Hi all

Ive decided to finally tackle sweeping... I have no skills in this technique... So im gonna do it slowly and just get real comfortable with simple repeatitive sweeps first...

So im after some nice and easy four string sweep patterns... Over the last few nights Ive been doing this simple as one:

|--X-----------|
|-----X--------|
|--------X-----|
|-----------X--|
|---------------|
|---------------|

"X" being wherever on the fretboard I decide to do the sweep...

So yeah after some patterns that use all four fingers... Id rather try and avoid ones where you have to do the whole rolling on one finger for now untill I get this down.

Also how fast... lol should I be able to do a sweep to be like "good" at them, I know this is relative... but I want like a target or goal to work towards... Not like super fast, just fast lol.
Last edited by Stildawn at Jul 8, 2010,
Thanks guys...

Any more simple patterns out there? As the above can get boring lol.
Mainly cause I want to get four fingers down before I move onto anything else... As four fingers is the most i can do with out repeated use of fingers... Which Im sure would be a huge speed killer.
Another question.... Can someone tell me the proper technique for up and down strokes for a four finger sweep?

E.g:

--------------9------------------------9--
---------10----10---------------10-----
-----11------------11------11----------
12----------------------12--------------

At the moment I would play that starting on the 12... And sweep down four strings then do a mini sweep of 10---11 up then back down four on the 12 again? Is that correct?

Or should I do something like start on the 12 and sweep down three nots and then sweep up three notes starting from the 9 and then back down three on the 12 again?
Quote by Stildawn
Another question.... Can someone tell me the proper technique for up and down strokes for a four finger sweep?

E.g:

--------------9------------------------9--
---------10----10---------------10-----
-----11------------11------11----------
12----------------------12--------------

At the moment I would play that starting on the 12... And sweep down four strings then do a mini sweep of 10---11 up then back down four on the 12 again? Is that correct?

Or should I do something like start on the 12 and sweep down three nots and then sweep up three notes starting from the 9 and then back down three on the 12 again?

I find it helps if you do it like in you second example. just make sure you play clean and every note rings out clear. Also i found that if you practice sweeps on an acoustic builds great hand strength. One more thing dont practice with distortion, you will pick up bad habits.
Quote by BOLX2IT
One more thing dont practice with distortion, you will pick up bad habits.

Maybe or maybe not. You need to play with distortion also because it's really important to mute the strings while sweeping.
Quote by symba05
Maybe or maybe not. You need to play with distortion also because it's really important to mute the strings while sweeping.

Muting is important!
Taken from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline :

e|-------8-5-------------6-9-------------10-7--------
B|-----7-----6---------7-----8---------9------8------
G|---6---------7-----8---------7-----8----------9----
D|-5-------------8-9-------------6-7--------------10-
A|---------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------

et cetera.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Last edited by slashe50 at Jul 9, 2010,
I find it helps if you do it like in you second example. just make sure you play clean and every note rings out clear. Also i found that if you practice sweeps on an acoustic builds great hand strength. One more thing dont practice with distortion, you will pick up bad habits.

Ah ok thanks for that, so I should break up a four finger sweep into two three string sweeps?

As in:
12 11 10 = Down
9 10 11 = Up
12 11 10 = Down
9 10 11 =Up
Rinse and repeat?

I usually play not even plugged in, and to make myself less bored haha Ive taken to sitting in front of the TV just sweeping over and over again at a comfortable speed... Is this a good idea?

I do, do it with distortion everyday though, for about 20 mins or so at least...

Thanks for all your advice... I have now added in these two patterns

|--------------10-----------------------10--|
|----------12------12--------------12------|
|------11--------------11-----11-----------|
|--12---------------------12-----------------|

and the Petrucci one above..

Any more? Or any other tips?
I don't recommend watching TV while practicing anything. It shouldn't be boring if you don't view it as so.

As far as other techniques don't put off rolling. It's very essential and could really slow you down in the long run. If you're not comfortable with the rolling technique just do two string sweeps on say fret 7, 1st and 2nd string then work your way up. This is a good speed building exercise.

There are a lot of cool 3 string patterns to work on too. I'm not saying put off doing more strings but if you're new to the whole sweeping thing you're biggest concern is sounding clean.
Im not gonna put off anything, Im just gonna work on steps... Im gonna concentrate on getting this simple four string no rolling sweeping going first then work on more complicated sweeps etc...