Hello all,

First off, I play a Schecter Stiletto Elite-5. I've been making an effort to increase my playing speed (so that I can play Dream Theater and achieve that life goal!) and recently I've begun to wish my strings were tighter. I feel like the looseness slows down my speed...is this just a string thing, or does getting tighter strings mean adjusting my bass? For as long as I've played, I'm pretty terrible about bass engineering.
All your bass are belong to me <3
Quote by Spaz91
Less/more tension will mean you have to adjust the truss rod. Its a pain in the ass to do and can go horribly wrong.

Yarrrrg. Thanks for the response. TBH, I'm not even sure if increasing string tension would do anything for my playing speed; it's just a hunch.
All your bass are belong to me <3
don't be discouraged about adjusting your truss rod. Just follow instructions (google is your friend) and make tiny adjustments.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by AllYourBass
Yarrrrg. Thanks for the response. TBH, I'm not even sure if increasing string tension would do anything for my playing speed; it's just a hunch.

It will help, your fingers will 'slide' across the strings easier. Just try comparing playing at the neck and playing at the bridge.

I wasn't trying to discourage you before, just telling you the facts. I have loads of practise because I try out new strings every time I need a new set but the truss rod is what stops your bass's neck getting damaged (or not as the case may be.)