympics and he/she had done brilliantly the first two days when you were wearing the same t-shirt. you might keep it on for the third day for "good luck". that kind of thinking. this word applies to that.

I know what you mean now. And I honestly can't think of a word better than superstitious... Stupid?
Quote by skagitup

That, my good sir, IS superstition
Quote by skagitup
not that no but it's a great book. have you read it?

No, I just noodled around wikipedia Maybe I will some day, I'm starting to study psychology next year at school (Finnish version of high school/upper secondary/6th form or something like that)
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Quote by skagitup

Aw dammit, I have it on the tip of my tongue now

It would be to do with keeping routines, right? although I can't actually remember it...
Quote by Ichikurosaki
That, my good sir, IS superstition

it's a form of superstition yes. but this word refers to this specific form of it.
Paranoid or megalomaniac paranoid perhaps.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by skagitup
events depend on your actions, even if the events are huge global things. usually the word is used when it is (or is almost) logically impossible for your actions to have influenced the event in question to any degree.

The Butterfly Effect aka The Chaos Theory
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
I know exactly what you're talking about, TS. The whole belief that what you do will effect something that it is actually impossible for you to effect.

Can't remember what the hell it's called, though.
Quote by Zombee
The Butterfly Effect aka The Chaos Theory

That's not quite what he's talking about. Basically, it's if you wore a certain t-shirt when you went on a walk and then you found a £20 note on the street. And then another time you wore the same t-shirt and found another £20 in a different place, you'd think to yourself that there's a relationship between that t-shirt and finding money. Thus it's now your "money t-shirt".

It's not narcissism or megalomania because you believe you're important enough to influence these things, but more these things happened and it was a coincedence, but your mind creates a link between them and you keep that link.
Quote by boreamor
That's not quite what he's talking about. Basically, it's if you wore a certain t-shirt when you went on a walk and then you found a £20 note on the street. And then another time you wore the same t-shirt and found another £20 in a different place, you'd think to yourself that there's a relationship between that t-shirt and finding money. Thus it's now your "money t-shirt".

It's not narcissism or megalomania because you believe you're important enough to influence these things, but more these things happened and it was a coincedence, but your mind creates a link between them and you keep that link.

Strong and/or schizophrenic paranoid confirmation bias...?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I read the OP and thought he was looking for something different, now I can't think of what I was trying to think of D:

What's it called..when like one minor event changes a major event? Like, killing a butterfly in prehistoric times can drastically change the future.

YAKNOW?
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.
Obviously it's a form of superstition, the question is does it have a specific name.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by boreamor

Association?
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Coincidence? luck? God, I know what you're talkin about but I can't think of the word.
Slappa tha bass
Preordained is the word you seek.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Was looking on google 'til I found this. WTF?

Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Page 1 of 2