Hey everyone
Im a beginner electric guitar player and i would like some distortion outta ma amp
But when i turn my distortion on and put my dist. gain and level full
i still get a shitty sound
Im playing on a yamaha guitar with a skytronic 45w amp
Anyone help me plz?
Quote by Stereohead
i have no idea what kinda amp it is
and i think my budget is around 180$

If you can bump it to 200 check out the Vox Ac4tv mini...its a tube amp, and its really great for bedroom playing. If you want a bigger amp though, you may need to look on craigslist for something used.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Okay thanks for the help
I will drop by the local store to look fore some amps
and if they dont have some nice one's
i will consider buying it
what type of music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ProCo Rat (Distortion)
Big Muff Pi (Distortion/Fuzz)
MI Audio Crunch Box (Crunch/Distortion)
TS-808 (Tube Screamer)
Boss OD (Overdrive)
MXR M-103 (Blues Overdrive)

Look at these and decide which sound you prefer. Tell us and we might be able to find something more suited to you.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Stereohead
Okay thanks for the help
I will drop by the local store to look fore some amps
and if they dont have some nice one's
i will consider buying it

If you do this, try not to fall into manifacturers' traps; big brands often make their crappy starter amp look good to begginers that know nothing about amp and tone by adding loads crappy features, and writing the feature list in big shiny font to make them look awesome and writing the word "professional" everywhere.

That said, I don't what amp to recommend since you didn't say anything about the genres you play, but the Vox ac4 suggested above is really good if you don't play metal. The Peavey Vypyrs are not too bad if you do play metal.
Last edited by Sguit at Jul 8, 2010,
Idk that he needs a new amp guys. Not to say that his current amp is good, just that, from his post, he's a starting player who probably needs to learn to EQ and adjust his distortion levels more than he needs to drop $200 on another starter amp.

Stereohead, set all the EQ knobs on your amp (they're probably labeled Bass, Mid, Treble or Low, Med, High or something like that) to their halfway points. then adjust each one up and down one at a time learning how each one affects the tone. Do this til you've got a decent tone. Also, try only turning your distortion to halfway or so. If you're overdriving a solidstate amp it'll sound pretty bad.
If you do go SS, I'd go for a Roland Cube
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Does your amp have a clean channel/setting?

Another option is to deal with it and save up.

Get to the $300 - $400 mark and you will have a lot more options, especially used.

Otherwise, the Vypyr can hit Foo and Wolf on the Plexi or Bad Cat setting.
Stereohead, please don't buy another starter practice amp before you try playing around with the settings. The distortion is not meant to be all the way up. And if you're not using your eq settings, well and you crank you're distortion all the way up, it could very well sound pretty crappy.

Learn to use your equipment to the best of its abilities before rushing out to buy something new. You'll just run into the same problem. Knowing how to tweak your amp's settings is a crucial skill that won't be fixed by buying a more expensive amp.

Tweak your amp, I'm 100% sure you can get a somewhat decent sound out of it, save up, and when you're ready, invest in something thats not just another starter amp. As good as amps like the vypyr and that sort of thing are, they're still starter amps. Let me put it this way, people don't upgrade to cubes and vypyrs (dont get me wrong, they're great amps) they upgrade from cubes and vypyrs to things like Classic 30s and other budget tube amps. What I'm saying is, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you learn to work your gear properly and then step up to the next level of amps in a year or so rather than stepping sideways to another practice amp that you still wont know how to adjust properly.
Quote by Stereohead
i have no idea what kinda amp it is
and i think my budget is around 180$
If you can go up to $200 a Fender Vibro Champ XD is a good choice. If you like to fiddle with buttons and knobs a Vypyr 15 for $100 isn't a bad amp.