ok have something i need help with. octaves of power chords. when i play them they sound like crap are all three strings supposed to be played or is one of them supposed to be muted? say for example a G power chord ok the octave for that would be A on the sixth string then C on the fourth string but what about the C on the Fifth string? Muted or un muted basicly is what I am asking.

P.S. I am still learning theory so if I got the notes totaly mixed up I apologize.
You would mute the fifth string. you want only the root and the octave to ring out and nothing else.
Either I'm just reading it wrong, or you're very confused. A G power chord consists of a G, D, and an octave G (if you like), played on the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings respectively. Comma overload...
Quote by gquady09
Either I'm just reading it wrong, or you're very confused. A G power chord consists of a G, D, and an octave G (if you like), played on the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings respectively. Comma overload...

This. Honestly, this is one of the things where trying to learn the theory behind it before learning the actual technique will result in you getting very confused. Learn the power chord structure (in this case a G power chord is 3 on the 6th string, and 5s on the 5th and 4th string). Take that structure and just move it around the fretboard. You'll soon decipher which chords sound good with each other.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
alright i think i got it now...man this music theory thing is really exausting my brain lol