Here goes...

I'm looking to upgrade my DAW. Not only will I be using it for school but also recording projects and working on my resume. That being said, I don't have enough to splurge on a MacPro (I hate Mac, but they are the industry standard :/) so I've been researching what to do.

Ideally I would build my own PC on new egg but I'm not sure I have the budget for that either. I could probably spend about $800 on the computer itself, not including upgrades.

Since I am nowhere close to making super professional recordings my plan is to build my studio and then just swap out computers in a few years.

Do you think it would be worth it to buy a factory from say, Best Buy, and upgrade it vs having one custom built? I'll of course be using some sort of firewire interface and recording to Reaper for starters and move up as I progress.

I have plenty of other computers so this one will be dedicated only to recording. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
if you build it your self you could build a very good pc for recording for 800
Quote by supersac
if you build it your self you could build a very good pc for recording for 800

this. just so you know btw, DAW refers to the actual program (reaper, cubase, protools) and not the computer being used. just saying so that you dont confuse people. reaper and a firewire interface should be able to get some good quality
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
These days, any off-the-shelf system will do just fine. We recorded our album on a Celeron 1.7ghz machine with 512MB RAM. Each song was up to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio.

We just bought at Costco an Acer Aspire. It is 2.8Ghz (single core), 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, and came with Win7, a multi-DVD burner and a 20" LCD monitor... for $599. It beats the living crap out of my other system.

Use the extra money to get yourself a decent interface, and you're good to go!

And don't get all "Mac is the industry standard"... Frankly, they're not worth the extra money. Oh, sure, they might be marginally better systems, but for twice the price, they're nowhere near twice the system. In the end, as long as you can get done what you need to get done, nobody gives a flying monkey about whether it was done on a Mac or a PC.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
that pc you bought was overpriced
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Link me to a better deal.... Remember, mine included a 20" LCD monitor.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

i dont see the logic in that for me man i would have went for a better proccesor and a smaller screen
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
It does what I want it to do. I'm not a gamer. I'll take the larger screen and the perfectly fine processor.

For recording purposes, the processor is *plenty* fast enough. As I said, it has more than the 1.7Ghz Celeron that we used to do our album with, which itself was perfectly fine.

For my studio, I personally use two monitors - a 23" and a 20" (one screen has my mixer and effects and transport bar, the other has my editing/arranging window). I might be able to imagine suffering with a single 20" monitor, but a single 18" monitor or something is *really* pushing it.

CT

Quote by hans the lefty
that pc you bought was overpriced

Of course it was, it was a pre-built store bought PC. If cost efficiency floats your boat, you're only going to get a good deal if you build it yourself.
A nice processor is important only if you use effects on your tracks, and those effects are amp simulators, MIDI processors (those bastards are CPU-hungry) and drum programs. If you are mic-ing everything, then 1,6 GHz is sufficient enough.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Of course it was, it was a pre-built store bought PC. If cost efficiency floats your boat, you're only going to get a good deal if you build it yourself.

That used to be true. I used to build my own. Now, here's the breakdown:

Half-decent MB: $90
Windows 7 $110
20" LCD monitor $150
Case $30
4GB RAM $125
1TB HD $120
Multi DVD RW - $40
Power supply $25
Keyboard, mouse $20
USB/card-reader bay: $20
Total = $730

compared to $599.... I can't build that machine for that price - not even close. Not from new parts anyways.

CT

Quote by GisleAune
A nice processor is important only if you use effects on your tracks,

Exactly. Especially reverbs. I don't go overboard, but I use probably an average amount.

Quote by GisleAune

MIDI processors (those bastards are CPU-hungry) and drum programs.

Actually, those are a far greater draw on your RAM than your CPU.

CT