I've been using Elixirs and they're pretty good but I want to try some cheaper alternatives. I'm looking at the Ernie Ball coated slinkys, D'Addario EXP, and GHS coated boomers.

Are any of those good?
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Ernie balls feels nice but they wear out kinda quickly. I would recommend ghs personally.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
i've tried the ernie ball ones, didnt like them at all. they just felt too slippery for me, but the d'addario ones are more like elixirs.

i just prefer the real deal though, call me a snob, but my obscenely sweaty hands rust most strings within days. elixirs only last me about a month, and im being really serious here. i spend so much on strings, its unreal, but if i didnt, i'd sound awful, haha.
Ernie Ball coated are pretty good. Never tried the others.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Ernie Balls really aren't that great, because they "die" quickly. I ditched them for Pyramids, which IMO are better sounding and easier to bend. I do hear some good stuff about Elixirs, but I've never used them.

Pyramid Picks are nice too...

I always get music shops to throw in as many strings as I can when I buy stuff, so I keep string costs down. Although, next time I need them to throw in a capo as well. Unfortunately, the last shop I bought from didn't sell capos
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by philipk
is it really hard to pay a couple of bucks more for strings?

It is when your hands are like acid to strings and have to buy many sets
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Quote by hellraiserharry
i use ghs now ernie ball rusts too quickly

If strings rust that quickly, you're probably doing something to make them die more quickly. Mine can last ages, although they lose tone eventually.

If you wash your hands before and after play and wipe down the strings and neck before and after, your strings will last a lot longer. I've personally never had strings rust on me before. It could have to do with the atmosphere, as well. Keep it in a case when you're not playing, assuming you guys don't all already do this
Normal ernie balls last me a week before you can feel and see them losing color and rusting. Elixirs last me a month+ and are still fine and dont show any rust or tonal loss, and if there is a loss it isn't worth changing the strings over just yet. I love elixirs! .11-.49 ftw.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I use the D'Addario EXP and they are awesome, sound great, feel great, play great and they last a a month or more with minimal upkeep and still sound good.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
A box of 3 sets of D'Addario regular XLs usually last me about 3 months.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I've heard Ernie Ball and D'Addario coated don't last as long as Elixirs. Can anyone confirm that or give more info on those brands?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
i really like the elixirs on my ibanez S470 electric (10-42). They stretch in easy, keep tune well, and last me like 1.5-2 months (just by putting it back in the case after use, no wiping).

Things i don't like about them, they get all fuzzy, it doesn't effect anything, it just confuses me how metal gets fuzzy. And if my trem isn't set up perfectly they break super easy.

So if i set up my guitar properly, put it back in it's case after use these strings usually last me a long time.

But i've never tried the other ones, and actually wanna try the EXPs. I didn't even know ernie ball had coated strings.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
D'Addario EXP's are about the best coated string on the market right now, I've tried em all, and I've never been as impressed with any of them as I have been with the EXP's. They feel like uncoated strings, yet last as long as a coated string, they even sound like an uncoated string.

D'Addario EXP, best coated strings ever, period.
ernie balls are terrible i used them for years starting out. they pretty much come corroded and feel like shit, their packaging isnt even airtight. then i started to learn theres alot of different gear you can get and heard about daddario. love them. i have the EXP set on my sg right now, and they will last a long while, and they dont feel like theyre coated at all. my only advice is, dont try to do a pickup mod while you have (any) these strings on, because all the de tuning will degrade them regardless of coating or not. :p

choose daddario.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by julzius
Things i don't like about them, they get all fuzzy, it doesn't effect anything, it just confuses me how metal gets fuzzy.

I didn't even know ernie ball had coated strings.

If you didnt know,the strings get fuzzy cuz they have a plastic like coating and when it rubs against the frets or your pick it wears away and freys, happend to mine. Ernie ball coated strings are kinda new only been out for a year or 2 i believe...

I have elixirs on my electric for almost a year now, they sound really dull now I plan to change them tomorrow.i may try the ernie ball coated ones, but i wanna go back to my slinkies for awhile, i like em.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112
If you didnt know,the strings get fuzzy cuz they have a plastic like coating and when it rubs against the frets or your pick it wears away and freys, happend to mine. Ernie ball coated strings are kinda new only been out for a year or 2 i believe...

I have elixirs on my electric for almost a year now, they sound really dull now I plan to change them tomorrow.i may try the ernie ball coated ones, but i wanna go back to my slinkies for awhile, i like em.

just when i though nano meant 'not seen by the naked eye'. I guess i was wrong.
But it all makes sense now.

And i don't think any kind of strings will last you a year... As much as my dad brags on that he's had a set of strings on for like 7 years hahaha.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
just when i though nano meant 'not seen by the naked eye'. I guess i was wrong.
But it all makes sense now.

And i don't think any kind of strings will last you a year... As much as my dad brags on that he's had a set of strings on for like 7 years hahaha.

Toodles!

I played an old Ventura Acoustic guitar that had the same set of strings on them since it was put away in the attic 30 years ago, still sounded better than my guitar.

Strings will last you a long time, now will they sound good after several months, nope, but they will last if you take care of them, just like anything else.
Right now I'm experimenting with coated strings, I've got Cleartone coated strings on my Iceman, Ernie Ball titaniums on my SG, D'Addarios on my Epi SG, Elixir Nanowebs (got some polywebs too) on my SE.

Elixirs - slick and easy to play, feels like a new set of strings every time, good tone
Ernie Balls - Great tone, a little less playability
Cleartone - haven't really play it alot but its alot brighter than what im used too
D'Addarios - Got the same feel as the regular string but they coated, a plus

I'm putting some GHS coated boomers on my tele so I'll let you know how that turns out.
Seems like all of them have decent enough tone for me but how long do they last? That's probably a bigger concern to me than how they sound
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
I've heard Ernie Ball and D'Addario coated don't last as long as Elixirs. Can anyone confirm that or give more info on those brands?

I've tried D'Addario and Elixirs - Elixirs last longer but I cant remember how much longer (it was about 3 years ago I tried the D'Addarios).
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
The problem with Elixirs is that when you try them once everything else just feels inferior.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
The problem with Elixirs is that when you try them once everything else just feels inferior.

I agree, but the Ernie Balls are also very good and cheaper, I'll have to try them on everything to figure out what sounds best with what but I'm very satisfied
Quote by RivercrestColts
Right now I'm experimenting with coated strings, I've got Cleartone coated strings on my Iceman, Ernie Ball titaniums on my SG, D'Addarios on my Epi SG, Elixir Nanowebs (got some polywebs too) on my SE.

Elixirs - slick and easy to play, feels like a new set of strings every time, good tone
Ernie Balls - Great tone, a little less playability
Cleartone - haven't really play it alot but its alot brighter than what im used too
D'Addarios - Got the same feel as the regular string but they coated, a plus

I'm putting some GHS coated boomers on my tele so I'll let you know how that turns out.

Any update on how long those strings lasted?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
I actually really like cleartones. They are indeed bright. I like how their tone stays consistent though. It means you can set your tone nicely and keep it realy like that
Right now every one has lasted very well, especially the Ernie Balls, I've given them a beating and they are still goin strong (plus I love to play the SG). I put them on July the 16th or 17th. The Elixirs are the best but money wise right now is the Ernies.

Just strung up the tele with the GHS so gotta get em broke in and ill post back. I'll "try" to play the Iceman, and the Epi SG which feels odd compared to the Gibby. The GHS coated boomers really surprised me though, with only a few minutes of play time.

Thrasher