Greetings guitar enthusiasts

I'm new to this whole electric guitar thing scene so I thought I'd ask here. Basically I'm looking for an electric guitar and researching them has been pretty tedious and daunting (at least for me), I'm not sure what to purchase. I'd like to know what kind of guitar you guys would say has the best sound & feel to it.

I've done a little bit of research and found a couple I'm interested in but I'll be honest, I had no idea what I was doing. I couldn't care less if it was antique or autographed or whatever, I'm just looking for a very good, quality electric guitar.

Some I've had in mind were:
- Ibanez S2009SC
- Ibanez GB200
- KH-2 Kirk Hammett Ouija Electric Guitar

There are many, many more but those are the three I found to be at least aesthetically pleasing haha, especially the last one.

What do you recommend?
what you want like the greatest hits list or do you want something you can afford.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
well, if you like to play guitars that are massively overpriced go for it.

plenty of other guitars will be way better for cheaper.

EBMM John Petrucci JP6/7
Washburn WM526
ESP Horizon FR-II/NT-II

and plenty others, but those are 3 of the best playing/quality production guitars you can buy.

if you're looking to spend 3k+ i'd suggest getting a custom.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
You didn't do much research lol.

First Ibanez is $10000
Second one is a hollow body (Which is miles different from the other two)
Third one is also $10000

What's your budget? Do you have an amp? What kind of music do you expect to play?

I wouldn't spend over $600 on both if your still new and not sure about whether you want to keep going with it, but if you wanna spend more then no one's going to stop you.
AcousticMirror - Doesn't matter, just quality
SPBY - I will definitely look into all of those
siverstorm - I know how much they cost I just don't want to buy junk haha.

As for budget, I'm not really concerned how much it costs as long as it's quality. But if you're saying that $600 could get me an electric guitar that sounds just as good as anything else then by all means let me know the brands
Seriously though, if i could have any guitar in the world right now, it would be the Washburn WM526. it's pretty much a USA custom, with an OFR, EMG's and a carbon glass epoxy fretboard (which is incredibly slick), great fret access, super fast neck and amazing build quality.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
depends on what kind of genre you want to play
tell us that and we'll go from their :]
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Wow. I can't honestly believe you're willing to shell out $10K on a guitar and your asking for OUR opinions. And you're a beginner. A good guitar isn't how much money you spend, it's the tone and feel of it.

I never said a $600 guitar would compare to a $10000 guitar, but if your willing to throw away that much cash for something you've never tried before then who am I to tell you that's pretty insane.

But since you wanna spend $10000 on the guitar alone let's have a little fun. Order an ESP Custom shop guitar with all the bells and trimmings then find yourself a vintage marshall or a nice mesa amp and you'll be laughing as you learn the pentatonic scale.
Quote by siverstorm

But since you wanna spend $10000 on the guitar alone let's have a little fun. Order an ESP Custom shop guitar with all the bells and trimmings then find yourself a vintage marshall or a nice mesa amp and you'll be laughing as you learn the pentatonic scale.

What a horrible thought.

This thread... confuses me.

TS, the internet can't really help you at this point. If you genuinely want to get into guitar, then go to different shops and play every thing that catches your eye. Out of all of them, decide which one was the most comfortable to you. Find out the brand and model number, and report back here - then we can give you more insight into thing that you would like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well I don't get why he's looking into $10000+ limited run guitars.

I mean I've seen new players buy $2500 Gibson Les Paul Standards which I'd say is okay, but this is a tad ridiculous.

TS, you can find guitars for incredible quality for $2000, but everyone's so different in their playing needs, if you have no idea what you want in a guitar how can we help you?

I could tell you get an Ibanez RG, but you may like thick Gibson necks instead. That and you didn't even answer the question as to what you want to play. The ESP you were looking at was designed for metal then the hollow body was made for jazz and clean playing. I don't know how anyone could help you at this point when the sky is the limit for you.
TS answer these questions

1. What GENRE do YOU want to play.

2. Do you have a AMP.

3. BUDGET? or you going to just buy most expinsive guitar and/or amp???????????

ONCE you ANSWER those few questions THEN we can help you.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
silverstorm after thinking about it you're absolutely correct.

What I was basically try to get out of this thread was an idea of some of the popular, higher quality guitars. Obviously I'm not going to be silly (rather stupid) enough to spend 10k on a guitar without trying it, I was just hoping to get something along the lines of "XYZ model is best for what you're looking for."

But I suppose the best thing to do is to find someone who's knowledgeable in this stuff and take them to a guitar shop with me.
.... you havent specified what you are looking for. this is information we need

like if you want classic rock type tone, some sort or les paul or sg with 2 or more humbuckers.

blues, jazz, most likey a strat

versitile guitars??? id say strat with one humbucker in bridge and 2 single coils

metal is what you want?? ibanez,jackson,shecter.

i dont understand what this thread is asking.
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by Rick88
silverstorm after thinking about it you're absolutely correct.

What I was basically try to get out of this thread was an idea of some of the popular, higher quality guitars. Obviously I'm not going to be silly (rather stupid) enough to spend 10k on a guitar without trying it, I was just hoping to get something along the lines of "XYZ model is best for what you're looking for."

But I suppose the best thing to do is to find someone who's knowledgeable in this stuff and take them to a guitar shop with me.

Quote by 3hta_bryce
TS answer these questions

1. What GENRE do YOU want to play.

2. Do you have a AMP.

3. BUDGET? or you going to just buy most expinsive guitar and/or amp???????????

ONCE you ANSWER those few questions THEN we can help you.

Okay, but you know we can help you a bit lol. Even if you tell us you like metal and a set budget that would limit your choices so much that we could actually make recommendations for you to try out at a shop.

We may not be able to tell you XYZ model, but we can list off a few quality models and brands that may interest you.
TS, I can understand what you're asking, but it's just... it's not like that. The world of guitars is very, very subjective. There is no hands down "okay, this is the best guitar you can buy". Every person is different, and every person likes different things. Asking for popular high quality guitars will get you nowhere, as every person has a different opinion on what that would be.

And on top of that, it's hard to answer you, because... well, there's just so many. There are so many guitars available, there is just no way we can even start to recommend anything if you don't give us more information, starting with the information that 3hta_bryce is asking for.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You're right Offworld

Genre's I'm interested in are blues/jazz, not into heavy metal, etc. I don't have an amp (I was planning on buying one after purchasing a guitar). And I don't have a set budget.

Quote by 3hta_bryce
i dont understand what this thread is asking.

Sorry bryce :p
Are those the only genres you play? Can you give examples of bands you like/want to sound like?

I'm more informed on gear good for heavy metal, but I know that there's a lot of people here that can point you in the right direction.

I can say though, that if you play blues, you might want to look into a Peavey ValveKing as far as amps go.

And as far as guitar's go, a semi hollow would sound good for those genres.

What kind of stores are around you? Or, what country are you in?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Rick88
AcousticMirror - Doesn't matter, just quality
SPBY - I will definitely look into all of those
siverstorm - I know how much they cost I just don't want to buy junk haha.

As for budget, I'm not really concerned how much it costs as long as it's quality. But if you're saying that $600 could get me an electric guitar that sounds just as good as anything else then by all means let me know the brands

Well there's a point where increased money is going to get you diminishing returns. you're going to be buying something that's expensive because it's a sig, because it's decked out a certain way, because it's got a fancy top.

IMO, that cap is right around 3000-5000 dollars.

so let's see just off the top of my head....oh ya I've never played any japanese guitars so listen to other people about that.

Suhr Customs
Anderson Customs
Artinger Customs
MotorAve Custom Guitars
James Tyler Custom Guitars
PRS Guitars, but I only really like the hollowbodies
Gibson Custom Historic Reissues
Thorn Custom Guitars
Collings
James Trussart

that's all I can think of right now.

If you wanna pay more go for it.
PRS Private stock
Ibanez Sigs
Gibson Custom Special Edition sigs
blues - can't go wrong with a Fender Strat/Tele. A hollowbody might be good too, but you might want a guitar that's a bit more versatile for your first (hollowbodies generally don't take distortion well, except if it has humbuckers).

If you don't like metal, why would you want a Kirk Hammett Sig Guitar? Seems counterintuitive.
Quote by Arterial
btw this thread makes me want to hit children.

This.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Ok finally where getting somewhere.

search for a USED fender strat with HSS pickups

unless you want to spend 500 for a new one. used usually goes for around 300

amp, answer this- do you WANT to be able to try out different effects and amp models etc... OR do you want to have a regular amp that sounds immensely better but has its own clean and distorted tone and for effects you would have to buy separate pedals

FOR the first option i suggest looking at one of these - THIS

and for a nice blues tone go for one of these - This also has effects but i dont think you would want to go tube yet, so this has a nice fender clean tone to it.
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by Rick88
You're right Offworld

Genre's I'm interested in are blues/jazz, not into heavy metal, etc. I don't have an amp (I was planning on buying one after purchasing a guitar). And I don't have a set budget.

Sorry bryce :p

Let's assume you don't want to dish out over $5k+ for a guitar...

Blues/Jazz would be:

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson '58 LP Reissue
Gibson '59 LP Reissue
Fender '57 Reissue
Numerous Fender Custom Shops
Fender '62 Reissue
Fender Eric Clapton Signature
Fender Eric Johnson Signature
Fender Jeff Beck Signature
PRS Modern Eagle II/III
PRS Hollowbody II
Ibanez Andy Timmons Signature
Gibson ES335
Gibson Dot
Fender '52 Telecaster
Fender '72 Telecaster
PRS Mira

You could also look at small company luthiers that build custom guitars such as Schroeder.

As for amps, assuming you don't have a set budget but don't want to spend a fortune:
Mesa/Boogie Lonestar
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Marshall Superlead/JTM45/100
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Super Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme
Fuchs Clean Machine
Fuchs Lucky 7
Other Fuchs (Can't remember all their names)
Vox AC30
HiWatt amps (David Gilmour's Signature)
Fender Bassman Tweed
Two-Rock Classic Reverb(?)

Two-Rock also made a new amp for Eric Gales that sounds like a refined Marshall to my ears. That would be worth checking out.

Get a Tube driver/Tube screamer and a good Delay unit and you'll be practically set on everything.

This is also assuming you'll want to spend all this money on gear since you're just beginning, and if you are wanting to go the extra mile and getting EVERYTHING you would need for what you want to play.
^very good info.
PRS Custom 22/24s would work for him too. Versatile little buggers they are.
Quote by Arterial
^very good info.
PRS Custom 22/24s would work for him too. Versatile little buggers they are.

True, but the Modern Eagle has a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck

Can't go wrong with PRS, really.
Dont buy Gibsons, PRS, Suhr etc. You're just starting out. U don't even know if u will like the electric guitar.

Get an Epiphone Les Paul standard for the guitar. It costs around $500, made very well and does blues and jazz well. For amp, get a Fender Blues Junior which costs $500 I think. It sounds good for blues and jazz. That should cost u around $1000.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Well just an update, a friend of a friend (who's apparently into guitars and the like) is coming with us to a local shop and I'll see what I should buy, I've taken all what you guys have said into consideration.

When my friend told his friend that I was planning on buying a 10k guitar without seeing it he called me a loon lol
you want a quality guitar???

GET A TOM ANDERSON
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
you want a quality guitar???

GET A TOM ANDERSON

bandwagoner.
Quote by ericlaw02
I wish I had a $10k budget on my beginner guitar.

I read this thread with my mouth open. I think this guy just went to musiciansfriend and searched price high to low or something. I guess he has a high paying job and no kids, when I started I payed less than 100 for my first rig

I wish I had a $10k budget for my rig right now...and mine cost me less than 1500 bucks total.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
Quote by Helicopters!
Hell, I wish I had a $1000 budget for my rig.

Amen brother

I need a new job
if your looking for metal, try a jackson or a dean. if maybe blues or classical rock, go for a les paul or epiphone. if u want to play a lot, use an ibanez. if you want to use metal, buy an esp.
You should maybe buy a 300-800 dollar guitar if you want it to sound good. Or you can simply go to a local guitar shop and test them out. My favorite, and all i use so far, is Ibanez. Ibanez is great for about every genre, so try out an Ibanez!
Last edited by omegametal222 at Jul 9, 2010,
Rick88, you cracked me up. Guitar enthusiast, really? Is that like a musician or a person that collects guitars like some collect beer cans? There's no such concept as best sounding electric guitar either. I've seen a guy on youtube covering songs by making farting noises with his hand - I'm sure what's best sounding to him wouldn't be much relevant to me so why even bother asking this subjective question to strangers with unknown tastes? There isn't even a universal "guitar thing scene" - we are not some gang with one leader, one voice and religion - everybody does what they like. In fact, with the "questions" you posted, you could have everybody on this board answer differently and you will be right where you started.
Quote by That_Guitar_Man
I read this thread with my mouth open. I think this guy just went to musiciansfriend and searched price high to low or something. I guess he has a high paying job and no kids, when I started I payed less than 100 for my first rig

I wish I had a $10k budget for my rig right now...and mine cost me less than 1500 bucks total.

lol, the musiciansfriend part made me chuckle. In all seriousness, I'm in my 20's, bored, with no "high paying job" but I did sell a business I ran a couple years ago if that counts but that's neither here nor there.

Quote by KingStill
Rick88, you cracked me up. Guitar enthusiast, really? Is that like a musician or a person that collects guitars like some collect beer cans? There's no such concept as best sounding electric guitar either. I've seen a guy on youtube covering songs by making farting noises with his hand - I'm sure what's best sounding to him wouldn't be much relevant to me so why even bother asking this subjective question to strangers with unknown tastes? There isn't even a universal "guitar thing scene" - we are not some gang with one leader, one voice and religion - everybody does what they like. In fact, with the "questions" you posted, you could have everybody on this board answer differently and you will be right where you started.

Thanks KingStill, I sort of got the message judging from my subsequent comments.

I will admit, perhaps it was a little silly asking the question but understand my background/knowledge deals with computers, not instruments. What would've been "dumb", in my opinion, was buying something on the fly without at least asking.

It may of been a stupid question initially but I'm glad I asked it given the information I have now.

But once I buy my rig this weekend stay tuned for some even dumber questions about playing it
I don't think you're as crazy as some other people in this thread (assuming you're not just a troll), but one thing that hasn't been brought up yet is that handling and taking care of a guitar takes experience. Each guitar I've owned I've been less likely to scratch or dent than the previous one. It would suck to experience your first dent on a $10k guitar.