I need information from your personal experiences in this case,so here are the questions

guitar : fender strat with a hardcase

1)will he be allowed to take the guitar to the gate at the ticketing counter?
2)at the gate,will he be allowed to take the guitar into the cabin?
3)if not,will he able to gate check it without having to pay for extra luggage?

thanks for everything...he said that he tried to talk to the carrier (UA),but she had provided some vague answers that werent any help :/
I am travelling soon and called the flight company about just that,
they told me that a hard case (acoustic for me, so take into account the case would be bigger than en electric case) has to be handed in as luggage, and payed for as luggage.

I have however taken an acoustic and a electric (separate occasions) in a softcase into the cabin, and don't recalling paying extra for it.
I am flying to Hong Kong in August and have decided that the best way to handle it will be to check my guitar (in a hardcase with padding of course), and carry on my luggage. To me this seems to be the safest route, because I don't even know what I would do if I showed up to get on the connection flight in LA and they said I couldn't carry my guitar on. I would be straight ****ed.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
No, he most definitely will not be able to take it on carry-on. The hardshell case will not fit in the overhead compartment and they wont let him hold on to it in flight. Each carrier has different dimensional limits on carry-on, but the average is something along the lines of 24" x 16" x 10". A guitar case is much longer than that.

Actually, I think they'll make him check it in as Oversized Luggage. In that case there will probably be a fee.

And a word of warning to your friend--I've seen instrument cases horribly handled by the baggage guys on airplanes. Throwing them, tossing them, dropping them... I wish the best for your friend's guitar.
Quote by SheKILaDZE
I am travelling soon and called the flight company about just that,
they told me that a hard case (acoustic for me, so take into account the case would be bigger than en electric case) has to be handed in as luggage, and payed for as luggage.

I have however taken an acoustic and a electric (separate occasions) in a softcase into the cabin, and don't recalling paying extra for it.

hmm..whats the carrier?
Quote by Seref

And a word of warning to your friend--I've seen instrument cases horribly handled by the baggage guys on airplanes. Throwing them, tossing them, dropping them... I wish the best for your friend's guitar.

yeah I know,thats what I told him..

But when he called UA,they have said that IF the airplane has a separate cabin for coats and stuff he will be able to take it on board but if not told him to bring it the gate and they will try to help him(I'm guessing gate check in)

but still,if it got rejected in the ticketing counter thats it..he has no where or no one to give the guitar to..so he will have to pay for a another seat if they ask..
Quote by Seref
No, he most definitely will not be able to take it on carry-on. The hardshell case will not fit in the overhead compartment and they wont let him hold on to it in flight. Each carrier has different dimensional limits on carry-on, but the average is something along the lines of 24" x 16" x 10". A guitar case is much longer than that.

Actually, I think they'll make him check it in as Oversized Luggage. In that case there will probably be a fee.

My bro works as a baggage handler, and they HATE guitar cases, especially if they are rounded, and not flat. They beat the shit out of those on purpose.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by archenemyfan
hmm..whats the carrier?

turkish airlines for the soft cases,

air baltic for the upcoming flight (hard case)
Okay, I just thought of something that I will probably end up doing:

Since his guitar is a bolt on, just take of the neck and put the body and neck in a suitcase that is well padded and carry it on. It will also save a ton of space.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
He said He just read the UA policies,and for the second checked baggage it only costs a 100$ so he is planing to wrap the case with bubble wrap and put a ton of fragile stickers and put it in as checked baggage,and since that "UA broke my taylor" incident,they are caring much more for instruments than any other airline

Allowance/requirements
We understand that the valuable and fragile nature of many instruments requires that they be treated with special care. Please help us to keep your musical instruments safe by following the guidelines below.

You can carry on one guitar or similar or smaller sized musical instrument, which will count as your one carry-on item. The musical instrument, which may exceed 45 linear inches, must be able to be stowed under the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin or another approved stowage location. If space is unavailable prior to departure, the item must be checked as baggage.

Please make sure that each instrument is securely packed in a sturdy case. We will only accept a musical instrument as checked baggage if it is protected in a hard-sided case; no soft-sided cases are permitted, for the protection of your instrument.

looks like you can carry it in the plane too
I vote for the taking it apart. I'd hate for him to come to the plane thinking he can carry it on, and then come to the conclusion that there isn't any room for the guitar in the cabin, so that he has to check it in as luggage.

But, I do think, the safest way possible is to buy an extra seat... I know, it's more expensive, but most airlines have some sort of policy for these kinds of things (same as overly obese people that can't fit in one seat properly). Usually you can get an extra seat like that for about 50% or 75% of the price?
Quote by Y00p
I vote for the taking it apart. I'd hate for him to come to the plane thinking he can carry it on, and then come to the conclusion that there isn't any room for the guitar in the cabin, so that he has to check it in as luggage.

But, I do think, the safest way possible is to buy an extra seat... I know, it's more expensive, but most airlines have some sort of policy for these kinds of things (same as overly obese people that can't fit in one seat properly). Usually you can get an extra seat like that for about 50% or 75% of the price?

haha yeah,but there is also a third way,

that is paying 200+ and checking it under special handling (for special or oversized baggage)so it gets extra care..
A year and a half or so ago, I went to NYC from the Sea-Tac airport (Western Washington). I don't recall the airline but my only carry-on was my Gibson Les Paul in the original hardshell case and I took it on with no problem. Didn't pay any fees and just took it through the security checkpoint. Set it on the conveyor for the x-ray machine and got it back without a single "but-" from anyone.

Upon boarding, I asked the flight attendant and she said they would put it in the coat closet but it was full. So, I took it to my seat and put it in the overhead compartment before a bunch of other people shoved their stuff in there!

On the way back, it's the same story except they had room in the coat closet so they put it in there. Again, no hassle.

Of course, that was just my experience. I can't guarantee anything based only from that but that's as much information as I can offer you on the subject.
Quote by archenemyfan
haha yeah,but there is also a third way,

that is paying 200+ and checking it under special handling (for special or oversized baggage)so it gets extra care..

Ah, but you're assuming people actually care for these 'extra care' items.

The last time I was flying, I was sitting right next to the luggage loadout, and we had to wait in the plane because of heavy snow fall and the airline not wanting us to sue them for breaking our legs while walking to the terminal. As the luggage guys were loading out the luggage, I think I saw about three of those flightcases (like the ones a DJ would use for his LP's, or a guitarist for his effectboard), labeled all over with 'special care' and 'Fragile, this side up!' stickers. They were thrown around just as hard as anything else.

And this is not just me whose seen this. I talked to the airline in question about that, and what they said was basically 'Yep, we know, there's nothing we can do about it'.
i once brought a strat in hard case back from the usa to UK. i checked with the airline (delta) and they let me take it on as hand luggage. it wouldn't fit in the overhead locker so they stored it in the galley during the flight. no probs.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i carried on my BC Rich on a coffin case, those MFers are hella heavy and long, but as long as you act confident and dont act like your afriad of them taking your guitar away, it should all be fine
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
my findings

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259135

if you know it fits (like i do) i keep persisting to carry it on. they keep insisting and i politely say...cant i just try it? they shrug. then i carry it on.

you might be better with a soft case. i put my les in a hard case because the headstock is tilted. too much pressure on it and CRACK.

strats are safe. in a soft case you can lay them down without worry. not to mention bolt ons are easier to repair/replace
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 9, 2010,
they let my friend take his guitar though he was in first class, don't know about economy and it was a acoustic too. jumbo size cutaway.
I just flew back from Canada with a new Prestige. I removed the neck and put the guitar in my carry on bag. This worked better for me as they would have charged me $500 or so duty if I tried to bring it in the nice Ibanez case it came with. (I sold the case to a shop for $40) Also it never left my sight and they never searched the bag so it's all good. It's the best way to fly if you have a bolt-on and don't trust a gate check. Also I don't trust any baggage handlers even with a good case.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 9, 2010,