Alright so there's this guy at my church who wants me to teach him how to read music, and he plays guitar. I'm very capable of reading sheet music myself, but I've never had to teach anyone else how to. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with learning to read music/teaching someone else and what you think is the best way to go about teaching it...I plan on getting him to learn the notes on a basic level (using some exercises on musictheory.net) and then after a couple weeks of that show him where they are on the guitar. Is there a better way to do this? I'm just worried he'll get frustrated and give up and I definitely want to avoid that.
From your post, I assume he doesn't even know what notes there are. Is that it?
Every good Boy Deserves Fun

Face.

This is my fountain of knowledge for reading music LOL

EDIT:

I think it's EGBDF, I just blanked
Quote by sickman411
From your post, I assume he doesn't even know what notes there are. Is that it?

I don't really get what you mean here...was my post not clear?
show him what a scale looks like on paper and then show him how to play and then put them together. it's easiest when teaching beginners notes to keep it in first position. start off with open strings, then the notes inbetween.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Get him playing something on the guitar in the first lesson, that way he feels accomplished, no matter how simple it may be. If he has to go without playing for a couple weeks then he'll likely get bored and quit.

Go to a music store and select a beginners book to reading sheet music for guitar. Use that book to aid in the teaching and learning process.
Here's a tip, when you are teaching him to sight-read songs don't use the generic beginner songs like "Mary Had A Little Lamb." He will probably recognize the song and play by ear, rather than actually reading the notes. I think its best to give him some random note exercises (just write random notes on the paper) to see if he is truly reading.
Quote by justaramsfan
Alright so there's this guy at my church who wants me to teach him how to read music, and he plays guitar. I'm very capable of reading sheet music myself, but I've never had to teach anyone else how to. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with learning to read music/teaching someone else and what you think is the best way to go about teaching it...I plan on getting him to learn the notes on a basic level (using some exercises on musictheory.net) and then after a couple weeks of that show him where they are on the guitar. Is there a better way to do this? I'm just worried he'll get frustrated and give up and I definitely want to avoid that.

Method Book

HaL leanord book 1 is pretty easy to get through. Not exciting, but hey if he wants to learn to read he'll deal with it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by justaramsfan
I don't really get what you mean here...was my post not clear?

More or less.
What I can gather is: he can play guitar, as in he can play a song given a tab, but he hasn't the slightest idea of what exactly he's playing. He doesn't know what steps or half-steps are or how notes relate to each other. He totally dissociates playing and basic theory.

Am I correct?

Just assuming all he knows is that C, D, E, F, G, A and B exist, start by teaching him what a step is and which of these notes are within the distance of a step or a half-step from the previous one. Move on to accidentals.

Then tell him how it translates to musical notation. (just use little circles up to this point, with no rhythmical component whatsoever) Then on the guitar.

Then teach him what quarter-notes, eighth-notes, etc. are and time signatures.

Edit: Sorry if this sloppy/not clear enough. There are some sheet music-related words I only really know in Portuguese...
Last edited by sickman411 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by sickman411
More or less.
What I can gather is: he can play guitar, as in he can play a song given a tab, but he hasn't the slightest idea of what exactly he's playing. He doesn't know what steps or half-steps are or how notes relate to each other. He totally dissociates playing and basic theory.

Am I correct?

Just assuming all he knows is that C, D, E, F, G, A and B exist, start by teaching him what a step is and which of these notes are within the distance of a step or a half-step from the previous one. Move on to accidentals.

Then tell him how it translates to musical notation. (just use little circles up to this point, with no rhythmical component whatsoever) Then on the guitar.

Then teach him what quarter-notes, eighth-notes, etc. are and time signatures.

Edit: Sorry if this sloppy/not clear enough. There are some sheet music-related words I only really know in Portuguese...

I get what you're saying...but he's not ready for accidentals yet. Once he can identify notes on the page I figured it'd be a good time to cover accidentals, but it's kinda fast for him atm so I'm taking it slow:/

What I'm really asking for is how long it took some of you guys to get a handle on reading music (I started when I was a kid so I don't really remember when I learned how to read), and what you did to help speed up the process