Page 1 of 2
My cousin has been my best friend forever. We've done everything together... but the day we first smoked together in 10th grade, everything went all downhill. it started slow. He smoked only on weekend nights. His senior year he smoked every day. He even got comfortable driving and talking to his parents while he was high.

Now he smokes every day/night. Now he sells it. I never see him anymore. He's always gone. Never returns his calls. every time I do talk to him all he talks about is people owing him money, or what kind of weed he has, or how high he is. It's become a 24/7 lifestyle.

Every once in a while wouldn't bother me, but this is ridiculous. I always wanted him to be my best man when i get married, now i don't want him to be a groomsman, because I don't want someone to be absolutley stoned while giving the toast.

I literally begged him to stop but all he said was, "I can't, too many people owe me money man." WTF?

He has no real job, he pays NO bills, he drives around because he feels like it, and now he's dropping college courses to have more time to sell dope. WTF?! He's gonna end up in jail or in serious danger.

He needs an intervention BAD. But he's got a BAD temper. And he likes to deny EVERYTHING. i need a plan... any suggestions?
Quote by cpt_pimp
my last fail was breaking up with my gf.

that's going to suck for a while

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

butt rape.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Who cares if he's smoking - it's not something that requires an intervention.

Now selling the stuff, that's a really bad habit and will get him in trouble - I would definitely keep advocating him to stop that. Just make sure you keep mentioning how you see people in the newspaper getting locked up for it everyday.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Call the cops on him.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Quote by SG_dave
tell parents?
go from there.

his parents have already caught him 3 times! and all they said was, "well you don't need to do that. It's not nice." a smack on his right hand so he turned around and smoked with his left.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

umm, it's weed not crack.

Selling it and dropping out is stupid. Just tell him that. Smoking everyday has no real impact on your life unless you sit on your ass when high. I can enjoy myself everyday and do my normal activities when high. I don't sell though, and I am in school, so that's different.

Tell him to smarten up, he'll figure it out.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
umm, it's weed not crack.

Selling it and dropping out is stupid. Just tell him that. Smoking everyday has no real impact on your life unless you sit on your ass when high. I can enjoy myself everyday and do my normal activities when high. I don't sell though, and I am in school, so that's different.

Tell him to smarten up, he'll figure it out.

You can get a mental addiction. It's obvious this guy needs help.
Same thing happened to me with one of my friends. It sucks but just accept it once they are that deep into it they are not gonna change.
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
like I said, smoking a few times wouldnt bother me... but he's starting to tell me how much he drinks now, and how he's tried coke and selling... its worse than my words appear.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Smoking all day should not bother you, it's his body and it's not doing anybody else any harm.

Other hard drugs can impair you and you can cause a physical threat to others, as well as lose your mind. Those are not cool.

Selling is dumb.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Just tell him. Get stoned with him and be like "Dude, remember back in the day when we used chill all the time? What happened dude? You gotta stop dealing and shit dude."

Ya know? I mean, that's what I'd do.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Basically, you just show up with a gun and run around yelling intervention while making whooping noises. You should probably be smoking at the time too, then you and some friends just berate him for a while
my best friend went the same way,
Spent many years doing lads things.
Now he's still a bit a drug addict, we don't talk.
He actually got admitted into a psych thingy.
Truth is though, he's a dick, and I have new friends now.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by pak1351
Basically, you just show up with a gun and run around yelling intervention while making whooping noises. You should probably be smoking at the time too, then you and some friends just berate him for a while

Oh my god yes!
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Quote by metaldud536

I agree, that's just ridiculous.

Although personally I'd never try to "intervene" in someone else's life. He's not gonna change unless he wants to, and there's nothing you can say to make him do so.
Last edited by KeepOnRotting at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by metaldud536

Theres really no such thing as a "mental" addiction. People just cant admit that they dont want to stop doing things they enjoy, so they call it an addiction. They CAN stop, they wont go through withdrawals (especially over weed), they just dont have a reason worth stopping for.

I'm not saying the guy dosent need help, though. Some people just have to be cock-blocked before they will stop enjoying themselves(too much).
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by doomded
Theres really no such thing as a "mental" addiction. People just cant admit that they dont want to stop doing things they enjoy, so they call it an addiction. They CAN stop, they wont go through withdrawals (especially over weed), they just dont have a reason worth stopping for.

I'm not saying the guy dosent need help, though. Some people just have to be cock-blocked before they will stop enjoying themselves.

You're completely wrong. Cocaine addiction is purely psychological, try and tell me that isn't real.
While there's nothing wrong with smoking everyday I think your cousin is a bit of a dumb ass.
I don't know what to tell you about this since I was never in that situation.
Eventually he's gonna get himself killed with dealing and shit.
Maybe you can call the police on him, and tell them that you want to remain unanimous.
He'll go to jail for a while, and hopefully fix his shit up.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
While there's nothing wrong with smoking everyday I think your cousin is a bit of a dumb ass.
I don't know what to tell you about this since I was never in that situation.
Eventually he's gonna get himself killed with dealing and shit.
Maybe you can call the police on him, and tell them that you want to remain unanimous.
He'll go to jail for a while, and hopefully fix his shit up.

Unanimous.
Quote by pak1351

I love you.
Quote by doomded

maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by KeepOnRotting
You're completely wrong. Cocaine addiction is purely psychological, try and tell me that isn't real.

Same with heroin addiction.
Most of that is mental.
I don't think you can get addicted to weed though.
I've never seen anyone developing an addiction to pot.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
This thread is hilarious. TS, you really don't know that many people do you... a LOT of people are like this. Including a lot of my friends. Here's the deal. He doesn't need an intervention. He needs a swift kick in the balls and to get a job to contribute to society (although he is a little already...) but really, an intervention is laughable. Tons of people drive and talk to their parents/teachers/whatever high. You are making the weed out to be a big deal when really the guy is just being a douche.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Most of that is mental.

Technically speaking, you can become addicted to anything that gives you some enjoyment or pleasure. And the person in question in this thread seems to have that personality. Maybe he's not addicted to the pot, but he's certainly addicted to the rush he gets from dealing.

Though pot addictions seem relatively rare, they can still happen, because your dopamine receptors (pretty sure) still get stimulated by the rush from the pot.

That said, this guy needs help in some way. But that seems unanimous in the thread. Just talk to people close to him and get them on board with a plan to wean him off the behavior.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Most of that is mental.

Then you either haven't looked real hard or refuse to see an addiction for what it is a lot of the time.
As far as the debate over addiction....

I don't know about cocaine, but I'm guessing that's a physical addiction. Heroin is most DEFINITELY a physical addiction; your body becomes dependent on it. Weed, however, isn't a physical addiction. A "psychological addiction" is really just another word for habit. That's all that it is; he's made a habit of doing it.
Quote by herby190
As far as the debate over addiction....

I don't know about cocaine, but I'm guessing that's a physical addiction. Heroin is most DEFINITELY a physical addiction; your body becomes dependent on it. Weed, however, isn't a physical addiction. A "psychological addiction" is really just another word for habit. That's all that it is; he's made a habit of doing it.

Research it. It's psychological.
Quote by doomded
Theres really no such thing as a "mental" addiction.

Lol, bullshit.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Yeah, I quit smoking pot. It kind of sucks because my dad made me move into my grandparents' because I wouldn't stop, which is 300 miles or so away from where I was going to HS, so all the friends I've made here smoke.

Couple of years later, me stopping was mostly thanks to my gf getting pregnant (I didn't stop right away, I came to realize on my own that I should.) I didn't want her to smoke at all, I didn't want to smoke anything at all anymore, but honestly, when you're around it, it's about impossible to stop. It becomes "addiction by association" or something. Even if I tell myself no, it's like watching a movie I can't stop, when I go to the atm, then go and pick up a sack, then smoke it in a hurry to get rid of it because I felt bad about getting another sack.

So we've ended up staying with each other or family about all the time, because we haven't made any non-smoking friends just yet. I'm hoping a few live gigs will change that, because right now I have nothing I want to do to get out and meet anyone new.

Honestly, though, I feel a lot better since I've stopped. And I can afford more shit.

Blah blah blah, moral is, he'll have to decide for himself. I got sick of being dumb and hazy and no one was able to tell me but myself.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by derekgray at Jul 8, 2010,
Look... he's not turning into some kind of monster. He's just being a dick.
Just kick him in the bollocks and tell him.
Check out my fitness blog here
From what I've read/heard people generally need to have consequences before they decide to start to deal with any addiction. So you gotta use lines like "I can't hang around you as long as you're smoking" and his parents seem like they're almost supporting an addiction. So they have to use lines like "We can't be around you/let you stay here until you get some help".
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Last edited by greatone_12 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Most of that is mental.

Do you realize how painful it is to stop heroin for even a day after using it regularly? thats called a psychical addiction

Quote by KeepOnRotting
Research it. It's psychological.

an aching sore body caused by a withdrawal (what heroin users experience) is definitely physical
Last edited by Littleangus44 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Technically speaking, you can become addicted to anything that gives you some enjoyment or pleasure. And the person in question in this thread seems to have that personality. Maybe he's not addicted to the pot, but he's certainly addicted to the rush he gets from dealing.

Though pot addictions seem relatively rare, they can still happen, because your dopamine receptors (pretty sure) still get stimulated by the rush from the pot.

That said, this guy needs help in some way. But that seems unanimous in the thread. Just talk to people close to him and get them on board with a plan to wean him off the behavior.

My brother was addicted to Weed big time, he has been to hospital plenty of times and once had a fit and bit through his cheek that doctors attributed to overdosing on THC, I know that sounds ludicrous but he went weeks on end being constantly high, he wouldnt be able to talk, he'd hit from the bong before bed, when he got up, and keep doing that for the day. Eventually he copped the **** on and is finally gonna finish school this year after getting kicked out of two.

Basically addiction to weed DOES exist and it can become a huge problem depending on the person.
BROCCOLIS
I ated them all.
Quote by Littleangus44
an aching sore body caused by a withdrawal (what heroin users experience) is definitely physical

He's talking about cocaine, not heroin.
Quote by Littleangus44
He was referencing Cocaine addiction when he said that; upon looking it up, it appears that he's actually right... I always assumed Cocaine was a physical addiction, but it appears to be psychological.
Hey man, I just wanted to give you my support. A lot of people seem to think this isn't a big deal, I guess they "read stuff about weed" or something...

I've had (and am still having) similar experiences with some people in my life.

In my opinion you can get addicted to weed, maybe not in the purest technical sense, but I have known people with very unhealthy relationships with weed.
It gets to the point where they don't have anything close to a decent life and you feel like you've lost the person.

For someone on the outside it sure doesn't look as dramatic as someone who has trouble with more "serious" drugs, but I think they would see it differently if it happened to someone they cared for, to actually witness someone's whole personality disappear.

As for what you could do, I honestly don't know mate. It's pretty tough, because as some people pointed out he is mostly harming himself and I guess he denies that he has a problem?

What I've thought a lot about, but never actually came around to doing, was to gather all the people who matter to him, to confront him once, to make him see how much it hurt us to see him do this to himself...

But then again, most people don't care much about others in that way...
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by Kroach

In my opinion you can get addicted to weed, maybe not in the purest technical sense, but I have known people with very unhealthy relationships with weed.
It gets to the point where they don't have anything close to a decent life and you feel like you've lost the person.

For someone on the outside it sure doesn't look as dramatic as someone who has trouble with more "serious" drugs, but I think they would see it differently if it happened to someone they cared for, to actually witness someone's whole personality disappear.

This is EXACTLY how I feel
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Page 1 of 2