I obtained a beat up classical guitar from my neighbors who were moving out and they were gonna throw it away but i managed to get it instead...

Anyways from what i can see the brand is "Hondo"...doesn't look to good and i think i want to maybe repaint it or something im just unsure how to start..also pics now...

Thanks!
yea but i was looking at the three guides..just regular sanding..not chemical or heat way?...im not sure which one is right
it cracks me up how some people actually pay more money to get a "relic" guitar which has been artificially aged, then on the other hand, you've got an actual relic guitar and you want to refurbish it.

you wanting to just restore it to it's original look? Or do something else?
Quote by GraveDroid
yea but i was looking at the three guides..just regular sanding..not chemical or heat way?...im not sure which one is right

i wouldnt use chemicals or heat on wood
Project like that definitely falls under the less is more category.

First thing use a fine grit sand paper (finishing sand paper like >500) across the top, ignore the bridge this step, and rub lightly with the grain. Don't sand the finish off, just the part of the finish that is peeling. After that repeat again with a finer grain, and then yet again with a even finer grain etc... once you get to about 2000 grain you can quit and depending on how much finish you got left then decide on whether to touch up, or fill in.

Second, Fret board. Take 00 steel wool and rub across the grain parallel with the frets. Fret board looks pretty clean, so don't use much elbow grease on it. Use some lemon oil to brighten up the wood, but be careful, apply it to the center of the finger space and rub it out to the fret, don't let it seep under the fretwire.

Back and sides look fine, so leave it alone, as well as the miss matched hardware.

Really the only thing you gotta deal with is the top, and if some toddler hadn't done that ziggzagg next to the neck I'd say sand it smooth then polish the finish you have left. But who knows that might buff out after a coupla of passes with fine grain sand paper.

Moral of the entire story, less is more.

James
I mean they were literally going to throw this guitar away and its in pretty bad shape, and i wanted to try to refinish a guitar and now i have a guitar that i spent $0 is all just didn't know where to start really,

thanks for the tips i appreciate this and i realize i look like a fool/noob but i wasn't sure so i figured id just ask instead of be flat out wrong...
P.s. Do As Little As Possible To The Rosette It's Probably Just A Decal, Once Those Are Screwed Up The Whole Thing Has To Go!!!
Quote by IronFeliks
Project like that definitely falls under the less is more category.

First thing use a fine grit sand paper (finishing sand paper like >500) across the top, ignore the bridge this step, and rub lightly with the grain. Don't sand the finish off, just the part of the finish that is peeling. After that repeat again with a finer grain, and then yet again with a even finer grain etc... once you get to about 2000 grain you can quit and depending on how much finish you got left then decide on whether to touch up, or fill in.

Second, Fret board. Take 00 steel wool and rub across the grain parallel with the frets. Fret board looks pretty clean, so don't use much elbow grease on it. Use some lemon oil to brighten up the wood, but be careful, apply it to the center of the finger space and rub it out to the fret, don't let it seep under the fretwire.

Back and sides look fine, so leave it alone, as well as the miss matched hardware.

Really the only thing you gotta deal with is the top, and if some toddler hadn't done that ziggzagg next to the neck I'd say sand it smooth then polish the finish you have left. But who knows that might buff out after a coupla of passes with fine grain sand paper.

Moral of the entire story, less is more.

James

cool thanks..stupid question what is the "finish" part and how is it different...should i sand it until you see just the would or try to sand as little as possible?

thanks though really helps
The finish is the glossy part. Go pretty lightly. Basically the finish has started to split, and peel. What you want to do is removed as much of the lose finish as possible while retaining as much of the intact finish as possible. What you will be left with is, hopefully, nice vertical unfinished stripes wood. Then if it looks ok to you can buff the finish and have a some exposed stripes, which probably won't affect the playability. If you don't like the look you can then proceed to the refinishing stage. Either way if you are gonna refinish you are gonna sand down the top anyway.

James
ah ok makes sense, some of these lines run fairly deep-ish..should it look smooth when sanding or should it be ok with the vertical grooves?
dude, IMO you should do something completely... unorthodox for lack of a better term.
you should install a SC pickup (like Mike Bloomfield i think...) put new tuners in, a Graph Tech TUSQ XL or whatever it is, you should do a crazy hand painted design, like this:
http://www.journalofantiques.com/images14/fguitar.jpg
i dunno just my thoughts
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
It'll be okay, just sand with the grain, and sand lightly, you aren't removing wood, just removing the lose finish, it won't be completely smooth, but they won't seem as deep when you are done.

James
Quote by Dr.Tong
dude, IMO you should do something completely... unorthodox for lack of a better term.
you should install a SC pickup (like Mike Bloomfield i think...) put new tuners in, a Graph Tech TUSQ XL or whatever it is, you should do a crazy hand painted design, like this:
http://www.journalofantiques.com/images14/fguitar.jpg
i dunno just my thoughts

Lol that guitar looked trippy, i dont have confidence in installing pickups and tuners yet, i might start with just refinishing this one to see if im actually ok at it...if i turn out halfway decent i know a friend who also has a guitar hes getting rid of so then ill try something like that for the heck of it and for the experience. Thanks for the input!
Quote by IronFeliks
It'll be okay, just sand with the grain, and sand lightly, you aren't removing wood, just removing the lose finish, it won't be completely smooth, but they won't seem as deep when you are done.

James

ok thank you very much this is really helpful, also the edge around the front is very beat up pretty much all around, the backside looks like a normal wear but the front not so much...should i round it off or leave it alone?