Ok, so about a week ago my amp completely shut off and wouldn't go back on. It blew several fuses and I finally took it to a tech to get it checked out. He said that the power transformer has shorted and it would need replacing. I contacted the guy who built my amp and he's shipphing me a new PT for only $55. I asked the tech how much would he charge to install it and he said $80!

Isn't that a little steep considering I'm bringing him the part and all he is doing is putting it in? I guess my real question is, Would I be able to install it myself or is this install really worth $80 and should be done by a a pro?

Thanks guys.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I don't really know of any other amp techs in my area, I just want to know if $80 is right for the job to begin with, and if not then I'll probably try to do it myself.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
the tech down here at my local place charges 75$ per hour lol but i have a warranty through them for a few years so i dont pay that, BUT...they charge that high because most likely you wont find another person who can do it, so that gives him a chance to charge insane prices.
its an hourly rate. usually 50-80 is deece.
transformer installs are serious business.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yeah, that's about right. You're getting a good deal on the PT, so I wouldn't complain. He could have charged a lot more for that.
Ok thanks guys, I just wanted to know he wasn't ripping me off.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I'd do it for $45 but the drive wouldn't be worth it. Pity I'm not closer.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
$80 doesn’t seem like much for a major amp repair. Just taking some amps apart, doing a little soldering, re-assembling, and then testing can easily eat up almost two hours.
Nothing is close to anything in Canada. It's a vast non-Euclidean wasteland.
Quote by Roc8995
Nothing is close to anything in Canada. It's a vast non-Euclidean wasteland.

Yeah, except in high populated areas everything is at least an hour or two apart, unless you count the piece of shit towns that nobody cares about.

^ I've actually never had a Beaver Tail and I hate real maple syrup. Aunt Jemima is the shit.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Yeah, except in high populated areas everything is at least an hour or two apart, unless you count the piece of shit towns that nobody cares about.

Actually, here I have everything I want at like a 15 minutes
Montreal is such a musician-friendly city, there are guitar stores everywhere and a bunch of tech too
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ I've actually never had a Beaver Tail…

Yeah, well, you’ll get some when you’re older.
^^ ... That's because you're in Montreal - a populated area.

^ The dessert, moron. I'm 27 and happily married - had plenty of the other kind already.

^ Prague, man. There are gorgeous women there who practically give it away.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

^ I've actually never had a Beaver Tail and I hate real maple syrup. Aunt Jemima is the shit.

Ew I hate Jemima with a passion, she only has like one decent flavour. My family doesn't buy Maple Syrup but I like it way better..

Beaver/Whale tails are amazing, they sell them at the Folk Festival but that's the only place I've seen them.

but my god is that off topic.

$55 for a transformer is pretty good afaik