So, my frieds who have a band have asked me to play instead one of their guitarists on tuesday, because he has to work or whatever. Im actually quite flatered, since there is quite the abundance of guitarists in out friend circle, but still. They are a punk band and play mostly originals, and while their songs are fairly simple, i only know hot to play one. I only know the others by ear, but i gues thats better than learning them from scratch... Do you think i should do it? Its a pretty important gig, and they have been schedualed to play for a long time now, and it would suck if they had to pull out now. Also, they have another guitarist so minor mistakes wouldnt really stand out as much i gues... Oh, and im filling in for the rhytm guitarist, since they dont have any leads anyway.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Go for it. Just spend a few days with the other guitarist and nail the stuff. I think it's a pretty easy choice, help a brother out ja know :P
Its totally doable. My band fell into a gig (he promoter NEEDED a band) with only 4 days to rehearse after we had formed. So I know from experience that learning a punk set list is totally doable in the amount of time you have.
no sir away a papaya war is on
It depends on the simplicity of the songs really. Recently I was offered a similar opportunity, to stand in for an originals band in 3-4 days as their guitarist wasn't able to make it. However I turned down the opportunity because the band's arrangements were pretty complex, and they could easily accomodate to the set without a guitarist anyway. However, if I had a week or so to prepare I'd would have stepped in. So just know your limitations and be better safe than sorry, because the last thing you want is to screw up someone else's set while ruining your own reputation.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
well we just had a practice yesterday, and they only had to teach me two songs, ince i managed to figure the rest out from their recordings. It pretty much went without any problems, so im actually looking forward to the gig
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.