Hi there!

I bought this guitar from eBay a while back and i'm having a nightmare identifying it's model!:
http://img816.imageshack.us/i/ib1.jpg/
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/ib2fu.jpg/
http://img84.imageshack.us/i/ib3.jpg/

Serial number: F937066

So, Made in Japan 1989 apparently.

However, the headstock doesn't have the Ibanez imprint. I have no idea what model this would be, the seller claimed this to be a prototype (sounds dodgy), he also (I think) claimed it to be a DX. I found a guitar that looks similar in the 89 catalog, the Ibanez RG550, which also lists "violet" under the availiable finishes (which I believe my guitar could be). The problem with the RG theory is that my guitar has an extra back panal than the other ones I have seen. The guitar plays beautifully and sounds nice, I do believe it to be a Ibanez (Ibanez is imprinted on the neck-plate also) but I just can't identify the model!

Any help would really be appreciated, I hope i've posted this in the right section of the forum! Thank you!
Last edited by Crosseyedbear at Jul 8, 2010,
Anyone could have put that neck plate on there. So it could be junk with an Ibanez neck plate on it, or it could be an Ibanez someone refinished. If you feel comfortable doing it remove the neck from the body and see if there is anything stamped on the heel of the neck, and in the neck pocket on the body.

I got this info from your serial -
Fuji-gen Plant, Japan
Production Number: 37066

But like I said, that neck plate might not be original.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Jul 8, 2010,
I'm not an Ibanez expert, but try this forum, I'm sure they can help. It does look like an RG, and that spot looks like someone removed the brand name from the headstock.
Thanks guys, I might have to take the neck off and have a look. It sounds and plays really well, if it's a rip-off then it's certainly a good one! I'll try the forum suggested, though if anyone on here can help me out further that'd be amazing! Thanks
where is hte serial number, on the back of the headstock? do you have any bigger, clearer pictures? From the look of the pictures you have provided (which i can't make out properly), i'd say either it's legit, or a very well-done fake. that looks like a proper edge, the middle pickup is the proper s1 (i'm guessing the bridge and neck are dimarzios, what is that, tone zone and paf pro?), the shape is right, as is the scratchplate etc.

as you say, though, that extra back plate is weird, and i thought 550s had maple boards.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://img594.imageshack.us/i/007sc.jpg/

This is the serial number on the back of the headstock. The single-coil says s1 on it, the two humbuckers im not amazingly sure of, i'll get a close up uploaded soon though.

I paid about £250 for it I think, the guy was baffled as much as I was, but it's a nice guitar to play at least.

EDIT:
http://img443.imageshack.us/i/ib4o.jpg/

Here are the pick-ups
ok, the serial number looks good. as i said, if it is a fake, it's a remarkable good one, the correct gotoh tuners, too. it could always be an MIJ rg neck, of course, but too much of the rest of it looks right.

there isn't an embossed "dimarzio" on the bottom right of the humbuckers? if not, i guess you could always take them out, with any luck it'll say on the back. but the neck at least looks very like a dimarzio.

the s1 is the stock ibanez single coil, as far as i'm aware.

i would say it's probably alright, but I'm not an expert. It's not an obvious fake, and the things I know to look for, like the serial number, the trem etc. look ok. you could try jemsite or somewhere like that which has more ibanez experts.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jemsite? Brilliant, thank you! Its certaintly a baffling guitar, hopefully I can get to the bottom of it. If I do find out from somewhere else i'll post in this thread, it might cure anyone's mild curiousity at least hah.

EDIT:

It is indeed a lovely guitar! I would say it's an RG550, but like I said the backplate is very odd and i'm not sure for what reason it wouldn't have Ibanez branded on the headstock either.
I've had good feed back posting to the 'Ibanez forum'.

Only poroblem is, if you are like me, you get tired of having to subscribe to ask a question.
no problem. it might even have been refinished, which would explain the lack of a logo. or if it is indeed a prototype, that also might explain it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got an answer from Ibanezcollecters and:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=203&now=11
The Ibanez RG550DX "PN" finish seems to be ALMOST a perfect match. Except, the neck of my guitar is rosewood and the catalog says maple! ughhh

Also, the serial has 93 in it where the date should be: "F-93-7066 ", which makes sense?

EDIT:

OK, ok ok. I think i've come to a logical conclusion thanks to:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/reference/dating.htm

The serial number on the back is weird. There is meant to be six digits after the "9" (which supposedly suggested it was 89), but there are only 5 digits. Due to it being in the 93 catalog and having "93" followed by digits but this not synching with the normal serial formula pre-97 of the first number of the serial being the last number of the year followed by six digits (like F9-123456 would be 1989) and the fingerboard is rosewood, not maple, i'm going to conclude its a RG550DXPN Prototype.

Et viola.

Thanks everyone
Though it seems you've figured it out, I've noticed from the pictures at least that the finish on the body, and the head stock don't match. So To me I'd almost guess that someone bought the RG550DXPN, and disliked the neck, which they then bought another wizard neck with the fretboard they liked, then painted it in a similar color to make the guitar at least match, which would explain the slight off coloring( to my knowledge that finish is expensive) and the lack of a Logo, as it was painted over.

I'm probably wrong buy judging from the pictures that's what I got from it
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Though it seems you've figured it out, I've noticed from the pictures at least that the finish on the body, and the head stock don't match. So To me I'd almost guess that someone bought the RG550DXPN, and disliked the neck, which they then bought another wizard neck with the fretboard they liked, then painted it in a similar color to make the guitar at least match, which would explain the slight off coloring( to my knowledge that finish is expensive) and the lack of a Logo, as it was painted over.

I'm probably wrong buy judging from the pictures that's what I got from it

That's another viable theory too, for sure. But with a new neck would it have the serial number on?
Quote by Crosseyedbear
That's another viable theory too, for sure. But with a new neck would it have the serial number on?

If it was another ibanez neck of there guitar, not a licensed reproduction. It would have the serial of the original guitar the neck was off. =/
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
If it was another ibanez neck of there guitar, not a licensed reproduction. It would have the serial of the original guitar the neck was off. =/

Hmmmmmm, its possible. I'm gonna take the neck off tomorrow and have a proper look to see what it is. I'm trying to figure out what it is so I can sell it with accurate info and so I can value it a bit better .

EDIT:
Actually, I doubt i'll be selling it
yeah. the ibanez serial is generally on the back of the headstock, so if it were a replacement neck off another RG, the serial you've got is the serial of the guitar which the neck was taken off.

But at least it sounds like you have some theories and that you're getting somewhere. The different neck with refinished headstock to match sounds pretty plausible, and also ties in (as i said) with the fact it has a pickguard but that rosewood board. though now that i remember, around the year 2000 the rg450 had a pickguard and rosewood board (but it wasn't mij, i don't think).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 8, 2010,
Finally found out!

"This is a 1993 RG-570 PN (Purple Neon). Somebody scratched off the Ibanez logo--very easy to do, as it's just screen printed on. The neck pickup is not stock, and I suspect the bridge pup as well. Somebody added an aftermarket clear Jem77BFP style pickguard.

I've got two of these--check out my thread with the "twins."

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/pu...it-103447.html"

Thanks everyone, it looks like I got a good deal!
Last edited by Crosseyedbear at Jul 9, 2010,
ah the aftermarket pickguard! That explains it. glad to hear you found out what it was EDIT: for £250, especially with upgraded pickups (as i said, they look like dimarzios to me, especially the neck pickup, but they might not be), that sounds like a steal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?