K so we all know that Dave Grohl is the greatest artist to ever live. But i need you help. On the song " Vile" that he did himself for some biography, Dave pretty much makes sounds that are godlike. Sounds i wanna tab. Only trouble is i have no idea what tuning he uses, if one of you fellow fans could help me it would be much appreciated. and yes Tab Talk did ****ing nothing.

the greatest song ever.

And of course, what was your favorite. Foo, nirvana, probots, QOTSA? Of course that is before you heard this song. This is your new favorite now.
what about them crooked vultures?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Meh.

Them Crooked Vultures is the best thing he's ever done, and that's only because John Paul Jones is a living legend.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Queens and TCV are the only projects I like him in. A little Nirvana too I guess.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
i agree with doodleface. in my opinion, them crooked vultures is the best thing dave has done.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Them Crooked Vultures are the best he's done. Nirvana was good, Joey's a better fit for QotSA, and Foo Fighters have always been meh. That's not to disrespect him, he's an awesome Bonham influenced drummer with a decent voice, I can't quite say he's the greatest musician of all time for that though.

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
^After seeing TCV live, I gotta say he is an immense bassist. At his age too, damn. Just damn.

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Grohl is awesome!
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
Quote by funkbass369
i agree with doodleface. in my opinion, them crooked vultures is the best thing dave has done.

I always thought Nirvana was awesome and Foo Fighters as well the problem is that I wouldnt say this is the best thing he has done is because this is a supergroup and not really the focus is on dave really
nirvana is the best band out of all of them, i mean cmon the melodies are just so catchy and amazing, the lyrics of kurt cobain were always a stand out.. Foo fighters i love too but i think F.F is like the little brother of nirvana, their music is brilliant specially they old stuff like There is nothing left to lose, but lets face it dave grohl was not always the best lyricist. Them crooked vultures are impressive too just nirvana was still the best out of all of them
I hate to say it, but Dave Grohl is massively over-rated. As a guitarist, he's nothing special, in fact his guitar playing is extremely basic. He basically hold his guitar low and holds down a few power chords and then hits the strings as hard as he can with his right hand.

He can't do solos, he can't play any interesting riffs....I don't get why people think he's any good on guitar.

And he's not that great a vocalist either.

Sure, he plays with heart, but he doesn't have much core musical ability or talent. He may be POPULAR, but POPULAR doesn't equal good musician.

I don't hate the guy, he is a cool guy and stuff, but a good singer and guitarist he is not!
Last edited by GuitarManNeil at Jul 15, 2010,
I feel he is the quintessential pop-rocker. And I mean that in the best possible way. I mean lets face it, his songs are pop songs, and they're very good pop songs. They just happen to have a hard-ish rock edge to them.

And I love Foo Fighters precisely because of that.

As far as his drumming goes, I can take it or leave it. I loved it on Songs For the Deaf and it's pretty good on Them Crooked Vultures but his work with Nirvana never stood out to me.
This isn't coincidence
there's no such
thing
Anything Dave does I like. He's a god. I admire him.

Nirvana. Foos. QOTSA. Probot. TCV. All great.
Favorite would be foo fighters though
-Gear-
Gibson Firebird Studio 2004 Cherry red
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Alpine White
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

Marshall Valvestate 30 watts
He's an awesome drummer for Queens'. Joey plays too fast :q

Stacked Actors, Walking a Line and the Caligula beat are some of his masterpieces IMO.
Quote by GuitarManNeil
I hate to say it, but Dave Grohl is massively over-rated. As a guitarist, he's nothing special, in fact his guitar playing is extremely basic. He basically hold his guitar low and holds down a few power chords and then hits the strings as hard as he can with his right hand.

He can't do solos, he can't play any interesting riffs....I don't get why people think he's any good on guitar.

And he's not that great a vocalist either.

Sure, he plays with heart, but he doesn't have much core musical ability or talent. He may be POPULAR, but POPULAR doesn't equal good musician.

I don't hate the guy, he is a cool guy and stuff, but a good singer and guitarist he is not!

I think "good guitarist" is a relative term. For me a good guitarist can be somebody who plays simple riffs but is able to reach people through their music. Technicallity =/= Musicallity.
I don't think Dave's overrated. What I like about him is he does so many things, yet they all sound different and have their own sound/feeling to them. Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures, Probot, etc. really sound nothing like each other. So I at least give the guy credit for that. As for not being able to do interesting riffs and things like that-I don't think so.

Probot had some interesting riffs, and he proved he can make non-pop sounding songs that are still good quality. Not only that considering such a mainstream, poppy rockstar, who was a part of the grunge movement can put out a metal album just as good as the majority of metal bands says a lot I think.

He's not a musical genius-and I don't think he's anything amazing. But he puts out a lot of solid material, and puts his heart into what he does. It's the later part why I think people like him so much.

As a side note-the guy has some major balls. Who the hell says no to Paul McCartney?
Quote by Eddy~
He's an awesome drummer for Queens'. Joey plays too fast :q
No, Joey just doesn't play well.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
With all do respect to Dave Grohl i think he is awesome. In my opinion anything he seems to do, just turns out to be amazing... like he is some god, meant to do it. I totally love Foo Fighters, they're probably one of my fav bands, and when i first heard Them Crooked Vultures, i was amazed again. To be able to play in different bands/side projects and still get the credit he does is outstanding. Also hearing Them Crooked Vultures, it had seemed that it was something different, and every time he produces like a new album as such they have a mixture of different sounds of different qualities, in which is what i like.
Gear:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Squier Affinity Telecaster
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Vox AD50VT 212
& New MXR Distortion+
i don't think it would be too crazy to say Dave Grohl is the best drummer of the last 20 years or so anything he plays the drums on turns to pure gold
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ