I realise I'm opening a can of worms here, but I'll delete it if it gets out of hand.

An article written in my school's newspaper (by a girl) criticized women's magazines for their lack of variety and apparent catering towards a stereotypical woman. This article got me thinking.

A typical "woman's" magazine contains:
-Celebrity news
-Beauty tips
-Fashion
-Diet tips and recipes
-Relationship advice, usually in the form of a list ("20 signs your boyfriend is cheating" etc.)

A lot of men's magazines are "lad's mags", which are only about cars, tits and beer (mostly just tits), but there are also publications that cover a much wider range of topics.

Men's magazines such as GQ and the russian "Medved" contained:
-Women
-Fashion
-Politics
-Economics
-History
-Technology
-Health
-Art, music and literature reviews and discussions
-Family life
-Interviews with and biographical articles about businessmen, designers, authors and political figures

Why, pit?

WHY?

Discuss. Try to be polite.

I don't read "gender specific" magazines at all. As a matter of fact, I don't have the attention span to read anything longer than a forum post.
Hmm. My girlfriend and I are both university graduates. She subscribed to People's and I subscribed to The Economist.

Dunno why. :/
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Because women are shallow and men are men.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I have always thought it was stupid. My sister reads cosmo and it's a load of drivel, although I do sometimes like the hair and makeup sections. But then it's like 40 pages of stuff on tanning and dieting and celebrities and boyfriends and star signs and complete bullshit.

As for the reasons why, I have no idea but it's probably devolving, they have more ridiculous real-life stories and celebrity tabloid crap than they used to.

When I was a kid and buying magazines (late 90s) there were ones aimed for pre-teenagers, with music news and things like that, which were meant to be unisex, but then they obviously saw the teenage girl market looming as they started adding on free lip gloss gifts and talking about star signs, and I even saw some letters of complaint from boys saying they wouldn't buy it any more.

Basically, because the magazine editors think they can make more money from gender-focused magazines
I can't stand women's magazines. ALL of them are literally advert-every-other-page. I don't see how they get away with the amount of money they make.
Women can read?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Women can read?

What's written on the oven.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Beacuse the ****ers who write that bullshit just focus on selling... they make the girls or men to think in specific things (which is suposed to be their genre) and then they sell them that bullcrap. Clever.

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by Anthony1991
Women can read?

Only uncomplicated stuff, like recipes. Even then, they screw it up.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
I can't stand women's magazines. ALL of them are literally advert-every-other-page. I don't see how they get away with the amount of money they make.

Every magazine is like that. Ever seen a guitar magazine? Advert on EVERY SINGLE page. I've actually counted the pages: in Guitar World, there's more ads than content.
Yeah, I feel sad for my sister when I flick through my Mum's magazines. Depressingly shallow, it really is.

In an episode of Ugly Betty I saw, she had an idea for a magazine about inspirational women, to motivate women to be something more, and it would be all feminist and awesome, and I was like, "Wow, that's actually something good." About twenty minutes later, she suddenly "converted" to fashion.
I just read bout guitars and computer games, gender focused magazines are full of crap.
Even news papers are going down hill.

I DON'T CARE IF POSH SPICE IS TIRED I WANT TO READ ABOUT THE GUY RUNNING AROUND WITH A GUN.
Quote by sashki
Every magazine is like that. Ever seen a guitar magazine? Advert on EVERY SINGLE page. I've actually counted the pages: in Guitar World, there's more ads than content.

Specialized content. Music-related companies will be more likely to buy advertisment space in Guitar World than Cosmopolitan because readers of Guitar World will be more likely to buy music-related stuff.

Ad space cost more than a mainstream magazine or newspaper, but you're pretty sure to reach your targets like that.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by 剣 斧 血
I just read bout guitars and computer games, gender focused magazines are full of crap.
Even news papers are going down hill.

I DON'T CARE IF POSH SPICE IS TIRED I WANT TO READ ABOUT THE GUY RUNNING AROUND WITH A GUN.

Quote by Anthony1991
Women can read?

Only simple things in massive letters, like "CHERYL COLE IS FAT", on a page full of pictures showing Cheryl Cole not being fat.
I imagine it's because that's what sells. If there was demand for articles about news and politics, they'd get added.

But it's not like they need to add that stuff. There's other magazines that cover those topics.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
75% of the women I know shop for "fun". Which I interpret as " I spend money for fun". Having this said it doesn't surprise me that womens magazines default on the stereotypical women (75%) and placate this "I shop for fun" mentality. Stereotypical men (which I cant stand... Sleep with anything that walks, defines himself through male competition, lives for beer TV man) are no better than stereotypical women because they are all making this a Wal-Mart world... Cookie cutter fashions, designs, music, food, political views and really whole personalities... Why? To sell us more mass produced low cost crap and keep the machine going... It'd be reawy reawy compwicated if we all had a different thought on a subject... and expensive for manufactureres too!! /rant lol
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by SFosterS
75% of the women I know shop for "fun". Which I interpret as " I spend money for fun". Having this said it doesn't surprise me that womens magazines default on the stereotypical women (75%) and placate this "I shop for fun" mentality. Stereotypical men (which I cant stand... Sleep with anything that walks, defines himself through male competition, lives for beer TV man) are no better than stereotypical women because they are all making this a Wal-Mart world... Cookie cutter fashions, designs, music, food, political views and really whole personalities... Why? To sell us more mass produced low cost crap and keep the machine going... It'd be reawy reawy compwicated if we all had a different thought on a subject... and expensive for manufactureres too!! /rant lol

75% of women you know aren't 75% of all women. 90% of all women I know hate shopping, therefore 90% of all women across the world hate shopping...
Quote by SFosterS

We don't see the same women's magazine, because the items featured in the magazines I know are expensive.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
75% of women you know aren't 75% of all women. 90% of all women I know hate shopping, therefore 90% of all women across the world hate shopping...

Did I say that they were all women???????? LOL

R-E-A-D before you write!!!!!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by sashki

That's why I don't buy Guitar World. I used to subscribe, but that was for the tabs and Vic Juris' column. They don't tab anything I want to learn to play, and Vic Juris' column got cancelled.

I don't even buy guitar magazines anymore. Occasionally I'll get Guitar Techniques if I can afford it (damn tariffs), but I just don't care about most of the stuff in most guitar magazines.
Quote by SFosterS

Holy shit that was patronizing. You were clearly generalizing, dude.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
It's for advertising. If you are selling a womans magazine, the advertiser needs to know who's reading the magazine so it's the right magazine. Therefore you have to choose a target audience, and stick to it. You might think "Well if there's a wider target audience, there's more advertising chance", well there's not. If you have a weekly magazine it'll be small and cheap. The amount of content is literally crammed in a long with advertising. Therefore if you have a wider target audience, you have less content per audience which means people are paying more for less.

For example, lads like cars, women, tv, games, beer, sex, excercise, music, violence, gore, funnies, girl-next-door girls, food, etc.

How much of that can you fit in a magazine, and how can you tell who's going to read it? Well, the advertiser won't take the risk.

It's all about advertising. Therefore, than girl is stupid for not doing a little research first.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Women usually like stuff about 'celebrity gossip' and fashion and all that.

edit: Or at least stupid ones, although to be fair if you're gonna read anything read new scientist or something with some kind of substance. Only idiots buy 'lads mags' too
Also, because the intelligent stuff has its own magazine. Nuts and Cosmo are the stuff the Economist and New Scientist didn't want.
Because fuck magazines?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
All the magazines I buy are filled with pictures of naked 80 year olds, dunno what you kids are reading

Quote by SFosterS

Yes, you said that women's magazines cater to 75% of women, a figure you invented from your own circle of friends.

It would be a pretty stupid magazine if it only catered to you and your friends. Don't be such a patronising brat.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes, you said that women's magazines cater to 75% of women, a figure you invented from your own circle of friends.

It would be a pretty stupid magazine if it only catered to you and your friends. Don't be such a patronising brat.

It clearly is aimed at all those kinds of people across the country , not just his friends.
Quote by Zoot Allures
It clearly is aimed at all those kinds of people across the country , not just his friends.

Yes but 75% of his female friends - which could be 3 out of 4 for all we know - is hardly representative enough to suggest the entire female population acts in the same way.

Hence why cosmo doesn't actually sell in the millions.
I say we start boycotting sellout celebrities and spreading a message that in reality no one really cares how bad their split up was, or how they're depressed about their size, more people in the world have bigger problems. Spread the message.
Quote by 剣 斧 血
I say we start boycotting sellout celebrities and spreading a message that in reality no one really cares how bad their split up was, or how they're depressed about their size, more people in the world have bigger problems. Spread the message.

The problem with that idea is that, for some unfathomable reason, people DO care. Lots of them.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by 剣 斧 血

Sure. All the people who didn't buy them before because they didn't care, will continue not buying them. And the people who do care, will ignore the boycott and continue buying.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Ah yes but, they targeted the market and made them interested in clelebrities so that would make it feasibly possible to go the other way, if we could really be bothered (which I doubt the pit will be) we could achieve it after a lot of work.