Hey I was wondering that since I'm off to uni I won't be able to take all my gear with me, but it hit me. Can I play my guitar/bass into my laptop? Is there a way I can go from the 6.5mm jack socket on my ax to my USB port or something? And is there software available for it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum subcat but I'm really intrigued.....search engines haven't provided anything apart from tuners......

Thanks in advance!
If your computer has slots for 1/8th heads then you're all set. Go to a computer store or a music store and ask for a wire with two convertible 1/4th heads. Plug the 1/8th end into the line in slot and the 1/4th either into your guitar or pedal* (if your pedal has a preamp then I don't think you need to use an amplifier). The guitar's raw signal doesn't sound too good so I recommend using a pedal instead, or if your amp has a line out feature that might work also. If you enable the "Line in" feature in the Volume Control then any audio program will be enough to record. I have done this before and even though the distortion sounds rough even at a low overdrive value, the clean tone is great and all of the effects record perfectly. Of course none of this applies if your laptop doesn't have a compatible slot.

EDIT: I didn't read the part that said this was for university, so in that case you will probably not have an amplifier handy.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at Jul 8, 2010,
Dunno about USB, but you can just take an audio cable, connect 1 end to PC input( usually the microphone hole ) and the other end to an effects pedal or to guitar. You'll have to enable monitoring in the volume section to actually hear it. You also need a good sound card, if you use a laptop, I would consider buying an external sound card. But it can still sound like crap. Were I you, I'd buy a portable small amp.
No no no. You do not want to plug your guitar directly into your line in. You need an interface, and yes - most are USB (or FireWire).

Google for "USB guitar interface" and you'll find what you're looking for.

There's plenty of software available. A good starting point is AmpliTube: http://www.ikmultimedia.com
I just bought one yesterday at guitar center, basically just a 1/4 input at one end, and a USB input at the other. Not exactly the best sound quality, but it will work alright for college. That's what I'm planning on doing when i go to college in September.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Thanks for the replies....I've checked out the Stealthplug by IK Multimedia. Any of you have one already? Even their iPhone app looks good!!
I'd save up and buy an iAXE. My cousin used to have one and it played decently. I wouldn't use it on a stage (probably because its usb only if I remember right..) but just for fooling around on in your dorm room or recording something, it'd be nice. It comes with a disc with a bunch of different amps and effects on it, and they didnt sound bad at all.

I'm not even sure if they make them anymore though, I haven't seen one in a pretty long time.
---------------------------
Here have a waffle!
(>^_^)>#
Quote by deathbycontrol
I'd save up and buy an iAXE. My cousin used to have one and it played decently. I wouldn't use it on a stage (probably because its usb only if I remember right..) but just for fooling around on in your dorm room or recording something, it'd be nice. It comes with a disc with a bunch of different amps and effects on it, and they didnt sound bad at all.

I'm not even sure if they make them anymore though, I haven't seen one in a pretty long time.

Yeah it's all good but I need some sort of "USB adapter" if you like for a real instrument. I'm not even sure whether I'll take my bass or my 6-string, so versatility is pretty key.