What up UG.

Heres my problem. i have a prs 22 custom with passive seymour duncans.I am currently playin for a new metal band and tho my lead pick up is amazing i want to swap my neck pickup for an active a Seymour duncan black out to be exact.Can any body tell me the easiest way if any to accomplish this. Sry if my grammars bad just took a huge rip of some fire nuggetry OG Plzz help me out.
having only one active pickup could be a bit complicated
you should just replace both (im sorry if this isnt what you want to hear) and that would mean replacing most of the electronics
Last edited by supersac at Jul 9, 2010,
why would you only want one active and have it on the neck pu? just look at some dimarzios, but an active pickups might give you a stale sound
yah that really wasnt what i wanted to hear lol.

And true but the blackouts are much sicker than the average active they dnt all sound the same like EMGS but they really complement the wood and weight of a specific guitar.i just wanted one so i could have that rea raw metal crunch if i need it.Trust me i would never even think of putting a regular active EMG in such a nice guitar and sry again for rambling soo god damn baked lol
Quote by JONASx5150x
yah that really wasnt what i wanted to hear lol.

And true but the blackouts are much sicker than the average active they dnt all sound the same like EMGS but they really complement the wood and weight of a specific guitar.i just wanted one so i could have that rea raw metal crunch if i need it.Trust me i would never even think of putting a regular active EMG in such a nice guitar and sry again for rambling soo god damn baked lol

you can't really get that crunch you're looking for from a neck pu, usually that's reserved to the bridge pu, if you want a guitar fro metal all together go look at a schecter or something
Get yourself a Jazz neck pickup and switch the magnet out for an Alnico 4.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
who the hell uses A4 magnets? A3 maybe... A2, definitely. I don't even think A4 is readily available without special order from a magnet supply house. I get all of my magnets custom sintered...

you'd have to figure out a place to put a battery box and the electronics would require different ohm pots (25k vs 500k) plus if the actives don't have a built in preamp like the EMGs do, you'd have to install a preamp... your best bet is to go active all the way - not with one pickup...

if it's chug chug you want, just use the bridge pickup... neck position is for a fuller, richer tone with smoother drive... think slash-esque tones. high gain on a neck pickup will result in a muddy sound from the increased bass response and reduced attack of that position...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071

use the above link for pickup buying questions. and read the first page. dont just copy/paste the op of this thread into a post.

and nobody cares if you are stoned.