So, lets cut to the chase! For my birthday last year I bought myself a cheap SJB-62 Fretless from Rondomusic for only $140. I had started playing bass about half a year before on a MIM Jazz that my parents were generous enough to buy me
Here is the fretless in action at a performance of my school's jazz band..

(I could not find dress shoes or socks for the life of me, oh well lol)

It has a pretty obvious Jaco vibe, which is fair as he is more or less responsible for me picking up a bass. However, like most fretless basses (I assume) it came stock with flatwound strings on along with a bare (but lined) rosewood fretboard. I forget when the ebonol Squire model came out.. I may have bought that instead had it been available but I'm sure glad I didn't now! When I first purchased it I had the plan in mind of epoxying the neck of course, but this only came to fruition in the past week or so. Blah blah blah.

Without further adieu..

I had absolutely no experience in painting or woodworking, so it is a miracle that this came out the way it did. I don't have a camera so I hope these quick cellphone shots will suffice. It's a not too creamy cream (I believe it was called 'Swiss Coffee') and I just threw the pickguard back on that had come with it. It sort of has a Jimi Hendrix/Jeff Beck/Ten thousand other people vibe to it, simple.. but it works.

I didn't take any pictures of the epoxying process, but it was fairly simple. I used a System Three epoxy and put on about three coats over three days sanding previous to the next coat. I can't take a picture that quite captures the sheen but it is quite reflective indeed

And here it is with my Fender Jazz.

Also, I contacted a local cabinet maker/wood worker to remove the god awful neon orange stain that comes stock with that model among others. "Vintage"... yehhh whatever SX . It's now a nice unfinished blonde maple neck that feels like butter!

It plays like an absolute dream and sings like no other. I followed a threaded insert tutorial to connect the neck to the body on another popular bass forum which really made the instrument feel more resonant. For $200 or so after purchases, this bass outplays any other fretless that I have played including many MIM Fenders and even a defretted MIA. I wonder how the Jaco sig plays though.. :/. All the hardware is stock, when I have some more (any) money I may buy some Nordstrand NJ4SE's and maybe even a nice J-Retro pre-amp or something.. and a new bridge, a nice Hipshot or something.. tuners? GASSSS

I put up a stupid recording of Jaco's 'America' on my profile.
(http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Gsaws/music/play863606)
It was recorded right into my computer (1/4" to 1/8" cables are cool) and I didn't fiddle with it at all. I don't record much.. but whatever. This bass has been disassembled for months and months and my technique is not quite up to par (eg. the false harmonic section -_-'), but it's there. I threw a set of D'Addario Hi-Beams on it, because that's what I had laying around. It will probably sound more nasally than I have been hearing it through my sound system I realized, but it sounds very balanced when amplified. I can almost pinpoint an upright sound if I put a foam mute at the bridge and favour the neck pick-up. On the other side of things, you should hear it with some ridiculous fuzz, from DFA1979 to wavering-tune dubstep imitations

Cheers if you bothered reading this!
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Jul 9, 2010,
Thats beautiful, love the neck and hate pickguards that have that style but it looks amazing on that bass so i love it in this one exception <3
looks like a beaut to me!
nice work! Happy NRABD!

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
hold it closely, tiny dancer.
she's purty.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by Thunderbird660
Thats beautiful, love the neck and hate pickguards that have that style but it looks amazing on that bass so i love it in this one exception <3

I was thinking about putting on a red tortoise shell pickguard like the American Standards or Flea's 1961 Jazz

Buuuuut this'll work for the time being .. lol

Or like this..

Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Jul 8, 2010,
What type of strings have you got on there? (When you recorded that 'America' clip)
Quote by Pew-Pew
What type of strings have you got on there? (When you recorded that 'America' clip)

Like I said, a set of D'Addario Hi-Beams. I could have gone for some Rotosound Swing 66's but.. maybe that'd be a bit too much Jaco
Quote by FbSa

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by Pew-Pew
Ah right. Awesome playing by the way.

Muchas gracias señor

Recording plugged straight into a soundcard is a good way to analyze your playing by the sounds of it. There's no colour and any wrong move you make is going to come out.
Quote by FbSa

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.