Hey folks,

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm not concerned about the quality of the amp's clean channel. Reason being I have roommates with a Fender 73 Bassman, Fender Dual Showman, and Fender Hot Rod Deville.

Secondly, I've tested a variety of amps. I'd like recommendations to amps I have not had the opportunity to test due to their unavailability at my local guitar shops.

My gear:
Mesa Recto 2x12 w/ Vintage 30 speakers
Jackson DKMGT w/ a Seymour Duncan SH-1 ('59) & TB-12 (Screamin' Demon) humbucker combo

I'm looking for a high gain amp with a similar voicing to a Soldano SLO-100 or Peavey 5150/6505. I'm perfectly fine with an amp that gives a similar tone, I'm not that much of a tone freak. I may end up settling for a Bugera 6262.

Here are the amp heads I've tested:
Marshall JCM2000 (Not the tone I'm looking for)
Mesa Recto Single/Dual/Triple (Too heavy for me)
Peavey 5150/6505 (Closer to the tone I'm looking for, but sounded too fizzy)
Randall RM100 w/ SL+ & Ultra XL Modules
Soldano Decatone
Soldano SLO-100 (Too Expensive & Loud)

I'd like to try a Marshall JCM 800, Peavey JSX, Peavey XXX, and Soldano Hot Rod 50+, granted I can find a shop that holds these items. YouTube doesn't do any justice either.

Lemme know what you guys think. I'm open to suggestions to 50 Watt amp heads as well.
Last edited by keennay at Jul 8, 2010,
try an ENGL Fireball

EDIT: too expensive
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Last edited by dale-banez at Jul 9, 2010,
I've played a JSX once, its kinda like a subtler 5150 (less fizzy, to put it your words). Uber versatile though. I think that should cater to your needs.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
If you can find one (they are still very new), look at Peavey's 6534+ amplifier. It's a 6505+ with EL34 tubes. You might also like Carvin's V3, but unless you live in California, you aren't likely to find one in a local shop. They sound great, but they are freakishly loud. Be warned.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^Fireballs aren't too expensive, though if he thinks a rec is too heavy, the ENGL might be too. Theres a guy on Rig Talk selling his fireball for $1100,,, I got mine for $800, but mine was a bit of a gamble on my part. Theres a Mesa Tremoverb on rt too for $800
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73582 ,, hell of a deal if you ask me, but if recs arent your thing

AcousticMirror is selling his Splawn Quickrod for $1200,, http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73596
the slo's not too loud. expensive yes

Just grab an avenger 100. it's like 80 percent as good as the slo.
you can grab some mercury mag transformers or onetics and make it like 90 percent as good.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
If you're wanting a SLO sound, go for a Soldano Avenger, or a Hot Rod, or a Jet City Amps JCA100 or JCA50.

Not sure on the Mercury transformers, though, I'm not a big fan of them personally. I find them muddy, loose and too 'spongey' sounding.

If you're into the Randall modular stuff, look into Salvation mods (he makes a bunch of really great sounding modules, including a SLO module: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=909142&content=music&songcount=46&offset=0&currentPage=2)

In my opinion, his stuff sounds alot better than the stock Randall modules.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 9, 2010,
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'd definitely like to try out a Peavey JSX sometime soon.

How about rackmount gear? I've been eyeing (2) preamps: Soldano SP-77 & x88R lately. For those who are more experienced in the rackmount department, what sort of power amps would you suggest to complement these preamps?

Also, would other preamp/power amp rack combos would you recommend?
fryettes 2:50:2 and 2:90:2 are great as are Mesa's stereo 2:50. Haven't tried too many others. Carvin makes I think the TS100 which usually goes for pretty cheap.
Peavey - 5150/6505/VTM/Butcher/Valveking. All can be found for under $700 used. The VTM and Butchers are JCM 800 clones and are probably the best value you'll find on the used market for a metal amp.

Sovtek - You can still find these on E-bay for relatively short money. $350-$400 range last time I checked.

Jet City - Sound great and aren't that expensive new.

Lee Jackson XLA-1000 - This amp was recommended to me as a low cost substitute for a JCM 800. The clips I've heard sound really good. Think you can find them for around $400 used, but am not sure.
Thanks again guys.

I think I'm going to just save up for the Soldano SLO-100. I just went to the shop today and it sounded amazing! I then hooked up to a Peavey 6505+ and definitely wasn't impressed.

This Soldano had a 50-Watt switch and was toggled to the 50-Watt position, which I didn't realize till I was done playing an hour later. Is that common? I never knew there existed this Soldano mod.
i'd throw in a used vht deliverance in the mix too.

the soldano rack stuff is great. probably might cost more in the long run though since you have to get a pre and power for the rack.
Quote by keennay
Thanks again guys.

I think I'm going to just save up for the Soldano SLO-100. I just went to the shop today and it sounded amazing! I then hooked up to a Peavey 6505+ and definitely wasn't impressed.

This Soldano had a 50-Watt switch and was toggled to the 50-Watt position, which I didn't realize till I was done playing an hour later. Is that common? I never knew there existed this Soldano mod.

If you can afford a Soldano, then you might want to take a look at a Mako.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Hot Rod 50 is cool fo sho but it looks like you made up your mind. I really need to play a SLO and a Jet City 100H ABY.

ya suck it or something 311ohsodef. lols. I want to a/b them too. : (.

yes there is a half power mod for the slo.

if you were planning on spending 1100 you shouldn't have to save up for much more. 2200 and a little bit of patience.
If you want a pure bad ass high gain amp I would go either 5150 or Deliverance, depending on the tone you are after.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

You got get a used Mesa Mark III or IV. They pop up on Ebay for around $1000 alot
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by Nightgaunt
Peavey - 5150/6505/VTM/Butcher/Valveking. All can be found for under $700 used. The VTM and Butchers are JCM 800 clones and are probably the best value you'll find on the used market for a metal amp.

Sovtek - You can still find these on E-bay for relatively short money. $350-$400 range last time I checked.

Jet City - Sound great and aren't that expensive new.

Lee Jackson XLA-1000 - This amp was recommended to me as a low cost substitute for a JCM 800. The clips I've heard sound really good. Think you can find them for around $400 used, but am not sure.

the new Butchers look really good actually. REALLY good. Not super high gain, but super versatile and with a great control interface.

I really like my VTM 60, with a boost it can get pretty heavy. Touchy volume control, it doesn't sound quite full until a reasonable volume.

Soldano Avenger, JCA50/100 might be good. Egnater Armageddon/Vengeance would be an AMAZING amp once they come out.

It all depends what exactly you want from the amp.