I'm sure you guys probably get a lot of questions like this in R&R, but I didn't see anything recent so here goes.

I'm tired of recording with crappy VST's and a guitar-USB cable, so I'm looking for something to record that has decent quality. I've been considering the Line 6 GuitarPort XT or Pod Studio GX (both $99), but I don't know much about this type of equipment so there might be better alternatives out there. My budget is pretty much at $100, though I'll stretch it a little bit if I must. I would also like it to have the ability to record acoustic guitar/vocals as well, because I'll only have my acoustic for long stretches of time at college. What do you guys use or recommend?
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by L2112Lif
If you Really want something from Line6 (PodFarm is amazing... though) Get the one with two mic inputs. Look for the GuitarPort UX2 used.

Line 6 is just the only brand I'm familiar with because Pod Farm is supposedly amazing. I don't care about the brand as long as it works.

I only think I need one input cause I barely ever sing, and I'll only access to my acoustic or electric at one time. Any good one input recorders under $100? That Emu brand looks promising.
Quote by MightyOwned
If you plan on recording acoustic, you need two.

One on the sound hole, another at the bridge.

Oh, that's good to know. Like I said, I'm really new to this; my only equipment right now is a guitar-USB cable. I'll definitely look into that Emu one, and the Tascam one you mentioned in passing.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have a really crappy amp, thus the interest in Pod Farm.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by iro-bot31
Oh, that's good to know. Like I said, I'm really new to this; my only equipment right now is a guitar-USB cable. I'll definitely look into that Emu one, and the Tascam one you mentioned in passing.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have a really crappy amp, thus the interest in Pod Farm.

Although Guitar-USB cables are crap, you can actually get a decent sound out of one if you have a good amp sim, and you're willing to spend some time tweaking your tone with EQ and stuff. All the recordings on my profile are using a guitar-USB cable, since my GX broke and I was forced to return it.
Quote by MightyOwned
The Tascam is the one that I really did not recommend, simply because EMU has superior specs. Maybe not driver wise, though.

What operating system are you using? If it's Vista x64, or Windows 7, get the Tascam, and don't get the E-MU.

Can you use free VST amp sims instead of Pod Farm? Pod Farm is good, but free amp sims are just as good if not better then Pod Farm. If you use free amp sims, you can just plug right into the DI of the E-MU/Tascam (whatever you buy).

EDIT: I also realized I made a typo. When micing an acoustic, you need one mic on the soundhole/bridge, and another at the 12th fret on the neck. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I have Vista x64, probably should have mentioned that.
I've been using the Kuassa VST, which is decent enough. Any other ones to recommend?
Quote by iro-bot31
Yeah, I have Vista x64, probably should have mentioned that.
I've been using the Kuassa VST, which is decent enough. Any other ones to recommend?

SoloC by LePou plugins is good, as are most of his VSTs.
Quote by MightyOwned
I would exercise caution with E-MU and Vista x64. Buy it, and return it if it does not work. (you would then exchange for the Tascam, as again E-MU spec wise IMO is superior)

E-MU has working drivers for Vista x64, but some people are having troubles.

In my opinion, some of the best amp simulation makers are:

1. LePou- http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
2. AcmeBarGig- http://www.acmebargig.com/
3. Nick Crow- http://sites.google.com/site/nickcrowlab/
4. TSE- http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/

All free!

Those look great. I'm going to bed now, but I'll check them out more in the morning.

Thanks so much for your help, man. I really appreciate it.