I want to know how to this high pitched technique that you hear from singers like David Lee Roth and Michael Starr of Steel Panther. This is a good example of what I am talking about, go to 4:45 and listen on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrS-okMS34

I understand that every voice is different, but I can do this high pitched scream. However it does not sound right. To do it I inhale but I think these guys are exhaling. I'm not a singer, so sorry if I couldn't give an exact term for it. I also apologize If I shouldn't have made a seperate thread.

Thanks in advance.
My internet is too slow at the moment to load the video, but I can tell you unless they're pig squealing they're definitely not inhaling.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 10, 2010,
Thanks, I hope your computer starts working fine. Yeah it's definitely not a pig squeal, it almost sounds like a whistle or harmonic on top of high pitched singing. I don't know how to describe it, thanks anyway.
Although I don't know much about singing technique, that sounds like regular singing in the chest voice, just really high, and with vibrato. Or maybe it's just a really well-developed, well-supported falsetto voice.
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
I always thought it was some sort of scream because some times when they end whatever they're doing it gets higher in pitch. I don't know exactly what I am talking about. If that is chest voice then how do you sing in chest voice? And how do you make it sound like that?
It's really well developed and supported falsetto screaming. No question about it to me.

Please for the love of god don't try it. If you're not blessed with an extraordinary falsetto range all that you'll do is tear and rape your vocal chords.

---------

I see you're inhaling, yeah, just so you know inhale screaming can wreck your vocal chords pretty quick.

Hes exhaling at basically the highest extent of the most gifted males range. It's falsetto singing, with enough distortion added to sound like a scream. He probably also has to scream to hit the note? I don't know enough about him.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jul 10, 2010,
I'm not really a singer so I am not sure what range I am. I also figured inhaling wasn't the way to go because every now and then my throat would be sore for a second afterwards. Another reason I wanted to learn how to do this is because I could only make a couple of sounds inhaling and I could not really sing anything or form words. If you don't know much about that singer you may want to check out David Lee Roth of Van Halen. While I think that you know what you are talking about. You may find a few more good examples by clicking around on this soundboard. http://www.realmofdarkness.net/sounds/dlr/dlr-soundboard-2.htm
Last edited by Frankenstein316 at Jul 10, 2010,
Yeah its falsetto screaming i do it all the time just a bit lower.
The easiest way to do it is to go into falsetto and then and add a bit of grit to your voice and then just keep adding on to it and raise the pitch.
Its pretty hard explaining but once you kind of start getting the hang of it it becomes pretty easy.
Quote by Ghast
It's really well developed and supported falsetto screaming. No question about it to me.

Hi Ghast. It's not a "high pitched supported falsetto" at all. It's well known form called using your "whistle register". There's a whole write up on it on Wiki and examples can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFF77xkGyU

Falsetto is a wholly different form of oscillation. Brush up on your observational skills. I have been able to do this since childhood and can teach people. In fact trying to start a whistle by reaching up toward falsetto is the first mistake. You are more relaxed in whistle register actually and it doesn't tear up your voice at all. The hardest part about teaching people is teaching them not to "try" to go up. It comes from relaxing the part of your vocals you'd expect to to the work and letting the whistle become your note.

The best way I can describe it is to start the initial squeak and let the muscles in your larynx relax and the upper chest do the work of "reaching". It's very easy and doesn't use much air either unless you force it very loudly. You're "hiding" your chest voice by relaxing it false and ring the whistle which feels like it's shelved on top of your chest voice.

Mario
This is not the whistle register. This is a well compressed falsetto.
The reason it doesn't sound like a regular falsetto, is becaused a lot less air is used, and when compressing falsetto is can sound full and almost like a high pitched chest voice.
The technique could easily be confused with a well-blended mix register, but that requires more support, and has a slightly fuller voice than this. (Think Axl Rose, Myles Kennedy, Adam Lambert)

Edit:
There are three common used techniques to reach a high pitched voice, excluding the whistle register, which is mostly used by women.

1. The mixed register/voice, a mix between chest and head voice. (Myles Kennedy)
2. The supported and compressed falsetto. (Brad Delp from Boston)
3. The distorted sound/Screaming (Sebastian Bach)

Note; I chose these vocalists because they mainly stick to one of the technique, though im aware that they can probably master all the techniques. I know that Sebastian Bach can use the compressed falsetto as he does it in "Psycho Love"
Last edited by KrisHQ at Jul 9, 2011,
I was fairly certain that the whistle register is a woman's falsetto, because their voices are already so high that it has its own name...
Quote by MarioPass
Brush up on your observational skills. I have been able to do this since childhood and can teach people.

Brush up on your social skills. You sound like an asshole in this post. I have been able to disagree with someone without offending them since childhood.