I'm an amateur guitarist. I'm considering a a second guitar(first one being a Squier Bullet).

Ibanez RG370DX ;
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme (FR) ;(I'm getting both in this price range)
Cort KX5 FR
Schecter Omen 6
ESP M50

Since I'm planning on having this guitar for atleast two years, and I want a good investment.
Also, I'm confused whether to go for a fixed bridge or a LFR. I play DROP D tunings pretty frquently. So do you think that having(or not having) the whammy bar will seriously limit me in the future ? I play metalcore,heavy metal, rock and some blues. But mostly Metal.

Please help me out.
A Floyd rose is bad if you plan on frequently changing tunings
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Quote by burningsilver
I'm an amateur guitarist. I'm considering a a second guitar(first one being a Squier Bullet).

Ibanez RG370DX ;
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme (FR) ;(I'm getting both in this price range)
Cort KX5 FR
Schecter Omen 6
ESP M50

Since I'm planning on having this guitar for atleast two years, and I want a good investment.
Also, I'm confused whether to go for a fixed bridge or a LFR. I play DROP D tunings pretty frquently. So do you think that having(or not having) the whammy bar will seriously limit me in the future ? I play metalcore,heavy metal, rock and some blues. But mostly Metal.

Please help me out.

So you are already planning on getting rid of it?

But to answer your question, go fixed. More stable tuning and much easier to change strings.
i play a lot of hard rock and metal as well. i bought a guitar specificly for this with a fixed bridge. i find it doesn't limit anything, but then again, i took off the arm on my strat and play it as if it was a fixed bridge. i'm just not a fan of using it for anything. if you're planning on divebombing or if you cover music that has a lot of whammy stuff, you might want to get it just to be safe.

on a side note, why not keep your squier for standard tuning and the new one for drop d?
Quote by the_unforgiven6
A Floyd rose is bad if you plan on frequently changing tunings

This.

Also, if you're REALLY adamant on having a whammy bar, there are guitars available with standard Strat-style bridges, but with locking tuners and a graphite nut, and that does the job just as well, without sacrificing the ability to play in alternate tunings.

I'm not too sure of any specific models to check out, but I know there is an Ibanez model that's a variant of the S-series like that.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Well I have an American Standard Strat, and it comes with this bridge, perfectly set up for the whammy, letting you go up and down, and all over the place. It's the same as a normal fixed bridge, but it is Held in by these two screws or bolts or whatever, instead of six, and the bridge is just raised a bit and sits on a slight angle, instead of flat out on the body. I find it works really nicely, because not once has it caused my guitar to go out of tune, in fact, it actually stays in tune better then any of my other guitars.
From the sounds of it, you haven't been playing guitar for a while. And you also said you want the guitar to last. I might be making assumptions, but I'm getting the feeling that since you're relatively new to guitar, you probably don't want something that involves a ton of maintenance. If that's true, do NOT get something with a floyd. A floyd requires a shit load of work, and if you don't know what you are doing, it can be a MAJOR hassle. Just take that in to consideration
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
You said you're playing metalcore, which means you're probably going to want to tune to drop c at some point. You will go completely insane when you want to change from drop d to drop c on a floyd. Just throwing that out there.
Dude, someone said fixed has more stable tuning? what? From what I know (and experience), floyds have more stable tuning because of the locking nut (talking also about LFRs!). And tuning precision with the fine tuners.

You can block the floyd. 5 min research and its not even hard, for anyone. You buy a fixed bridge, its a fixed bridge. Buy a floyd, you have a floating trem, or a strat style - one-way whammy bar, or a completely blocked trem.

People saying changing tuning is hard with a floyd. Not? exactly because what I just said, and blocking it is easy. Also, the sustain might be better on a floyd.

Now the cons.
Well, what I can think of is set up. But hey, you only gotta do it once. And I love to do stuff with guitars. Youd anyway probably want to set up a fixed bridge guitar, but yes, its a lil harder on a floyd guitar. 2. Price, yeah, it might cost a little more. Especially if you get one with an OFR.

All in all, its just purely opinion. I prefer floyd. You might not. Time and experimenting tells.

Jonathan
If you're buying a guitar in this price range I'd steer well clear of anything with a FR, it's just going to be BAD. For someone who is going to be re-tuning a lot it makes no sense to get a FR, unless you want to block it, and that makes even less sense! :P

If you want a good investment, instead of buying a cheap guitar new and it losing value over your 2 years. Buy a half-decent second-hand guitar safe in the knowledge it will be worth more or less the same 2 years down the line..
Unless you are strictly playing bands that use a floyd regularly eg. Pantera, A7X then you shouldn't need a floyd. If you play songs with floyds occasionally you can just play the rythm guitar part.

Floyds make tuning a pain in the ass and make your tone sound thinner.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I got the Omen Extreme FR.

Has stayed in tune for a week now.. I didn't change tunings though..
Get it if u want stable tuning
Blues isn't hard to play, but it is hard to feel.

-Someone on the forum
Floyd Rose
Even though the string changing can be a bit stressful, the tuning stability is worth it. Obviously changing the strings is harder than fixed (stopbar tailpiece). I would say go with Floyd.
If you change tuning a lot though, i would go with fixed
changing the strings on a floyd is definately not the PITA you might think if youve never done it before.

Its a lil different, and will take some time longer than on a fixed bridge, but hey, its not THAT hard. First time I changed strings on a floyd, it was a lil new for me, but I saw how the strings were attached to the bridge and copied. The bad part was tuning it the first time. But its not that hard. More like, new.
Of course chaning strings on a strings through body+locking tuners is a lot faster, but man, who cares? Get a roadie. xD

Jonathan
Thanks everyone.
I realised that I'd go hardtail for now. I will rather get a separate FR guitar later.

I'm eyeing the Schecter Omen Extreme. Any comments on this guitar ?