I've recently been getting into Melodic Hardcore and Metalcore bands like Misery Signals, It Prevails, For The Fallen Dreams, and The Ghost Inside, and I love there types of guitar tones! I've seen a few of the bands live, and I know they all have tons of pedals that they use to get there sound. My Line 6 amp is not good enough (or maybe I'm just not knowledgeable enough) to get the types of sounds they have when playing. Thus, I've decided that maybe I should invest in some pedals! The problem is, I have no clue what pedals to get. There are far too many pedals to choose from. The other problem is, I no longer trust Guitar Center on anything, and they're the closest store in my area that sells guitars and gear. I figured that someone here into the same style of music may be able to suggest some pedals to try out or look into.

As far as specific tones that I'd like to emulate, I love the tone of the solo in For The Fallen Dreams' "In Sincerity," and The Ghost Inside's tone for their intro and outro lead guitar parts. I like It Prevails' overall tone too. Their guitarist said it was all his delay pedal, but he ran off before I asked him what he used.

So, what would you guys suggest? I would love some input from everyone though on what pedals I should look at! Any help is definitely appreciated!
what type of line six amp ?
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
I've got a ESP LTD EC 1000 Deluxe and a Line 6 Spyder IV Amp. It's loud and has quite a few effects on it, but it still doesnt sound the same. I love my guitar though.
like he said, new amp first
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Oh, and for now, lets not worry too much about budget. But I'd say no more than $400 a piece for anything. I may go with used gear, which changes up prices quite a bit.
i would call all of those bands metalcore first off.

second, it doesnt matter what guitar or pedals you have, a Line 6 Spider isn't going to sound good for any style of play. They are pretty much the joke of the music industry. Get some kind of Peavey amp.
yeah, get a new amp. i recently just rid myself of my spider III
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
shouldnt put pedals infront of a digital modeling amp
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Yeah, I figured that much. I'm not a huge fan of Line 6 either, but I got a great deal on it and since I'm not using it for much more than practicing, I'm not too worried about it. I'll be off at college and I didn't want anything too nice that ass holes could steal. I figured I'd sell it and get something new after I find an apartment in a year or so.

I guess all I could say is, pretend my amp wasn't complete shit... then what? hah
pedals would just make it sounded more shitty :S so not much you could do beside tweak your settings sorry brah

and im pretty sure it is a modeler
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
pretty sure I would know if it was a modeler, since I own one

it has 4 channels a lots of onboard effects, but nothing that would make it a "modeler". the peavey vypyr is a modeler as it models other amps sounds(not very well though)

EDIT:I have a spider 3, is the 4 different?
Quote by handbanana
the peavey vypyr is a modeler as it models other amps sounds(not very well though)

Then you haven't tried the tube series, or played with the settings very much...

I've owned 2 Vettas and the Vypyr Tube saddens me at how much better it sounds than the top-of-the-line Line 6 modeler, for a lot less new
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Then you haven't tried the tube series, or played with the settings very much...

I've owned 2 Vettas and the Vypyr Tube saddens me at how much better it sounds than the top-of-the-line Line 6 modeler, for a lot less new

actually I have, all the vypyrs suck imo. I wouldn't suggest one to anyone who needs something more than an entry level amp. They are really the most overrated amp on the market. And for their price it's worth it to save the exra $100-200 for a good all tube amp. Vypyr is seriously a joke, and a lot of people on here jock them, but every time i've tried one it has sounded like garbage, even compared to my cheap Marshall Hybrid.
Quote by handbanana
actually I have, all the vypyrs suck imo. I wouldn't suggest one to anyone who needs something more than an entry level amp. They are really the most overrated amp on the market. And for their price it's worth it to save the exra $100-200 for a good all tube amp. Vypyr is seriously a joke, and a lot of people on here jock them, but every time i've tried one it has sounded like garbage, even compared to my cheap Marshall Hybrid.

Maybe we're hearing something different here, but I'd rather have a Vypyr Tube than half the tube amps in my Guitar Center that are price 2 - 3 times what is it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by handbanana
you obviously haven't tried a lot of different amps then.

LOL

Do you even know who you're talking to?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
do i care?

i wouldnt say the vypyr is any better than the line 6

i don't care if your jimmy page, the vypyr is a piece of crap
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by kayman121

Matrix is awesome and it's clear that his feces would probably exhibit a greater understanding of amps than you.

I think this applies here.
Gear

Ibanez RG321mh
GND Strat
Laney Cub 12
Crybaby GCB-95
Boss TU-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Marshall BB-2
EHX Little Big Muff
Joyo Ultimate Drive
SHO Clone
Boss DD-7
Boss DD-20
Boss CH-1
Daphone Volume Pedal
Quote by handbanana
your point?

so because he has more money than me he auotmatically has a better opinion?

No, because he's tried out more amps than I probably even knew existed. So yes, his opinion is valued a lot more than yours, my friend.

To be on topic, there's not much to be done with a Spider. It doesn't take pedals very well, so you either should sell it and buy something else, or just tweak the setting on it to find a better sound. You said you were taking it to college and just practice around the house? Spider should be fine for that. Now, if you were to get in with a band and start playing shows or something, I'd replace it.
Quote by handbanana
your point?

so because he has more money than me he auotmatically has a better opinion?

That post above quoting someone had nothing to do with opinion. But no, he is far better informed than you. That's why he has a "better opinion".
for the record, i've actually heard better tones out of a new marshall mg then out of a vypyr. I still say they are severely overrated.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
To be on topic, there's not much to be done with a Spider. It doesn't take pedals very well, so you either should sell it and buy something else, or just tweak the setting on it to find a better sound. You said you were taking it to college and just practice around the house? Spider should be fine for that. Now, if you were to get in with a band and start playing shows or something, I'd replace it.

Agreed.

If you're not using it for anything other than practice, I'd just keep it. Either that, or sell it and buy a POD XT/X3 Live, if you ever need an amp for live play - you can plug directly into the sound system, and for practice, you can use headphones. It's also very useful for recording, has tons of effects and amps, and sounds pretty awesome with some tweaking

Quote by handbanana
for the record, i've actually heard better tones out of a new marshall mg then out of a vypyr. I still say they are severely overrated.

Something tells me you just want to start a flame war, or you have some ridiculous grudge against Peavey.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
That post above quoting someone had nothing to do with opinion. But no, he is far better informed than you. That's why he has a "better opinion".

how do you know that? you don't even know who I am or anything about me?

I'm not saying my opinion is better or anything, cause there is nothing to base over the internet that it is. Which is pretty much what you are doing.
Quote by handbanana

Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
the spider isn't a modeler, but still horrible

Quote by handbanana

Really dude? Really? Really? Really? Really? Really? Really? Re-e-e-a-a-l-l-y-y-y??? So the statements of the crunch models being models of the plexi and jumpered plexi respectively, the statements on the red metal model being a recto model, and the various Fender and AC30 models (all of this being horrible quality) are totally irrelevant? Not to mention that MC has owned more amps than the amount of times a year I hit a bad note in a solo?

But seriously...tone is subjective. One, ten, or a thousand opinions don't make a fact. They do make bandwagons though.

I would say that if you only practice on your Line 6, then it will suffice until you can finally afford a decent amp. The Spider series isn't the most toneful sounding of amps, but it's good enough to practice on.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by ze monsta
That post above quoting someone had nothing to do with opinion. But no, he the keeps up with what's trendy on here. That's why he has a "better opinion".

Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by handbanana

+1
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by handbanana

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by handbanana

Oh lawds...

Derek, can I pllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease post your blog?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
i lul'd so hard poop came out my butt and i drooled a little. true story.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
TS - try some pedals in front of the amps at GC if you can. See what you come up with.

handbanana this is for you.