Page 1 of 2
As has been longed promised [to min] i decided to take a bunch of pics of my gear, go over stuff i never NGD'd. this particular installment is our guitar amplifiers, we consolidated them to one room cuz of a speaker replacement marathon. btw, the marathon winner was this lovely set in a late 80's peavey 4x12:

it is an attempt at a Hiwatt 4x12 recreation with (2) CTS squarebacks and (2) reeves vintage purple (fane copies). this cab was sweet with the '69 sunn 1200S (pics below). this is gonna take a couple posts i believe so lets begin.

first, lets get a room shot

i love this room more than ever now. it's hard to see it all at once, so lets get more personal.

i did a ngd on this a while back. but this is a '77 music man hd-130 with a 12AX7 phase inverter (has a channel for guitar and another for bass and both sound quite good). the cab is a early 70's marshall PA cab with a cerwin vega 18" speaker. the combo thumps quite well and it move a whole bunch of air. it is one half of my bass rig, the other half is:

a 1968 acoustic 150b bass head (rated ~125 watts) with matching 2x15 cabinet. very cherry rig, only a little pealing on the back, nice and deep cabinet, fairly portable. these rigs go for cheap and you won't really find much better. the internal circuitry is highly modular with user manuals that document each board and how to troubleshoot and fix each one. these SS rigs were made in america and made to work and be repaired easily, you'd be hard pressed to find such well made SS machines today.

oh, there is also a 55/56 kay k300 amplifier (green covering with refrigerator handle). comes complete with original 6" jenson, pentode preamp tube, 5Y3 tube rectifier and black plate 6V6. i love this amp, i got an old mic to plug into it for authentic 50's tone. so...

this is a late 80's crate 1x12, it was loaded with a british V30, but i pulled that and it has become our workhorse cab. it is constantly being reloaded with new speakers, to test old ones, for small rigs for gigs, etc. made of press wood, front loaded, double ported (so it doesn't have a total closed back feel). great get for a hundred bucks.

also, there is a '74 sunn 610S. loaded with (6) 10" sunn transducers(eminence alnico 'bell' speakers. this is an incredibly tight cabinet, heavy distortion sounds flat and thin on this cab because it is so tight. for example, my orange OR50H usually starts breaking up pretty good with the preamp gain around 4 or 5, but the sunn 6x10 requires much more gain, like around 7. the 6x10 still doesn't really achieve a loose breakup, it is more like a tight sustained tone. i haven't had an abundance of time to experiment with this cabinet, but it sounds amazing mixed in a bass rig.

my buddy's 70's silverface bandmaster 2x12 cab. to tell truth it has the stock speakers in them, so that means they're blown (that is the case with those cabs, so you can find them cheap). we plan on running a eminence bell and a weber california in it. it'll sound good, but we need to get a new wiring kit.

and of course my '79 music man 115-65, has original sylvania 6CA7's (aka EL34's) and the original 15" squareback. was specifically looking for one just like this for quite a while, ended up being made 2 months before i was born. great stand alone amp, has plenty of volume for gigging and mixes great with other amps. not the best for modern distortion sounds as the 15 doesn't like the complex waveforms. this is the music man i play the most often.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
alright, the glory rolls on to

that is an avatar open back 2x12, loaded with... whatever at the time. it is my buddy's cab and it is great for what it is. i can talk no garbage about the avatars i have played, great budget cabs.

oh, and the other thing on top is a '54 gretsch, another supro valco (along with the kay). the gretsch has (2) blackplate 6V6's though and a larger 10" original jenson speaker. this amp is ptp handwired (as is the kay), some original caps were replaced with some special order weber caps (so as to keep spec original!). this is a sweet little amp that LOVES single coil guitars and scorns humbuckers, sounds rediculously authentic (cuz it is). i highly recommend buying an old ass supro if you get the chance.

as promised in the first post, this is the '89 peavey 4x12 loaded with the CTS squarebacks and reeves vintage purple fane clones (OEM is eminence). this is actually my favorite 4x12 i have played. i loved having mesa cab guys come over and i'd make their dual rec sound incredible through my peavey 4x12 and they'd hate going home back to their mesa 4x12. it was originally loaded with G12K-85 speakers(we still have them all) and is a metal machine. construction is quite rugged, tone is grizzly (if a bit sterile with stock speakers). everything about this cab says "Beef"

and that is my '69 sunn 1200S on top the peavey. very cherry, all original tubes (rca 6550's and mullard GZ-34's and 12AX7's/12AT7's. this thing is a monster, and it is mint condition. it is a blast plugging this thing in and getting 'house rattling' loud and sounding 60's rock from hell. did a review of this on the site.

my buddy's H&K triamp is a workhorse, it sounds a bit forced and compressed to me, but i cannot deny it's high gain channel or it's quality. has too many buttons and channels for my tastes, we also spent 3 days finding the right tubes for this amp. it has something like 7 preamp tubes or so for it's channels and tweaking them proper can give great results. it's fender channel liked 7025 in V1, 12AT7 in V2. marshall channel like gold tipped ecc803 in V1 and a regular ecc803 in V2. the high gain channel just got a gold tipped 12ax7 in V1 and 12AX7's in all the others. good amp, a bit much for me though.

this is the 'this doesn't count' pic. this is a friend's strange music man hd130. i am starting to believe this is a prototype music man (placing production around 74/75), has a voicing much more similar to a blackface rather than a music man. when played next to my hd130 head the amps acted quite differently through the same cab. no music man markings, all the chassis holes and arrangements match music man design. the head is longer, which means it might have been pulled from a combo and the head was reboxed. all control labels are written in marker as well. interesting pick for only 350.

the ampeg is 70's with (4) squarebacks. sounds good. and that is also my orange tiny terror in it's bag on top of the music man.

money shot. the bluesbreaker cab was empty and was only there to hold up the ppc212. but this is a THD bivalve (did a review if you want info), my orange OR50H (also did a review), my ppc212 (usually have a couple weber in it, but i have been experimenting green backs right now). the '82 princeton II reverb is a rivera era fender amp with a boring speaker, basically my supros and music man amps have replaced it and i am looking to sell it now.

the THD and orange are regulars in my live setup as i had my ppc212 rewired for mono/stereo operation.

and finally... my '81 212hd-150, my '66 epiphone embassy (reviewed) and my friend's H&K puretone. the music man was my first real amp, i acquired after high school, loud as hell with more headroom than i have really heard in any other amp. the puretone is very raunchy class A, with a knob for bypassing the tone stack. great for dirt, not so much for headroom.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 8, 2010,
alright, these are quickly thrown together. and we didn't have all the guitars, but we had most.

acoustics: Yasuma, Framus, takamine. the Yasuma is 70's and is a great player, the Framus is 60's.

the electrics (clockwise from top left): '69 Gibson SG with trem setup, 91 prs bolt neck with alder body and maple top, '08 american standard strat with mods, Lead I strat with Seth Lover tele deluxe pup, '06 double cut les paul, '86 G&L with 1 piece maple body, gibson faded SG with ebony fretboard, '86 epiphone sheraton, '96 mexican telecaster (my first guitar)

my heritage 555.

lets take a closer look at these pedals

if you have specific questions about particular units let me know, i might go into them more later.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 16, 2010,
Sweet. Now you need this. http://www.austinvintageguitars.com/site/Inventory/Pages/Amplifiers.html#64

And I've been diggin those Music Man amps every time I've gone to AVG in the last few months. Easily better than the SF Fender stuff there and almost as nice as the BF stuff that's been taken care of.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
3, 2, 1....

What the hell is this shit. Why in the world do you need so much gear? That's flippin ridiculous. I bet you can't even play guitar like Tom Petty. What's the point man...
what's the point? what's the point???????

can you even play all of that stuff at once?

this is the most ridiculous display i've ever seen in my entire life.

now..where'd i put that other troll reminder.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 8, 2010,
it's like getting the tour.

how do you like the greenbacks in the orange cab?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 8, 2010,
Do you really need so much wahs?
Your pedalcollection is awesome either way
Last edited by Sguit at Jul 8, 2010,
AM, congrats on conquering Gurrenn. and, why are you guys reserving?

nice amp matt, i played a lunch box amp that looked like that once. the music man stuff is it's own beast really, that reboxed one is highly unique. mostly though they take pedals very well, and the quality is amazing:

that is a gut shot of my 115-65

-ae
jesus christ it feels like i just saw a picture of a amp store.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
That's some great stuff. You and your buddy seem to have quite the life, at least in the guitar department.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by gregs1020
it's like getting the tour.

how do you like the greenbacks in the orange cab?

the green backs are sweet, really classic rock sound. i prefer my webers in there as they have a bit more range than the green backs. i love the OR50H through them, the THD seemed 'limited' with the greenbacks. makes small amps sound big though.

jesus christ it feels like i just saw a picture of a amp store.

That's some great stuff. You and your buddy seem to have quite the life, at least in the guitar department.

some people think we have a problem,

and, greg, we need to still make the pedal and guitar pics. maybe tonight or tomorrow.

-ae
Holy crap, now this is an awesome rig! Sick thread!

Quote by gumbilicious

a 1968 acoustic 150b bass head (rated ~125 watts) with matching 2x15 cabinet. very cherry rig, only a little pealing on the back, nice and deep cabinet, fairly portable. these rigs go for cheap and you won't really find much better. the internal circuitry is highly modular with user manuals that document each board and how to troubleshoot and fix each one. these SS rigs were made in america and made to work and be repaired easily, you'd be hard pressed to find such well made SS machines today.

Nice, the original 156 setup in good condition! I have an ACC 140 which is the same thing as the 150b, just the next generation and it's a wonderful amp. I'm fixing up a 2x15" cab and then it will serve as my primary bass amp and secondary guitar amp. I'm glad that ACC is getting some love on UG, they made some of the best SS amps ever.

Oh and gumbi's amps >>>>> AM's amps. This shouldn't even be a competition, sorry.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
The gut shot picture is a beauty. That amp looks so much more neatly built than my Silverface Fender.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
those are some nice amps, I must say.

Is that Peavey Cab a MS412? I have one from 87 I think, it's loaded with Celestion G12K-85's.

Actually looking at it again I don't think it is, mine is the angled version and has different rubber feet and handles and it seems a different tolex.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Nice, the original 156 setup in good condition! I have an ACC 140 which is the same thing as the 150b, just the next generation and it's a wonderful amp. I'm fixing up a 2x15" cab and then it will serve as my primary bass amp and secondary guitar amp. I'm glad that ACC is getting some love on UG, they made some of the best SS amps ever.

Oh and gumbi's amps >>>>> AM's amps. This shouldn't even be a competition, sorry.

that 1x18 and music man with the 150b and 2x15 is thunderish, great bass setup. been wanting an acoustic rig and the price was right. what kinda 2x15 are you fixing up? the acoustic 2x15 is the smallest i have seen, i usually see the huge ampeg ones the size of my 1x18. sounds like a prime setup though, i am immensely happy with mine.

also, if you can find some old Kustom SS rigs, the wiring in them is pretty crazy as well. also very modular and quite immaculate.

The gut shot picture is a beauty. That amp looks so much more neatly built than my Silverface Fender.

i love those gut shots, all those lined up canned transistors. yes, very anal interior, i love their quality and imo they put SS and hybrids on the map and set the standard for part/design/quality. it's why i have 3 music man amps and my friends usually have one too.

those are some nice amps, I must say.

Is that Peavey Cab a MS412? I have one from 87 I think, it's loaded with Celestion G12K-85's.

Actually looking at it again I don't think it is, mine is the angled version and has different rubber feet and handles and it seems a different tolex.

don't know the model. i dated it from the mounting plate for the speaker jacks (price tag with date). it uses very thick baltic birch ply, K-85's, and has a 'snakeskin' style tolex covering (and duct tape). probably very similar design, you have the slanted front version, great cab, very metal.

-ae
Quote by AcousticMirror
reserved for h8 h8 h8 h8

reserved for ha ha ha ha.

to give AM credit, he has much nicer amps after 1 year of playing than i had after 9 years of playing. and many of my purchases were driven by needing gigging and jamming equipment, i didn't even show my ragged ass PA equipment

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
reserved for ha ha ha ha.

to give AM credit, he has much nicer amps after 1 year of playing than i had after 9 years of playing. and many of my purchases were driven by needing gigging and jamming equipment, i didn't even show my ragged ass PA equipment

no offence to AM but 9 years of acquiring that much mojo must be much more satisfying.
Quote by gumbilicious
the green backs are sweet, really classic rock sound. i prefer my webers in there as they have a bit more range than the green backs. i love the OR50H through them, the THD seemed 'limited' with the greenbacks. makes small amps sound big though.

and, greg, we need to still make the pedal and guitar pics. maybe tonight or tomorrow.

i've noticed this with my tweaker and gb. i need to test the deluxe through it.

i'll be watching for the guitar/pedal update.
I've been playing guitar for like 7 years, and I just recently acquired my 2nd amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by gumbilicious
that 1x18 and music man with the 150b and 2x15 is thunderish, great bass setup. been wanting an acoustic rig and the price was right. what kinda 2x15 are you fixing up? the acoustic 2x15 is the smallest i have seen, i usually see the huge ampeg ones the size of my 1x18. sounds like a prime setup though, i am immensely happy with mine.

also, if you can find some old Kustom SS rigs, the wiring in them is pretty crazy as well. also very modular and quite immaculate.

I'm fixing up an old Traynor 2x15" which is also really small by 2x15" standards, but it should still be pretty sweet. I'd love to get an original ACC cab, something like a 401 or a 402/406, but Acoustic gear is pretty scarce up here in Canada. I plan on picking up a more powerful ACC head one day too, maybe a 370 or a 320. Yeah, Acoustic had the top bass gear you could get back in the day and for good reason, their guitar amps were pretty sweet too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Tedward
no offence to AM but 9 years of acquiring that much mojo must be much more satisfying.

up to that 10 years i probably owned 5 amps, that includes 2 crappy marshall practice amps. i kinda recently acquired most of this, but all those years of being hungry def prepared me for the search though.

i've noticed this with my tweaker and gb. i need to test the deluxe through it.

i'll be watching for the guitar/pedal update.

heard a green back in a bandmaster with cab, def sounds more wild. they have a spitting mids effect with the greenbacks and 6V6's combined, at high volumes it sounds out of control. it moves air, with slappy attack.

i am charging the camera now. it's all layed out.

I've been playing guitar for like 7 years, and I just recently acquired my 2nd amp.

i owned a marshall super lead 12 practice combo, a marshall VS15 and then a music man 212hd-150 for my first 8 or 9 years til i bought a TT and then i started acquiring. i think you need that long to make informed choices about gear and train your ear to discern the differences.

-ae
the guitar and pedal pics are up.

-ae
Did I spot two fulltone and two RMC wah pedals?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Did I spot two fulltone and two RMC wah pedals?

um, i own a fulltone clyde deluxe, my buddy rmc wizard and picture wah. i thought you'd notice the ada flanger and final phase, or the mutron phaser ii and biphase.

edit: oic, yeah the other fulltone is the deja vibe. great little univibe copy. def recommend to... anybody.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 8, 2010,
Phase pedals do not appeal to me. :p

EDIT: But the vibe sounds cool.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by gumbilicious
the guitar and pedal pics are up.

which guitar gets the most play?
to be straight the 69 SG, the G&L and the prs are not mine; they are my roomie's.

the ash standard strat is my guitar, the other ones i own support that guitar. i customized the strat to my likings and it sound gorgeous. all the clips on my profile are with the ash strat.

-ae
Ash strats rock.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Phase pedals do not appeal to me. :p

EDIT: But the vibe sounds cool.

i'll put up a clip in a second

-ae
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Ash strats rock.

Although I finally bothered to replace the electronics in my Standard today and I'm really digging it for different uses.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by AcousticMirror
3, 2, 1....

What the hell is this shit. Why in the world do you need so much gear? That's flippin ridiculous. I bet you can't even play guitar like Tom Petty. What's the point man...
what's the point? what's the point???????

can you even play all of that stuff at once?

this is the most ridiculous display i've ever seen in my entire life.

now..where'd i put that other troll reminder.

so you used yours huh...

i am surprised i didn't get one of those responses actually. i just direct them to my clips and say 'yes, i can use most of this stuff at once'

-ae
i make lols. tomorrow I photoshop myself into pictures of your gear.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Page 1 of 2