Or merely an element of hip-hop? Akin to a bass line or something. Is there music that is just rap without being hip-hop?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Rap is the lyrics, the vocals itself. Strip away the beats from hip-hop and you've got rap.
That's my view on it anyway.

EDIT: I guess I didn't really answer the topic at all. :p
I would think that if there were no beats, and the only content in the song was rap, then it would qualify as it's own genre. But I dont' think there's really any stuff like that out there, or at least not enough of it for it to actually be counted as its own genre. I view it more as just an element of the overall picture, that being hip-hop.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 8, 2010,
Rap is a vocal style; hip-hop is a genre.

Now, a lot of what people consider "rap music" (as a genre) today isn't really hip-hop, but it's not like a distinction between "rap" and "hip-hop." I hope that made sense.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by fancypants1
Is rock, metal, and punk a genre?

Yes, but that's not the point. Rap is an element of hip-hop. It's not it's own style. It's a technique.
It's like saying that heavily distorted six string guitars drop tuned is a genre. It's not. It's merely a way of getting to a certain genre, if that makes sense.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Yes, but that's not the point. Rap is an element of hip-hop. It's not it's own style. It's a technique.
It's like saying that heavily distorted six string guitars drop tuned is a genre. It's not. It's merely a way of getting to a certain genre, if that makes sense.

Exactly. Saying rap is a genre is like saying yelling is a genre.
That was a much better way of putting it. Well done.
it's all coming back

Rap music is separate from hip hop music, yes.
But rapping is a technique used by both.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Rap is a vocal style, hence why things like rap-rock exist.

Hip-hop is a genre.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
well if metal-heads can consider "screamo" a genre, im pretty sure rap is aloud to be considered a genre :P
Rapping is a method of vocalization,hip-hop is a genre.
Anthony Kiedis uses rapping in many RHCP songs,they haven't got any hip hop elements though.
Same thing applies to screamo,screaming is used in punk,rock,alternative and metal.
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
well if metal-heads can consider "screamo" a genre, im pretty sure rap is aloud to be considered a genre :P

Except screamo is a specific genre with a specific sound. Also, most metalheads can't even stand screamo So I dunno what you're on about man.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by KlinikaNekros
Rapping is a method of vocalization,hip-hop is a genre.
Anthony Kiedis uses rapping in many RHCP songs,they haven't got any hip hop elements though.

Actually, Anthony was quite heavily influenced by hip hop music... just sayin...
Quote by pwnerer
Actually, Anthony was quite heavily influenced by hip hop music... just sayin...

Maybe so,but it didn't really influence RHCP.
Quote by pwnerer
Yes it did. That's why he raps a lot in the early years.

I won't say I've heard all of their songs because I haven't but their music is not hip-hop inspired,rapping isn't used solely in hip-hop.
hmmm

rapping is used mostly in hip-hop ---> Anthony listened to hip-hop ----> Anthony used rapping in his music

you really don't see how that shows that he was influenced by it?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by KlinikaNekros
I won't say I've heard all of their songs because I haven't but their music is not hip-hop inspired,rapping isn't used solely in hip-hop.

There music IS hip hop inspired. You know why? Because Anthony has said it himself in interviews.
A genre is not based on a vocal style but how music sounds or is played. Vocal styles like Screamo and Rap do not necessarily influence the way music is played.
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY

God, these forums are filled with idiots
It's a vocal style. Hip-Hop is the genre.

DonGedit: Just realized I parroted what just about everyone else in the thread has concluded.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Apr 7, 2012,
Jesus ppl, don't be so semantically challenged. Rap and hip-hop can be used interchangably to describe the same genre of music. Only reason you'd use one over the other depends on how white you wanna sound.

And, besides, the question was answered two years ago anyway.
Last edited by due 07 at Apr 7, 2012,