I like Outpost No.23, its got a cool drum-driven sound, and where there are breaks in the drumming pattern either guitar or bass steps up to fill. Not to mention that your guitar tones are excellent, its a cohesive piece of music, and the voice fits very well musically.

I <3 that voice. I REALLY <3 that voice. Its got a lot of weight in it, but your not yelling or screaming, and it does what the lyrics and the music tell it to.

Burning Ties sounds like a pretty mellow song, and it sounds pretty sad. What emotion are you trying to convey in the song, if I may pry, because its mixed in my head. I can't wait to hear it with the bass added in.

Dog Eat Dog World is a little bit more up the alley I've found myself as of late, except that my voice ranges in the tenor range and I've been working acoustic for awhile. Think Grunge unplugged sets. Once again, its a cohesive piece of work and your voice is doing a damn good job not just fitting with the music, but adding some weight to what you're singing. I couldn't pick out the lyrics as well here, though, so that might be the one thing you should look out for.

Overall, I want these on my mp3 player. I REALLY want these on my mp3 player.

Take a listen to these two? I did a few covers too, but I'm too lazy to link to them...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1334457

And:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1335543
Outpost No. 23-
A pretty good indie feel to it. I think where it picks up at about 1:00 it would be really powerful with more distortion on the guitar, but that would lessen the indie feel of the song, but I'm more partial towards the more punk side rather than indie, so its your call on that one. It's really catchy and well organized. I like the little extra bits of instrumentation and vocals you put into the song.

Burning Ties-
I think this song could benefit from a little more intricate guitar part, but a walking type bassline could also help that. It feels to me like the song is waiting on the guitar parts. Its a really good song as-is but it could be as good if not better than Outpost No. 23 with a little more variation in the guitar parts.

Dog Eat Dog Worlold-
I like the intro A LOT! I think it could be a little more powerful if there wasn't that second guitar part in the first chorus where it first picks up, but again, that would be a more punk feel and less of an indie feel, so its really up to you what you want it to be. I think it ends kind of abruptly... maybe if you added another chorus into the end it would feel a little smoother, but this song is my favorite out of the three for sure mainly because they way you manipulate the song's dynamics with the instrumentation.

Here is my C4C thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335652 ... hope my comments helped!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by L2112Lif

Burning Ties sounds like a pretty mellow song, and it sounds pretty sad. What emotion are you trying to convey in the song, if I may pry, because its mixed in my head.

Dog Eat Dog World -I couldn't pick out the lyrics as well here, though, so that might be the one thing you should look out for.

Take a listen to these two? I did a few covers too, but I'm too lazy to link to them...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1334457

And:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1335543

the links for your songs don't work

feel free to post or PM me the links!

and yes Burning Ties is pretty much supposed to be a sad, sort of desperate, understanding of a situation, it's a bit reluctant near the end as well. it moves from hope and general understanding of a sad unfortunate situation, to the end/outro where there's virtually no hope for the relationship, but a mature understanding, (yet with reluctance) and idea of what's probably happening, and just kind of giving up at the same time. So ya, pretty sad, haha. It's about a girl.

As for Dog Eat Dog World yes, the vocals need to be turned up. These are only early mixes, and haven't even been fully mixed yet so these will all sound a lot better in their final form, especially when they're mastered

oh and there's actually two vocalists! I sing the first half of Outpost, and all of Burning Ties, the other vocalist is all of Dog Eat Dog World.

I'll shoot you a PM with the songs! hopefully sometime in the fall we'll have a full EP 6-7 songs and fully mastered.

Still ready to crit your stuff too, so hit me up with the links

Quote by cukd7x-a2-

Burning Ties-
I think this song could benefit from a little more intricate guitar part, but a walking type bassline could also help that. It feels to me like the song is waiting on the guitar parts. Its a really good song as-is but it could be as good if not better than Outpost No. 23 with a little more variation in the guitar parts.

Here is my C4C thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335652 ... hope my comments helped!

on my way to crit right after this!

since this is already in one post, and not another bump/post i thought i'd just address some stuff here.

For Burning Ties, I'd like to know if you mean the actual chord progression or the way the progression is played should be more intricate? but yes this is just an early mix and was the least finished of the 3, it still needs bass (we're actually writing it today), a little bit more lead guitar and a lot more of my favorite, SYNTH! thanks for listening.
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Last edited by Three11Rules at Jul 9, 2010,
For Burning Ties I just meant to add like another chord in the progression because the 2 chord one you had going seemed a little odd and slow with the song, but other instruments may very well fix that problem.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
"Outpost #23": Audio quality of recording on everything sounds very good: I like the way you occasionally doubled up on the vocals. Some of the melodies were good, others were unusual for me. Good overall. "Burning Ties": other than the fact you need some bass, I think the first 2 minutes sounds excellent! Very nice melodies on the first 2 minutes, the last minute was good, but not as good for me. At ~2/3's into it it felt like it needed some lead guitar to me. "Dog Eat Dog": I really like the palm-muted verse guitar & the lead guitar. Bass & drums are good. I like most of the melodies. Singing pitch control is good. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332089
Outpost - I really like this song. It's well put together and the voice fits very well. I would also echo the comments that the guitar could do with a little more distortion in the heavier more up-tempo parts. I would also say that the drums sound a little too muffled for my liking... IMO they sound like a lot of the high-end has been cut while eq'ing. They don't blend with the guitars as well as they could due to this.

Burning Ties - Again I think the drums could do with a little more cut (not as much as Outpost, though). I really like this song as well. A different feel to the previous... more moody and a bit darker. Bass would really help so post a version when you have it recorded. The guitar very close to the end that has possibly a slight chorus effect one it.. I think they could be dropped back into the mix slightly. At the moment I think they're a bit too prominent and overpower the rest (only a little bit, though).

Dog - This definitely has a Muse kind of sound to it which I really like. The only negative I can say about this (and it's being pretty picky) is that the drums fall ever so slightly behind the beat near the beginning of the guitar solo. I only noticed this because I've been playing drums for six years so I doubt most people would notice this. This would be my favourite of the three.

Good job on all of them! I don't really have any songwriting criticism for you (I'll be listening to these over the next couple of days, though so I'll get back to you if I come up with anything).
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Damn man great stuff

Outpost n023: Great song, especially like the middle loud section, correct me if im wrong but the vocalist is quite influenced by Matt Bellamy right? Cuz it sounds like he's channeling him at certain parts, but what's good is that he doesn't overdo it like a lot of Bellamy idolisers I've heard recently. Cuz It's a rough mix I'm not going to say a lot in terms of the engineering side but the drums sound pretty off, both in where they are in the mix and the fact that they sound like a hacksaw's been taken to the high end. The bass is'nt sitting well either.

Burning ties: This song reminds me of John Frusciante's solo stuff for some reason, the drums sound a lot better here but the guitars could possibly do with a bit more balancing, especially towards the end. Bass would really make this song.

Dog eat Dog: Again a very Matt Bellamy esque performance from the vocalist, in fact the whole song sounds like muse. This is probably the better mixed of the three.

All in all nice stuff, I really like Outpost. I would definetley come check you out if you were a local band.

Check mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337322
(this topics is pretty high up on the page, so I dont feel this is a bump, also a question was asked lol)

thank you jon!

Quote by ImaHighwayChile

Outpost n023: correct me if im wrong but the vocalist is quite influenced by Matt Bellamy right? Cuz it sounds like he's channeling him at certain parts, but what's good is that he doesn't overdo it like a lot of Bellamy idolisers I've heard recently.

Dog eat Dog: Again a very Matt Bellamy esque performance from the vocalist, in fact the whole song sounds like muse. This is probably the better mixed of the three.

thanks for the nice words man, i sent you a PM about the sound issues...

ya so you asked about the matt bellamy influence, at the time I was super influenced by Bellamy, but i've tried to steer away from that as of late. There's actually two vocalists though, I'm the first half of Outpost and all of Burning Ties and the other vocalist is the last half of Outpost (besides the last chorus, hes harmonies) and he's all of Dog Eat Dog World.

The other vocalist says hes not that influenced by Bellamy, and that he thinks him and Bellamy just listen to the same stuff, but I mean i feel the results speak for themselves, and I know he used to be a big Muse fan, but in general he just likes being real theatrical... Personally I wish he would tone it down a bit as his voice really shines when isn't trying to be so over-the-top imo. We wrote Outpost together, him more-so on the melody front, so the Museness probably stems from that, in that song. and he wrote Dog Eat Dog fully, so there ya go haha.
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Last edited by Three11Rules at Jul 13, 2010,
Outpost - Very nice song, I pretty much agree with what previous people have said, in the sense that some of the guitar could be a tad more distorted in the heavier parts, and the drums sounds a bit muted, which I feel detracts from their impact a fair bit, especially in the lead up to 0:56. But other than those small things, AWESOME song! I can't stop listening to it, its right up my alley.

Burning Ties - Just moved on to this one and I'm blown away my friend. The vocals are outstanding, you can hear and feel the desperate anguish i the first verses - I'm not sure if this is what you were aiming for but that is what is coming across to me. I can't wait to hear this song once the bass has been added, I think it will take it to a whole new level. Very impressive man.

Dog Eat Dog - My favourite straight away! Very muse-ish feel to it, the almost ethereal, rising vocals and the progressive guitar, excellent stuff. Not to mention the guitar solo, fits into the song perfectly! I can't really find anything wrong with this song so well done, for an early mix, its excellent.

Very pleasant surprise coming across these songs so thankyou!

If you have some spare time, some feedback would be great: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338667